Bricked Pinetab?
I updated my SD card via apt and all was well.  It's running Mobian and the emmc is UB Touch.  Rebooted the critter and all is dark.  I can hear some noises in the tab if I put my ear to it, and can power it down so it is quiet, but when I power it up, no display and the keyboard doesn't light up anymore.

So I removed my SD card to use Touch and it also doesn't respond!  That doesn't make sense.

So is there a procedure to restore the emmc to it's original settings, or at least to get Mobian working on the SD card again so I can use it once again?

thanks,
My3ke
--
Just a regular guy doin' regular guy stuff.
Use the pinetab version of jump drive, see the wiki, and try to reflash to the emmc
I hear ticking noise too at times of doing updates and restarting usually. After a couple power-off and power ons with the power button usually bounces back to either the distro on card or Ubuntu without card.

So far so good.
(11-27-2020, 10:05 PM)fritz Wrote: I hear ticking noise too at times of doing updates and restarting usually. After a couple power-off and power ons with the power button usually bounces back to either the distro on card or Ubuntu without card.

So far so good.
The clicking is the camera powering up
(11-28-2020, 04:04 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 10:05 PM)fritz Wrote: I hear ticking noise too at times of doing updates and restarting usually. After a couple power-off and power ons with the power button usually bounces back to either the distro on card or Ubuntu without card.

So far so good.
The clicking is the camera powering up
Good to know.. Sometimes the pinetab doesn’t reboot properly and that power up noise goes in an endless loop more softly if you put your ear to the back of the device probably hear the chip.  I use it as an indicator that the device has powered even if the screen hasn’t. I sometimes repeat hold power button on and off till screen returns.
Well, It appears to be working again.  Thanks for all the help!  All it took was the Barrel Plug usb cable.  I was using a micro usb cable thinking it would charge the battery.  Since I couldn't power it up I plugged in a good cable I had handy as I thought it also powered the pinetab.  No joy, so I thought I had bricked it since I couldn't get any kind of response, except camera noise.  When I got back to my barrel plug cable and used it, keyboard lit up, and then the onboard emmc with UBPorts Touch woke the display!  Fixed up a new Mobian sd card and all is well again.

I guess I'm gonna have to experiment with the micro usb port and some cables and see if it does charge, etc.  I just assumed, which one should not do, I guess.

I appreciate the suggestion and the help!
--
Just a regular guy doin' regular guy stuff.
(11-27-2020, 10:14 AM)my3ke Wrote: I updated my SD card via apt and all was well.  It's running Mobian and the emmc is UB Touch.  Rebooted the critter and all is dark.  I can hear some noises in the tab if I put my ear to it, and can power it down so it is quiet, but when I power it up, no display and the keyboard doesn't light up anymore.

So I removed my SD card to use Touch and it also doesn't respond!  That doesn't make sense.

So is there a procedure to restore the emmc to it's original settings, or at least to get Mobian working on the SD card again so I can use it once again?

thanks,
My3ke

It sounds as if you need to completely power it off. Remove the SD card - See if it reboots

If that has not helped and you can still boot off neither you may need to reflash your device as I doubt it is broken - I have had the same issue (sadly far too often) 

Download Jumpdrive here: 

https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...es/tag/0.6

Flash it using the instructions here on to a small sdcard: https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...stallation

When you then flash the sd card in your pinetab it will be visible when connected to a pc (and importantly flashable!)

Download a newer Ubuntu Touch pinetab image (the wiki link is old - I will try to update it today) from here : 

https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/ro...tab.img.xz

(The old links look deprecated https://ci.ubports.com/job/rootfs/job/rootfs-pinetab/)

If you use Ubuntu you can reflash the device quite easily with the Disks programme to restore the Ubuntu Pinetab image directly onto your emmc.

That will at least get your pinetab back up as you had it - like new!
1 Now with Pinephone Pro (used to have Pinephone and Pinetab) cooking on Mobian - Seasoned Ubuntu user since 2007
2 Known to break things - often
3 Sometimes known to fix things then see 2 above

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not able to power on PineTab anymore zkajdan 3 355 12-26-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: FortunateFowl
Question Will Pinetab 2 spare parts be available? vatin 6 1,402 12-09-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: tllim
  ?brighter screen replacement for pinetab (>1600 nits) dynobang 0 486 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: dynobang
  [Tutorial] How to overclock Pinetab 2 Darth-Apple 0 730 09-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  External Reset button on PineTab V? michaelengel 0 481 09-18-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: michaelengel
  Pinetab 2 screen no longer coming on Fibonacci 9 2,707 06-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Purple_Illusion
  Pinetab completely bricked Saksmito 8 2,391 06-10-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: fxc
  What RISC-V chip will the PineTab-V use? msm 2 1,572 04-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: msm
Big Grin Howto: Pinetab Screen Replacements (+ Pictures) RTP 5 6,216 02-10-2022, 08:31 PM
Last Post: barray
  Offer: PineTab with keyboard firefox-58 3 4,568 09-27-2021, 12:36 PM
Last Post: stmguard