PinePhone Game Thread
Some game controller reviews of : ===> Pine phone ( and Pro ) Bluetooth compatible controllers ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-24-2022, 01:38 AM)bcnaz Wrote: Some game controller reviews of :    ===> Pine phone ( and Pro )  Bluetooth compatible controllers  ?

I have a fair amount of controllers(xbox one, ipega, moga, steelseries, too ashamed to actually count them all Tongue ), and all of them share the same pitfalls. The Pinephone will pair with all of them just fine, and they are recognized as Xinput controllers. The big hurdle and a half for controller support on the pinephone/pro is entirely software based; 
  • Outside of emulators, almost no games or apps even recognize controllers.
  • The occasional game will recognize the d-pad, but that's hardly usable. (Sonic Robo Blast can work with enough patience/tinkering)
  • Bluetooth on the Pinephone gets spotty after extended use (haven't tested this one in about a year tho, might have improved)
  • KDE Plasma Mobile uses LibInput to recognize mouse/keyboard/touchscreen inputs. Libinput does not respect gamepads. This means trying to play anything with the gamepad on Manjaro+PlaMo will put the screen to sleep after 30 seconds no matter what. Libinput expects the software(games) to tell Linux to stay awake, which hasn't happened yet.

I personally have a Razer Kishi because I got a good deal on one, and to me it feels like it fits the Pinephone perfectly. It doesn't use bluetooth (thus more reliable connection), but it still hits all the other pitfalls.
I saw some on ebay that look like a ps4 controller, the phone snaps into place in landscape mode at the top of the controller.
any opinions on those ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-25-2022, 11:23 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I saw some on ebay that look like a ps4 controller, the phone snaps into place in landscape mode at the top of the controller.
any opinions on those ?

I've tried several of them, and while they are perfectly usable, its the little things that made them not my favorite. When you clip the phone into them, they become incredibly top heavy. Held normally, they feel notably heavier because the weight isn't directly between your hands. And (depending on the clip used) anything other than sitting upright will result in the phone clip swinging closed.

If you're really interested in one of those, personally I felt this one was by far the best bang for the buck.

However;
Something like this one feels much more balanced in the hands. The tradeoff for the second one I linked is that you can't really plug the phone in while in use.

Now if you feel like spending extra:
Gamesir X2 and razer kishi physically plug into the controller and have USB-C passthrough for charging, but the trade-off with them (if you can even call it that) is that they rely on the physical connection, so you cannot use them while the phone is farther away (like plugged into a monitor or TV)
I managed to get Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (console mode) compiled and running on the PinePhone. It pairs well with the keyboard. I followed the compiling instructions here: https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/mast...#compiling with a couple minor modifications. Before running 'make' as instructed, edit the crash.cc file, and remove these lines (toward the top of the file):

Code:
#ifndef __HAIKU__
        #define BACKTRACE_SUPPORTED
#endif

musl doesn't support backtrace, and the compilation will fail (at the very end) if you do not remove these lines.

Also, do not run 'make' with the '-j4' argument like the instructions describe. Running parallel jobs will make it compile faster, but will also get your pinephone blisteringly hot... and will cause the battery to drain faster than the charger can keep up.

Assuming you've got all the dependencies installed correctly (don't forget to install the '-dev' versions of packages), you can ignore the "git submodule update --init" command.

It can take quite a long time to compile, so make sure to have the phone plugged in.

[Image: Zq6nkRr.jpeg]
Retroarch is working well in all most every area except for the touch screen controls. Anyone had luck finding out what you need to do to make the touch input work for the overlay touch controls?
You can run some Steam Indie Games and GOG DRM-Free with Box86/64. Here is a guide for setting it up (https://github.com/Raezroth/Linux-ARM-Gaming-Chroot). This works on both the PinePhone and the PinePhone Pro.
Some time ago, I started implementing a free (as in freedom) real-time strategy video game that works on mobile GNU/Linux:

https://git.sr.ht/~xavi92/rts
Would it be easy to get Ren'py VN's on the Pinephone to work? I do know they have support for ARM Linux.

https://www.renpy.org/

The latest stable version of this open-source visual novel engine is 8.0.3
https://www.renpy.org/latest.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,067 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,521 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 459 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,937 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 381 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,477 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,599 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,664 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma