Librem 5 (finally) shipping
But putting it behind the USB gave us a very "problematic" and up to now abolutely unusable modem solutions for RELIABLY getting incoming calls and SMS

Up to now - many builds tested - It is better to take the PP only as an backup or testing phone with You. If You need to receive incoming calls properly and reliably... Take another phone as main!
(12-04-2020, 01:07 AM)as400 Wrote: [S]ure. Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not lamenting. What we have now is much better than having nothing.
No worries, I get you, I was just adding to the conversation. Smile

(12-04-2020, 04:30 AM)firefox-58 Wrote: But putting it behind the USB gave us a very "problematic" and up to now abolutely unusable modem solutions for RELIABLY getting incoming calls and SMS

Up to now - many builds tested - It is better to take the PP only as an backup or testing phone with You. If You need to receive incoming calls properly and reliably... Take another phone as main!
Do we know it's because it's on the USB? If so, L5 should be having similar issues but I'm not aware of anyone saying so. From what I could gather, the issues are because Quectel's modem firmware is so spectacularly bad and doesn't behave how it should, or rather what the devs expect according to what Quectel's documentation says.
There are problems with waking up modem from sleep/power saving mode.

I tried some usbcore settings but it didn't help tbh. Although there are some good news:

1. There is new modemmanager and it has a patch for waking up modem sooner when there is incoming call.
2. I heard that some dev has discovered that sometimes, when modem wakes, the current on usb bus comes down to 100 mA which causes modem not to wake properly. So probably - if it's not hw problem - the solution is close.
(12-04-2020, 06:22 AM)as400 Wrote: There are problems with waking up modem from sleep/power saving mode.

I tried some usbcore settings but it didn't help tbh. Although there are some good news:

1. There is new modemmanager and it has a patch for waking up modem sooner when there is incoming call.
2. I heard that some dev has discovered that sometimes, when modem wakes, the current on usb bus comes down to 100 mA which causes modem not to wake properly. So probably - if it's not hw problem - the solution is close.
I wasn't aware, thanks for the heads-up! Have you got a link to the ModemManager MR regarding the patch?
@marcih

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-br...quests/408

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mobile-br...issues/194
@as400 Cheers, subscribing to issue #194.
Review: Librem 5 Evergreen vs. Pinephone

https://thatgeoguy.ca/blog/2020/12/06/Li...Pinephone/
This reviewer's unrelenting disappointment is refreshingly honest - and unintentionally funny Wink

Librem 5: Production Evergreen Model Impression
Well, I got my Librem5 yesterday and I have a Pinephone from the UBPorts batch.

My first impressions are very conflicted. On one hand, the Librem is much more polished out of the box. Everything works smoothly and there are no issues with screen size, etc. It is significantly faster than the Pinephone. I have tried Mobian, PostmarketOS and Sxmo on the latter. And with exception of Sxmo, the Pinephone was almost unusable as a daily phone because of input lag when typing and screen size issues, etc. If I ware a regular person, there would be no doubt which one of the two I would want, even considering the price difference.

But, the Librem has a very "Apple" feel to it in that it directs you to use the apps they supply and what they supply is very, very limited. There is not even a Matrix client in the app store. So in practice, this one is also unusable for me too, unless I decide to put workarounds on it myself.

Both phones will continue to improve, I am sure of that. But at the moment, a combination would be best for me: hardware of Librem, freedom of Pinephone.

(I know that I could put whatever on the Librem too, that's the point of these phone after all. But I don't have time enough to start hacking on them yet, so I am judging the out-of-the-box experience now.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shipping Updates curtisg 0 748 07-26-2022, 12:26 PM
Last Post: curtisg
  High shipping costs Peter Gamma 18 13,281 06-06-2022, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  WTS: (Rarely used) Pinephone Beta Edition with Convergence Package - DHL shipping vatin 3 1,899 05-25-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: vatin
  Comparing the Librem 5 USA and PinePhone Beta amosbatto 6 3,324 12-11-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: ryo
  Shipping to Russia in 2021 cyberpunk_on_pinephone 8 8,107 12-09-2021, 03:32 PM
Last Post: hyperkahler
  Comparing a Huawei smartphone to the PinePhone and Librem 5 amosbatto 0 1,143 10-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Last Post: amosbatto
  Shipping estimate unrealb2 12 8,319 09-11-2021, 11:02 PM
Thumbs Down Extreme disappointement with Pine's shipping department disappointment 26 15,914 09-11-2021, 10:55 PM
  Pinephone shipping to UK nb8550 2 2,659 09-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Last Post: User 22018
  Shipping stuck on creating label, tracking complaints wizardofthemodem 3 3,441 05-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: zvand