Commen app alternative and how to set them up thread
I was thinking if we should put together a list of ways to connect to all your services on your pinephone and listing them here for others to see could we get this list put together?

web browsing: Firefox, chromium needs UI scale tweaks to see menu options also laggy

Reddit: web version but hounds you to install the app

Twitter: web version 

Facebook(if your crazy): web version 

discord: web-based site works but very laggy Pi-Apps app installer see reply

telegram: already has a desktop client, WebClient 

audiobook player: audible web player

music player:

Youtube:

email:

If you have anything not listed. list the program and how you got it working if it's more then then just an apt command
owo notices your distro.
My scratchpad for applications and alternative frontends:

The Mobian Wiki
is a good source of information for compatible (web) apps.
web browser: I've been using firefox and qutebrowser.
reddit: either web version at old.reddit.com or tuir - terminal ui for reddit
mastodon: website works well, but also using tut
music player: mpv
youtube: on sxmo there is a script for searching with youtube-dl and playing in mpv
email: I've been using neomutt
web browsing: Mainly Angelfish, sometimes Epiphany or Firefox

Reddit: Giara

twitter: Cawbird

Facebook(if your crazy): none.

discord: tried gtkcord3 briefly (apparently that can get you banned) – but I don't use Discord a lot and generally prefer Matrix (Mirage is my prefered client, runner ups are Fractal and Neochat).

telegram: Telegram-desktop for group chats, also tried Chatty to get notifications of important messages

audiobook player: I don't really listen to audiobooks, but there are on my App list, apparently Cozy is pretty good.

music player: I don't listen to a lot of music, but Lollypop is fine from what I here. I mostly listen to Podcasts, where Gnome Podcasts has been fine, Rhythmbox would be a clunky to use, but in terms of podcast discovery more comfortable alternative.

youtube: In Angelfish, or using FreeTube (flatpak).

email: Evolution. It's not really optimized, but it supports PGP and is better than nothing. I have not tried the latest Geary release yet.

I am mostly running Arch Linux ARM/DanctNIX mobile and lately used a Mobian for a bit.
If you're looking for links to the apps I listed above, check out the app list I maintain at linmobapps.frama.io (and please contribute if something is wrong or missing).
good new I worked out how to get discord on the pinephone
you install pi-apps for the RPI

https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps

Code:
sudo apt install git lxterminal

git clone https://github.com/Botspot/pi-apps
~/pi-apps/install

You need LXterminal otherwise pi-apps can't install anything. Once installed you run pi apps then click in install discord.
owo notices your distro.
How well does that pi-apps discord run, gtkcord is buggy and laggy when running under phosh?

For using discord there is also cchat-gtk by same developer as gtkcord, gtkcord is no longer being developed and with quick testing i did it seems cchat-gtk runs slightly better. But i prefer UI of gtkcord.

Anyways, on pinephone i use firefox for web browsing, and most important thing i want you to know about is that by default firefox on pinephone is made to look like you are on android, and that causes websites to think you are on android and tell you to install app. So, just change your useragent to something different and websites stop doing that. Doing that i can properly use reddit on firefox on pinephone.

Edit: I tested pi-apps discord myself and i see its same as the web version of discord but without browser taking screen space around it so slightly better than using web version. But its really unusable in portrait mode, and even in landscape mode its not really good experience, so i say that gtkcord and cchat-gtk are better options for using discord.
(11-30-2020, 04:45 AM)Ph42oN Wrote: How well does that pi-apps discord run, gtkcord is buggy and laggy when running under phosh?

For using discord there is also cchat-gtk by same developer as gtkcord, gtkcord is no longer being developed and with quick testing i did it seems cchat-gtk runs slightly better. But i prefer UI of gtkcord.

Anyways, on pinephone i use firefox for web browsing, and most important thing i want you to know about is that by default firefox on pinephone is made to look like you are on android, and that causes websites to think you are on android and tell you to install app. So, just change your useragent to something different and websites stop doing that. Doing that i can properly use reddit on firefox on pinephone.

It's pretty laggy but useable you have use your phone in landscape to use it tho
owo notices your distro.
(11-29-2020, 11:55 AM)linmob Wrote: twitter: Cawbird

I tried Cawbird on Manjaro Posh image and i cannot create the PIN : when i press "Request PIN" a text editor is open and shows the html content page for authorizaiton from twitter.com. I suppose that should be open in the browser but it is not happening.

So I am not able to get to that PIN request page on twitter. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

Thanks

Edit: later, I saw in Posh Settings that despite Firefox being installed there was no default app for Web Browser set. So using the Software Posh "app" i uninstalled Firefox and installed again and was able to select it as default browser. Then Cawbird was able to open the twitter authentication page for apps.
Hope this helps someone too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LinuxPhoneApps.org lists over 400 apps now - and now has a thread here linmob 0 1,204 10-11-2022, 12:17 PM
Last Post: linmob
  Audiobook Player Thread biketool 7 5,776 06-01-2022, 07:48 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Alternative phone call apps? Subsentient 5 7,051 07-30-2020, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Dmytro