Report from the bleeding edge: calling / texting
Fewer lockups the last week or so.

More failed outbound calls.  Rebooting now recommended if you fail twice in a row.  Is there an easier way?

Anbox has quit launching entirely, several updates have come down in the last week or two and still no launch.

Megapixels is much improved.  Even reads QR codes to the clipboard.  No video yet, no flash support, few adjustments.

Convergence is a little closer, an external monitor is fairly reliably detected now.  Phosh is entirely unsuited to being a window manager on an external monitor at this point.
(05-16-2021, 11:00 AM)jmorris Wrote: Fewer lockups the last week or so.

More failed outbound calls.  Rebooting now recommended if you fail twice in a row.  Is there an easier way?

Anbox has quit launching entirely, several updates have come down in the last week or two and still no launch.

Megapixels is much improved.  Even reads QR codes to the clipboard.  No video yet, no flash support, few adjustments.

Convergence is a little closer, an external monitor is fairly reliably detected now.  Phosh is entirely unsuited to being a window manager on an external monitor at this point.
how did you get QR codes to work?
(05-30-2021, 06:14 AM)mudflap Wrote:

It's built into Megapixels. You just open the app, hold the phone to a QR code and a box around the code will appear in the preview window which you can tap on.
(05-31-2021, 01:36 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 06:14 AM)mudflap Wrote:

It's built into Megapixels. You just open the app, hold the phone to a QR code and a box around the code will appear in the preview window which you can tap on.
wow! it works! thank you!
(05-16-2021, 11:00 AM)jmorris Wrote: More failed outbound calls.  Rebooting now recommended if you fail twice in a row.  Is there an easier way?

Is this related to this topic? https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=12236

I made a fix for that: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-br...quests/545

I wanted to post there, but the topic is closed.

EDIT: Fix is merged and available in MM 1.16.6 and later!
Another month, more changes, more pain.

Calling out never works the first attempt.  Usually works the second time.  Press the dial button, wait a few seconds for it to fail, try again and it switches to the call progress dialog.  Touch tone support is still erratic.  Some systems accept keypresses, some never see them, some are borderline.  Adopted the habit of rebooting after every other call because after a couple of calls inbound becomes unreliable.  Can't find a way to disable a second call ringing while on a call.  Accept the second call and lose hard.  There is no way obvious way to end the first call other than reboot.  Calls aren't always showing in the call history.  Probably related to the Chatty problem below.

In the last few days things have taken a turn for the worse.  All the efforts to get MMS have destabilized SMS.  Chatty randomly closes.  Deleting a conversation will 100% reliably terminate it.  The thead does get deleted so relaunching isn't a major pain.  Texts come in, the notification pops up with part of the message, clicking "Show Message" sometimes does, sometimes doesn't.  Because sometimes the message simply isn't in the chat app to show.  Yesterday I got a billing message (I'm paygo) and never saw even a notification for the message the billing notice was for.

Anbox is a write off at this point, it doesn't look like it is going to come back again anytime soon so some other arrangement to replace FreeOTP is going to be needed other than keeping my old Android handset handy.
Shocked 
ModemManager: Quick suspend/resume

I have tested PMOS (edge) for the last two weeks.

The pinephone rings reliably at the first dial tone. Additional I had some longer phone calls with good sound quality.
Up to now, everything works really fine. I never lost the cellular connection within the last two weeks,
it seems to be more stable now. Thank you very much, Dylan. [Image: smile.png]

What is still an issue - incoming calls appear often twice, with the telephone number and as "anonymous call". At the last ring
tones there is an echo sometimes.
Another month or so and more bugs.

Calls are getting more reliable as texting becomes useless.  It is now common to lose texts entirely, or have one come in with a week delay.  Rebooting sometimes causes a text to appear, if you know you are missing one... usually after they call asking why you didn't reply to their text.  Grrr.  Still can't configure calling features so can't disable a second call coming in while in a call, and you still lose hard if that happens.  Haven't done much touchtone use in the last month so can't report if it is improved or not.

Anbox at least launches... some days.  But while the keyboard was almost useless before, it is entirely useless now, as in no keystrokes register, except that pressing backspace gets an "=" and numbers or "." work normally.  Using a BT keyboard gets different but equally unusable results.  Today the splash screen will hang, apparently forever, unless you tap it.  Did get FreeOTP to launch.  Once.  Restarting anbox-container-manager isn't enough to sort it out when it stops launching things, only rebooting works.

The bug with phosh has now survived multiple updates to almost everything related and it persists.  Xsettings enabled, sad face, disabled everything runs.  Pretty sure there are consequences to not having Xsettings running but.... no choice.

Other distributions solved detecting both headphones and headsets months ago, PMOS still can't see a pair of headphones.  So I have a script to manually frobnicate ALSA so my noise canceling headphones work.  No way I'm diving into the event system, ALSA and the kernel to find the nexus between all that mess.
(12-02-2020, 04:28 PM)jmorris Wrote: Been carrying for a week or so now, here is the current state of core functionality on PMOS-Phosh (edge)

@jmorris 

I find the phone starts much faster with wifi turned off,  besides when the wifi is turned on,  it starts before the modem does.

( just in my experience with  'out of the box'  operating systems )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(07-30-2021, 10:25 AM)Juergen Wrote: ModemManager: Quick suspend/resume

I have tested PMOS (edge) for the last two weeks.

The pinephone rings reliably at the first dial tone. Additional I had some longer phone calls with good sound quality.
Up to now, everything works really fine. I never lost the cellular connection within the last two weeks,
it seems to be more stable now. Thank you very much, Dylan. [Image: smile.png]

What is still an issue - incoming calls appear often twice, with the telephone number and as "anonymous call". At the last ring
tones there is an echo sometimes.

You're welcome!

The double call thing, I started to notice this as well when working on the next version of ModemManager.
This is another modem firmware bug, trying to find a workaround for it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Plasma mobile latest stable @pp1.2b voice calling audio issue n05ph3r42 3 683 10-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  pmos/phosh edge update and audio disappears robthebold 9 5,234 07-10-2022, 03:26 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  Texting works (But...) Zweitaktmotor 7 9,736 05-30-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: nieral
  No sound on edge posh since an update 2 days ago ? winktheman 2 3,222 05-27-2021, 12:49 PM
Last Post: winktheman
  Contact app broken on edge jmorris 3 10,286 05-03-2021, 04:49 AM
Last Post: janvlug