How to update the OS
This is embarrasing but I briefly saw the option to update the OS when I first turned on my Manjaro phone but now I can't find how to update the OS and google is not my friend today. Is there a video somewhere that CLEARLY shows how to update the OS?

Also, FWIW, it took me 1/2 an hour of wasted time on youtube just to find out that the initial lockscreen passcode is 123456.
sudo pacman -Syu

will update all of the system packages
Why use Youtube? Passwords are our Wiki: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_S...e_Releases
(11-29-2020, 12:33 AM)hiimtye Wrote: sudo pacman -Syu

Sorry but, is this the same as reflashing to a new version? Apologies if my question is silly
Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
(11-29-2020, 05:41 PM)deedend Wrote:

Sorry but, is this the same as reflashing to a new version? Apologies if my question is silly
sudo pacman -Syu is the same as apt upgrade
sudo pacman -Syyu is the same as apt dist-upgrade

Neither will erase what you have on the phone. So, no, not the same as flashing a new OS, just upgrading the one you've got.
(11-29-2020, 06:11 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 05:41 PM)deedend Wrote:

sudo pacman -Syu is the same as apt upgrade
sudo pacman -Syyu is the same as apt dist-upgrade

Neither will erase what you have on the phone. So, no, not the same as flashing a new OS, just upgrading the one you've got.

OK thanks, that's explain a lot for an unexperienced debian old fart like me, but what I mean is, is the result in terms of features the same as reflashing the whole thing? Or is it always advisable to perform a full flash to have the very last version?
Pinephone Braveheart
Pinephone Manjaro CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Mobian CE 3/32Gb
Pinephone Pro Explorer Edition
-Syyu forces a refresh of all sources. it's not the same as dist-upgrade. it's what you do when your local database can't be read due to corruption. it shouldn't be abused, to save hosting resources.

Manjaro/Arch is a rolling release, all packages are always at their latest, there is no multi-release cycle, just a series of packages being updated as they become stable enough to coexist with all other packages at their defaults
Which is what you would want to do if your local files are corrupted and -Syu doesn't work.. Hence my dist-upgrade comment. I assumed this is what he wanted. No, not an exact equivalent as arch is a rolling release.

To answer his question, usually doing an upgrade, or if that hangs, a dist-upgrade will solve a lot of your problems and is sufficient. As an intermediary, you can manually remove or re-install a bad program as long as your system isn't too borked. But, for some changes, or after a lot of hacky experimentation, it is best just to reflash. As long as you are just updating your OS from the repos, upgrading is fine. If something breaks big time, or something major such as the boot gets changed, as with Megi's 5.9 kernel, then it's best just to reflash if you are not a linux expert.

And yes, all features will be the latest with any upgrade, with the exception of things that need boot/firmware changes. Those require reflashing or firmware patching.
(11-29-2020, 06:27 PM)deedend Wrote: OK thanks, that's explain a lot for an unexperienced debian old fart like me, but what I mean is, is the result in terms of features the same as reflashing the whole thing? Or is it always advisable to perform a full flash to have the very last version?
That is the beauty of rolling release distributions, you don't need to re-install the OS ever again after installing once (unless of course you fatally bricked the OS, or get yourself a new computer/phone).

I understand the worries if you're coming from Ubuntu or Mint, every OS version upgrade resulted in a broken OS.
Manjaro and Arch don't have this problem.

(11-29-2020, 07:04 PM)hiimtye Wrote: -Syyu forces a refresh of all sources. it's not the same as dist-upgrade. it's what you do when your local database can't be read due to corruption. it shouldn't be abused, to save hosting resources.

Manjaro/Arch is a rolling release, all packages are always at their latest, there is no multi-release cycle, just a series of packages being updated as they become stable enough to coexist with all other packages at their defaults
I always use -Syyu simply to make very sure that nothing goes wrong, and I'm simply used to it.

There is a little difference between Manjaro and Arch however.
Arch deploys the latest versions of packages as soon as they're available, while Manjaro usually waits a few days to make sure the latest version doesn't break the system.
Like a few years ago a library broke WiFi functionaity in Arch, but those of us using Manjaro didn't have that problem, because the library got patched by the time it reached the Manjaro repositories.
Manjaro updates do break the system occasionally too however, so I'm not saying that Manjaro's testing phase is perfect.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using too much juice since last update Eugo 20 3,111 03-15-2024, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  recent update Uturn 14 1,515 02-13-2024, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Latest update Eugo 21 7,726 03-09-2023, 05:27 AM
Last Post: Eugo
  Firefox issue with latest update Barugon 6 2,221 01-28-2023, 01:29 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  manjaro-pinephone / plasma-mobile-dev: Update broken Uturn 32 28,580 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: johaennessen
  How to disable automatic update checks bdicewk 4 2,226 06-12-2022, 08:10 AM
Last Post: bdicewk
  Locked out after update bnbcwllc 2 1,516 06-08-2022, 04:46 AM
Last Post: bnbcwllc
  Keyboard case stopped working on pacman update rotwang 5 3,014 05-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Last Post: rotwang
  Pinephone stuck on 'something went wrong' after update gofishus 1 1,516 03-06-2022, 05:48 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Lockup during update, force shut down and try again? tgz 5 5,459 12-22-2021, 03:11 PM
Last Post: tk1107