Managing cpu voltage and clock speeds question.
I used to be a tinkerer of my Android phones for long time and being an arm device I thought this would be similar. In Android I used an app called Tasker and would create a task with shell commands to change my gov and clock speeds, I guess this would be like cron jobs or similar for the Linux community out there. When I search  how to do this in Manjaro, a lot of other forums suggest to use the Manjaro Setting Manager. Though there isn't a kernel setting within this manager which makes me think it's handled differently on a non arm Manjaro dist. I tried searching the pine forums but with no success. How does one change the voltage and clock speeds of the cpus in Manjaro arm for our pb pros?
Changing cpu speed can be achieved via modifying file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq and /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq, assuming you are using schedutil scheduler. This process is the same regardless of which distribution you use or which arm device you use. As long as you're running linux, cpu speed can be altered this way. By the way, you should only use schedutil because this is a cpu with a mixture of big and little cores. Other cpu scheduler are not optimized to handle this big.little architecture the way schedutil does.

As for the cpu voltage, it cannot be changed during runtime. It can be changed via editing device tree but a reboot is needed for it to take effect. You will need to decompile /boot/dtbs/rockchip/rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb, edit it, recompile it, and replace the original file.
(12-25-2020, 12:04 AM)boteium Wrote: Changing cpu speed can be achieved via modifying file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq and  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq, assuming you are using schedutil scheduler. This process is the same regardless of which distribution you use or which arm device you use. As long as you're running linux, cpu speed can be altered this way. By the way, you should only use schedutil because this is a cpu with a mixture of big and little cores. Other cpu scheduler are not optimized to handle this big.little architecture the way schedutil does.

As for the cpu voltage, it cannot be changed during runtime. It can be changed via editing device tree but a reboot is needed for it to take effect. You will need to decompile /boot/dtbs/rockchip/rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb, edit it, recompile it, and replace the original file.
Thank you. Very appreciative. I'll stick to the frequency thing and not mess with the voltage.
i just change the governor via
"echo powersave |sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
be it conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
(12-31-2020, 03:10 AM)FeMike Wrote:
(12-25-2020, 12:04 AM)boteium Wrote: Changing cpu speed can be achieved via modifying file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq and  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq, assuming you are using schedutil scheduler. This process is the same regardless of which distribution you use or which arm device you use. As long as you're running linux, cpu speed can be altered this way. By the way, you should only use schedutil because this is a cpu with a mixture of big and little cores. Other cpu scheduler are not optimized to handle this big.little architecture the way schedutil does.

Thank you. Very appreciative. I'll stick to the frequency thing and not mess with the voltage.

Soo, how did it go? Were you able to push the freq. at all? To what freq. were you able to push it (and how stable was it running)?  Tongue

(02-27-2021, 11:03 AM)pbpanon Wrote: i just change the governor via
"echo powersave |sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor"
be it conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil

The CPU governors aren't able to OC though, those are more to manage how the power and system resources are being used (if I'm not mistaken, but please correct me if I am Smile )
(04-29-2021, 01:48 PM)QuinTeknoLife Wrote:
(12-31-2020, 03:10 AM)FeMike Wrote:

Soo, how did it go? Were you able to push the freq. at all? To what freq. were you able to push it (and how stable was it running)?  Tongue
look at my sig, pretty good OC i must say. Fun to toy around with it
PinebookPro v2.1 4xA53@1704Mhz / 2xA72@2208Mhz / GPU@1125Mhz / CCI-500@1200Mhz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about graphics support mcc 11 15,165 10-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sigmaris
  Question for GNOME3 users tophneal 23 24,212 03-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  OS development question vfr400racer 4 4,454 01-27-2020, 04:00 PM
Last Post: vfr400racer
  Question to anyone with entire system on NVMe as400 11 10,140 01-10-2020, 01:06 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Quick Question Wayland vs X Jeremiah Cornelius 3 5,295 12-07-2019, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Samarium151