Price of Pinephone is going to increase by $100?
(12-03-2020, 04:47 AM)displacefish Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 09:27 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I wish we could say "Open Source Software" in stead of "Linux".

NetBSD is why I'm here, and it's not a linux distru.
AOSP is FOSS too, but the entire purpose of the project is avoiding it. You could call it "Linux and *BSD", but that's slightly unwieldy. Plus at that point, what if someone wants to port e.g. Plan 9? A perfectly descriptive name might be "non-AOSP FOSS phone" but that's even more unwieldy.

So while I agree, I can understand the rationale behind the shorthand of just calling it "Linux". Much like how most people don't bother spelling out "GNU/Linux".
AOSP can also be considered "Linux", so in this instance calling it "non-AOSP FOSS phone" really is the correct term if you're pedantic. Wink

Speaking of the GNU/Linux nomenclature, should we call Mac OS X GNU/XNU/Darwin/macOS since it comes with GNU Nano and bash (I actually think it's zsh since recently)? Angel
So I'm not really sure what the intention behind the question of this thread subject is. It's sold nearly for free and it's the same even with 100$ increase If you consider what it takes to develop something like this, improve it (mb revisions) and take care of the whole infrastructure, surrounding the end-to-end process, it just makes sense.

We're part of something big here, if the project succeeds, and we should be really happy about the fact how affordable it is.

IMHO if you're searching for a cheap phone, get some generic android one, but if you're interested in how pinephone can change the whole situation in smartphone world, you don't care about the price that much (at least in this phase), just look at the librem example - it just proves that pine64 did go in right direction (by choosing different price strategy for phone/OS in development stage).

At least I can't imagine paying that amout of money for librem (at its current state), but it just doesn't mean that anything else should be just for free.
(12-03-2020, 02:30 PM)marcih Wrote: Speaking of the GNU/Linux nomenclature, should we call Mac OS X GNU/XNU/Darwin/macOS since it comes with GNU Nano and bash (I actually think it's zsh since recently)? Angel
While this probably isn't the place to discuss this (and I'll take the blame for bringing it up in the first place), I do want to point out that GNU's claim is of building the coreutils and multiple other supporting utilities "that make up an operating system", while Linux provides only the kernel. In macOS, the XNU kernel is complemented by a large layer of mostly Apple-made tools - even the standard POSIX utilities are non-GNU. A single text editor (and perhaps shell) don't make up an operating system.

You could perhaps call it XNU/Darwin (or Darwin/XNU), but since Apple, who is developing both XNU and Darwin, themselves chose to market it as macOS, there isn't really a point to changing their own nomenclature.

Quote:AOSP can also be considered "Linux", so in this instance calling it "non-AOSP FOSS phone" really is the correct term if you're pedantic. Wink
Right, you're definitely correct there.
As people are saying if they are rasing the price they better be using for better software or pinephone 2
owo notices your distro.
Gimme gimme gimme I deserve it!
In my opinion it's totally fair to sell the pinephone cheaper within the community.

With the extra 100$ it's possible to support the developers for their great work.
You know, something occured to me: I have no need whatsoever for extra technical support, warranty, etc., so would not be interested in the "retail" model... However, I would gladly have paid $250 for the phone, and have the extra $100 contribute directly to the development of the software.
The pinephone's dependency on volunteer software projects is its biggest weakness right now. And while it has made amazing strides and I have great confidence in the future of the project, I do wonder what more could be achieved if some money is raised to support the developers involved enough to let them dedicate part time or even full time effort into the project.
(12-05-2020, 09:02 PM)displacefish Wrote: You know, something occured to me: I have no need whatsoever for extra technical support, warranty, etc., so would not be interested in the "retail" model... However, I would gladly have paid $250 for the phone, and have the extra $100 contribute directly to the development of the software.
The pinephone's dependency on volunteer software projects is its biggest weakness right now. And while it has made amazing strides and I have great confidence in the future of the project, I do wonder what more could be achieved if some money is raised to support the developers involved enough to let them dedicate part time or even full time effort into the project.

It's not possible to pay the developers for their working hours - that's not the point of a community, too.
You can support them e.g. with hardware and a great communication platform.

In my opinion, volunteer software projects are the biggest strength of pinephone development -
without voluntary development, there would be nothing.
Hardware and a great communication platform have to be paid for somehow. I still believe though that it's best to contribute directly to the software developer of your choice, not to Pine64 who would then determine which software developer to support.
(12-05-2020, 09:02 PM)displacefish Wrote: I would gladly have paid $250 for the phone, and have the extra $100 contribute directly to the development of the software.

You can directly donate $100 to the developers of your choice, or buy Librem 5, which includes software development in its price.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 6 536 04-22-2024, 02:22 AM
Last Post: bongosunny
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 339 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 228 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 108,871 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,776 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 599 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,333 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 490 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,672 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,935 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma