How are folks using the Pinephone (sim swapping?)
(12-01-2020, 08:45 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I can't swap SIMs because my flip phone uses a standard-size SIM versus the Pinephone's micro-SIM. So I'm using a Tracfone 30-day pre-paid smartphone plan  for experimentation.
That's what SIM adapters are for. You can get them cheaply from ebay, amazon, a phone shop etc. but I've always used the multi-format carrier they arrive in (at least over here...) to go between mini, micro and nano sizes as required.
(12-01-2020, 10:16 AM)wibble Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 08:45 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I can't swap SIMs because my flip phone uses a standard-size SIM versus the Pinephone's micro-SIM. So I'm using a Tracfone 30-day pre-paid smartphone plan  for experimentation.
That's what SIM adapters are for. You can get them cheaply from ebay, amazon, a phone shop etc. but I've always used the multi-format carrier they arrive in (at least over here...) to go between mini, micro and nano sizes as required.

Thanks, I was thinking something like that must be available. Looks like I should be able to cut down my standard SIM to Micro-SIM size:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6T1Mygucak

(Before doing that though I need to copy all my contacts off of the SIM just in case! Have to do that by hand as far as I know.)

Addendum: I think I'm going to buy a SIM cutter for about $10 rather than risk my shaky hands cutting the SIM up manually. Also I found that my flip phone has the ability to export all contacts as as a vcf file via bluetooth, so taking that and guidance in the Mobian software forum I have all my contacts transferred into the Pinephone.
Very old model I assume?
My flip phone uses a micro sim card (and micro SD card for extra storage, but not really relevant).
(12-01-2020, 05:42 PM)ryo Wrote:
Very old model I assume?
My flip phone uses a micro sim card (and micro SD card for extra storage, but not really relevant).

It's an LG B470. Full-size SIM, no SD card slot, compatible with 3G service which is going away in a little over a year. Not much to it, just a basic phone.
SIM card arrived.
However, I have set up the APN as written in the instructions, called to complete the process, and...
While the SIM card in the iPhone had no longer any connection (as it should), the SIM card in the Pinephone didn't get any connection too.

Meaning I'll need to get to the Softbank store to solve it. ><;
At least the chat support didn't give their classic "you have call us" response which they always use as an all in one solution to all problems.
I found the instructions here, and followed it:
https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues/-/issues/66

Once done, it started flickering between 4G and no connection a few times, and then:
エラー: 接続のアクティベーションに失敗: 不明なエラー
ヒント: 'journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=〇〇 + NM_DEVICE=cdc-wdm0' を使用して詳細を取得します。

Translation:
Error: Connection activation has failed: unknown error
Hint: Using 'journalctl -xe NM_CONNECTION=〇〇 + NM_DEVICE=cdc-wdm0', you can obtain details.

So I ran the command, and the logs are empty.
My T-Mobile postpaid SIM that's configured for 5G Standalone works like a charm with the fast.t-mobile.com APN. What's funny is that under Manjaro and Arch is that my US Mobile "GSM LTE" (aka t-mo) can't send SMS but can recieve.
I went to the SoftBank shop a few days ago (this time they didn't mind that I wasn't wearing a mask, so it really depends on who's working at that moment).
After trying to solve this issue for 3 hours, it turned out SoftBank USIM cards don't support anything other than iPhone, Android, and garake (flip phones, these are all running an Android AOSP).
When I asked for a free SIM (the type of USIM that will work on every device and without the need for an IMEI number), they confirmed they don't have it.

So if you're a Pinephone user and consider moving to Japan (or you already live here), SoftBank is not for you (probably Y! Mobile too, it's the same company).
From my own experience, I wouldn't recommend them even if you're using an iPhone, garake, or Android phone.

Though the funny part was when after they tried to navigate through the system settings, they asked me what Android version it's running.
When I told them multiple times it's not Android, they thought I was some kind of conspiracy theorist or something (nowadays, 100% of "conspiracy theories" end up being true, because welcome to the year 2020).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Update:
I just received the USIM card from Rakuten Mobile.
I got it to work using the APN "rakuten.jp", username and password is both blank.
Phone call works, 4G works, I didn't try SMS/mobile email yet, because their customer portal didn't get updated yet, so it still shows my USIM is "in preparation", so I can't set up an SMS address yet.

I'll give it a try for some time, and then I'll consider to moving my existing SoftBank subscription over to Rakuten Mobile if I'm satisfied (I'll try in both country side and urban area, since I live somewhere right in the middle of the 2)
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 298 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,062 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,520 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 458 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,936 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 380 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,476 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,595 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,663 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 991 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma