Whats the latest with UB touch?
Lately it seems most of us moved over to mobian, manjaro and arch. Wondering if any die-hards around the UB space have noticed recent progress?
I can't find the words for how much more i love the UB/Lomiri interface vs phishphosh. Really hope it comes up!

TBH i was switching sd cards multiple times a day and also tinkering myself for the first couple months but that excitement has worn off and im really just waiting for some good news now.
I have not paid attention to the development process of UBPorts, but Manjaro is also working on a Image that will support Lomiri: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/39561
(12-03-2020, 05:49 AM)threepwood Wrote: I have not paid attention to the development process of UBPorts, but Manjaro is also working on a Image that will support Lomiri: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-arm-...hone/39561

I'm with Guybrush, Manjaro with Lomiri is promising.  Hoping it'll develop faster than UBports seems to be.
I'm just throwing out theories, but I think the UBPorts team is focusing on other things for a couple reasons:

I think the pinephone is different enough from other phones that getting 100% compatibility is a huge ordeal for their small team. A good chunk of what's getting in the way (at least at first) is/was proper hardware support. While other distros focus on hardware drivers, I'm guessing their skills were best put to use focusing on fine tuning the OS itself (rebasing on a more recent version of Ubuntu, better dev tools, etc) and to keep income flowing to support this they're also focusing on porting new devices.

Earlier this year I tried looking into how to make an app for Ubuntu touch, and the docs were confusing, they were in the middle of this huge transition from the tools Canonical made  (and abandoned), switching to new tools (I think "clickable"?). UBPorts isn't a huge team from what I can tell, and they're spread a little thin. 

That's not to say what they're doing isn't really impressive, they just have a huge backlog they're trying to tackle from *before* the pinephone. I think Ubuntu Touch on the pinephone runs pretty well already, but it's not going to change much anytime soon until the UBPorts team finishes some other big hurdles or finds more volunteers.

(This is all just what I think so far, please set me straight if I'm wrong)
They talk about the progression on the latest Q&A 5 days ago. Link: https://youtu.be/FD67UPVFouM?t=562

They are working on it, and you should already be able to test the new kernel update if you change the update channel to "new kernel" or something similar.
The 2 biggest thing that I notice that does not work is Cellular Internet and receiving text messages. Internet will work on Wifi but not on cellular and you can send text and the other person will receive it but you will not be able to receive text back. They are the 2 biggest thing I notice that need to be fixed to be able to use as a everyday phone.

Thanks
tried the new kernel update - it works but the phone became very laggy and the camera stopped working. Reinstall latest dev and that was fine again. Will return to this another time.
1 Now with Pinephone Pro (used to have Pinephone and Pinetab) cooking on Mobian - Seasoned Ubuntu user since 2007
2 Known to break things - often
3 Sometimes known to fix things then see 2 above
When I ran it last weekend I had calls incoming and out going as well as text both directions. If I recall correctly mobile data worked also (T-Mobile MNNO). Lomiri would crash occasionally, but over all it's looking promising. I hope UBports continues their efforts up on the pine phone. I love UB touch and miss running it on my nexus 4 and 5.
(12-11-2020, 10:00 AM)gamerminstrel Wrote: I'm just throwing out theories, but I think the UBPorts team is focusing on other things for a couple reasons:
I think you may be right. Some time ago, I read from a comment from a UBports dev that they were disappointed that the influx of new developers coming with the Pinephone they hoped for didn't materialize for them. I think that the points you make may very well be the reason. Once they complete the upgrade of their system/software/library stack (from 16.04 to 20.04) and dev tools, it may make their project more attractive to new developers interested in adapting it to the Pinephone.

And what would be very interesting is the migration of the Lomiri UI (formerly Unity 8) to more distros. For now only Manjaro has it (still in Alpha stage I think), and a Mobian port is apparently in the works but will require packages to be upstreamed to Debian.
Mobian with Lomiri - now you are talking!

Bet that would be nice with both decent feel (lomiri) and stability (Mobian) AND no phosh

Three things that brighten my day
1 Now with Pinephone Pro (used to have Pinephone and Pinetab) cooking on Mobian - Seasoned Ubuntu user since 2007
2 Known to break things - often
3 Sometimes known to fix things then see 2 above

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ubuntu Touch on Pine64 Rondarius 11 3,001 10-11-2023, 12:36 PM
Last Post: Rondarius
  Ubuntu Touch vs Standard Pinephone OS MarsColonist 8 5,426 06-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Reinstall Ubuntu Touch on PinePhone with 10 drives? Peter Gamma 4 2,676 05-24-2022, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  UB Touch build with debos layton-dev 0 2,177 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Last Post: layton-dev
  Ubuntu Touch with OTA updates Luke 131 162,270 04-21-2021, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Nooblife
  Horrible energy consume on Pinephone/UB-Touch firefox-58 9 11,317 10-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: plainenough
  Pinephone 3G Bluetooth Working Pretty Well With Latest Mobian Updates rmcg 0 2,426 09-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Last Post: rmcg
  How to enable SSH on UBPorts Ubuntu Touch? eaglecup 12 19,569 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM
Last Post: voidmain
  No SMS on latest nightly firefox-58 1 2,884 09-15-2020, 04:24 AM
Last Post: Helium75
  Ubuntu Touch 6 brings camera to RC channel doelf 2 3,970 09-01-2020, 02:15 PM
Last Post: doelf