Price of Pinephone is going to increase by $100?
My take on this subject:

Pine64 is giving people a hint, that the prices of the device will slightly increase in the near future.

I believe, that since the last few positive updates on a few popular linux distros for the PinePhone (Manjaro is a good example), which made the device to be pretty close to be daily-driver worthy, Pine64 do not want to only "break even" anymore, they want to make a few dollars profit, probably to enable them to invest in hardware and design improvements for the PinePhone. IMHO as long as the price increase is small and serves a good purpose, it shouldn't be an issue, only if there was a sharp and un-explainable price increase, that is when I would say something is off or does no longer aligns with the values this project stands for from the begining.

my 2 cents
(12-02-2020, 01:39 AM)kern707 Wrote: IMHO as long as the price increase is small and serves a good purpose, it shouldn't be an issue, only if there was a sharp and un-explainable price increase, that is when I would say something is off or does no longer aligns with the values this project stands for from the begining.

Well, an increase in price of 67% is not really a "small" one... But if this can help to have a good Pinephone 2 (or pro?), hopefully with a great camera and decent open CPU/GPU, I'm happy for it.
Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
(12-02-2020, 02:44 AM)deedend Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 01:39 AM)kern707 Wrote: IMHO as long as the price increase is small and serves a good purpose, it shouldn't be an issue, only if there was a sharp and un-explainable price increase, that is when I would say something is off or does no longer aligns with the values this project stands for from the begining.

Well, an increase in price of 67% is not really a "small" one... But if this can help to have a good Pinephone 2 (or pro?), hopefully with a great camera and decent open CPU/GPU, I'm happy for it.

In this case you are absolutely right,

but.. take into account that this price increase that they "plan", is quite steep since the PinePhone that was pre-sold 3-4-5-6 months ago as a device that could not make calls at all, camera did not work, UI responsiveness was sluggish etc.. now is capable of doing all of those things **almost** reliably.. so now it is not longer just an experimental device but an actual linux phone - I guess that now they want to charge what it actually cost them to build them plus a small margin (that hopefully is to be used to improve the PinePhone and not to "move into a fancier office" Tongue ), maybe Pine64 think that by now, most people who purchased the device as "early adapters" or as "testers / contributors" already have the devices, and the new price is aimed at more mainstream users who would like to try a PinePhone? who knows.. I am as clueless as you all Wink
$250 for a basic, reliable, works-out-of-the-box open phone is very reasonable in my opinion. But the Pinephone OS:es are far from that!

Things that IMO must work before this can be a mainstream phone:

* Idle battery life at least 24 hours, consistently (not just "if you're lucky, given the right moon phase").
* Call quality good enough to have an unhindered conversation. Audio must work - always!
* SIM must work consistently with all carriers.
* SMS and MMS that always work.
* These things must not break after the phone has been sleeping for awhile.
* The phone must wake up from sleep, and ring, immediately on incoming calls (not on the sixth ring) - and it must be possible to answer them!

This is still a development platform - with some usability and great potential, but not ready for a mainstream price yet. Don't you agree?
(12-02-2020, 10:52 AM)bitnick Wrote: $250 for a basic, reliable, works-out-of-the-box open phone is very reasonable in my opinion. But the Pinephone OS:es are far from that!

Things that IMO must work before this can be a mainstream phone:

* Idle battery life at least 24 hours, consistently (not just "if you're lucky, given the right moon phase").
* Call quality good enough to have an unhindered conversation. Audio must work - always!
* SIM must work consistently with all carriers.
* SMS and MMS that always work.
* These things must not break after the phone has been sleeping for awhile.
* The phone must wake up from sleep, and ring, immediately on incoming calls (not on the sixth ring) - and it must be possible to answer them!

This is still a development platform - with some usability and great potential, but not ready for a mainstream price yet. Don't you agree?

I agree with you about that, the PinePhone is making great progress, but is still in development phase, I would not advise a mainstream user that is looking for an out-of-the-box fully functional phone to get one (not yet)
For anyone who's reading this and hasn't seen the blog post explaining it:
https://www.pine64.org/2020/12/02/pine-s...il-stores/
I wish we could say "Open Source Software" in stead of "Linux".

NetBSD is why I'm here, and it's not a linux distru.
(12-02-2020, 09:27 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I wish we could say "Open Source Software" in stead of "Linux".

AOSP is FOSS too, but the entire purpose of the project is avoiding it. You could call it "Linux and *BSD", but that's slightly unwieldy. Plus at that point, what if someone wants to port e.g. Plan 9? A perfectly descriptive name might be "non-AOSP FOSS phone" but that's even more unwieldy.

So while I agree, I can understand the rationale behind the shorthand of just calling it "Linux". Much like how most people don't bother spelling out "GNU/Linux".
(12-02-2020, 09:27 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I wish we could say "Open Source Software" in stead of "Linux".

Linux is open source, but open source is not Linux.
Not sure what this has to do with Pinephone increasing its price however.
Nothing. But it's being sold as a Linux phone for Linux people, per that link. Just like my PBP which doesn't run Linux yet says Linux on the bottom.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pinephone virtual keyboard aular 4 299 04-10-2024, 03:45 PM
Last Post: aular
  PinePhone Doesn't Boot LED Doesn't Show Any Signs When Charging dorkydev 1 199 04-02-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 470 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 107,974 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,715 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 574 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 2,257 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 475 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,635 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,852 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma