Flashing an SD card using Pinebook Pro? Konsole?
Since we can't get balena etcher on the Pinebook Pro is it possible to flash an SD card using the Konsole? Does anyone know how to do this?
Code:
unxz imagefile.img.xz
sudo dd if=imagefile.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync

you can skip the first command if you already have an uncompressed img file
unxz command takes a bit of time and gives you no output so just wait for it to end.
Always double check your SD is mmcblk1 using lsblk since the mmc number may change using other distro
You can avoid using the space for the unzipped image if you pipe between the extraction and the dd, or just use a tool that can handle compressed images in the first place. Something like:
xzcat imagefile.img.xz | sudo dd of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync
Or:
sudo bmaptool copy imagefile.img.xz /dev/mmcblk1

As has been said before you're overwriting entire disks/ssds/sd cards so double check you've got the right device, and that you know exactly what the command is going to do in case you or I have a typo or mistake in there.
I recently discovered bmaptool (mentioned by wibble) and I like it over dd, mainly for what the Mobian wiki indicates about it:

the Mobian wiki Wrote:bmaptool is a comfortable means to flash your image. It handles sparse files, so it can be considerably faster than plain dd. It also handles both .bmap and .gz files and can dowload them directly from an URL.

https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...image-file

bmaptool may not be installed by default on your Pinebook Pro's OS, but it is almost certainly in its repositories. I use Ubuntu 18.04 on my PC and I installed it from its repos.

I have found that by default, bmaptool looks for an accompanying *.bmap file; if it doesn't find one, it will throw an error. Apart from the Mobian project, I haven't seen other distros providing them. To use bmaptool without a bmap file, you need to add the --nobmap option.

Code:
sudo bmaptool copy --nobmap imagefile.img.xz /dev/mmcblkX

Hope this helps.
(12-06-2020, 01:07 AM)nightranger73 Wrote:
Code:
unxz imagefile.img.xz
sudo dd if=imagefile.img of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M status=progress conv=fsync

you can skip the first command if you already have an uncompressed img file
unxz command takes a bit of time and gives you no output so just wait for it to end.
Always double check your SD is mmcblk1 using lsblk since the mmc number may change using other distro

Thank you so much for your response.

So I chose the Manjaro ARM image from https://osdn.net/projects/manjaro-arm/st...07.img.xz/

Intially I tried putting the uncompressed file it into my SD card which is 29.7 GiB in order to decompress it but apparently the uncompressed file was too large for the sd card. So I then moved it to the desktop and on Konsole I CD into the desktop. I then ran the first command: unxz Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-dev-pinephon
e-201107.img.xz

The file was able to decompress from here I was completely lost because it was in the desktop and not the SD card so I tried moving the uncompressed image from the desktop to the SD card manually via a drag and drop and got this error

"

Cannot transfer ‘file:///run/media/sanjevr/6534-6132/Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-dev-pinephone-201107.img’ because it is too large. The destination filesystem only supports files up to 4GiB

"

So am I just supposed to CD into my SD card and how would I move it from the desktop to the SD card?

I am confused as to where I went wrong? Also how can the img be too large I thought my SD card was 29.7 GiB I don't get it.
you're using a super old filesystem, probably FAT32

you can skip the xz step so you can store it on your storage medium then uncompress it as you dd, i.e.
xz -dc my.xz | dd of=/dev/sdx status=progress conv=fsync bs=1M

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  install iso from sd card to emmc aular 2 168 03-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  SD Card has wrong capacity AndyM 11 2,127 06-11-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: AndyM
  trouble flashing eMMC TylerBlackberry 3 1,124 04-13-2023, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Device Unable To Read MicroSD Card _radv_ 19 5,681 02-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: _radv_
  SIM Card Slot Terror thismarty 4 1,364 12-21-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: thismarty
  MicroSD Card Reuse _radv_ 5 1,870 12-12-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: chainingsolid
  Pine Phone Doesn't Recognize New MicroSD Card _radv_ 3 1,306 11-23-2022, 05:19 AM
Last Post: _radv_
  SIM Card Install pineme 4 4,988 06-10-2022, 03:15 AM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Flashing gone wrong erg 9 4,171 05-28-2022, 10:52 AM
Last Post: fxc