Endless crashes on Pine64 received today
Hi all,

I received my PinePhone CE 3gb today and was eager to get started tinkering with the device. I expected getting started would be a bit bumpy but nothing as bad as what I encountered:

Basically the device crashes to a black screen after more than a few seconds of use. Sometimes I have enough time to enter my pin, though usually not. I thought maybe it was something with battery (nope), something to do with whether a port splitter was plugged in and HDMI was in use (nope), or with my Wi-Fi (nope), or with Manjaro (also no). I've flashed Manjaro-ARM-phosh-pinephone-beta2-20201119, Manjaro-ARM-plasma-mobile-dev-pinephone-alpha7-200818, and mobian-pinephone-phosh-20201113 and they all do the same thing.

The only OS that seems to run for more than a few minutes is Jumpdrive 0.6, and *possibly* the stock manjaro that shipped on the device. I would like to re-load that version on just to be sure but I can't figure out what build it was actually running.

In any case I found a thread on these forums (here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9832) that seems to indicate the issue may be related to RAM clock speeds being too high. The problems people describe there match what I am experiencing.

I would like to apply these patches but I cannot get the device running long enough to feel comfortable deploying them!

Looking for advice on how to proceed, because right now about all this phone is good for right now is being a bulky 32gb USB drive. Should I seek out the last known-good build and run on that for the time being? Is my device busted? Should I sit tight for a while and check back in a month?

To be clear, I can't even get the device up long enough to claim an IP address over its ethernet link, and even if I did the whole thing crashes in a few minutes! (And worse, the included USB port splitter doesn't lock into place, so even slight movements unplug it!)

Is there something I can do with Jumpdrive over telnet to fix this?

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if I'm noobing up the place

Tom
If you’re running off SD card, would it work to put the card in another computer to dd the slower-ram uboot image onto it?
Apply the lower clockspeed to an OS on an SD and boot from the SD. Start from the lowest speed and keep going up until it gets unstable. Then back off to the last good speed.

The factory release of Manjaro is in the Pinephone wiki under operating systems.
(11-24-2020, 12:08 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Apply the lower clockspeed to an OS on an SD and boot from the SD. Start from the lowest speed and keep going up until it gets unstable. Then back off to the last good speed.

The factory release of Manjaro is in the Pinephone wiki under operating systems.

Is there a guide or forum link anywhere on the right way to do this? I'm guessing I would need to mount the image on a loopback device, chroot into it, and run something?
(11-24-2020, 12:01 PM)luciphercolors Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 12:08 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: Apply the lower clockspeed to an OS on an SD and boot from the SD. Start from the lowest speed and keep going up until it gets unstable. Then back off to the last good speed.

Is there a guide or forum link anywhere on the right way to do this? I'm guessing I would need to mount the image on a loopback device, chroot into it, and run something?
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9832

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PPkeyboard oddities with top row characters on "dreemurrs-embedded / Pine64-Arch" Jeremiah Roise 1 1,070 03-26-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: drh
  Shout Out to Pine64 and Terminal_Heat_Sink drh 0 854 03-26-2023, 02:54 AM
Last Post: drh
  pine64 keyboard pogo 'no-go' pins --- 3 2,385 04-29-2022, 04:59 AM
Last Post: Humid Stylus
Lightbulb [Volunteer needed]Too high DRAM clock speed MAY be causing you random crashes/freezes devrtz 108 131,589 04-20-2022, 11:44 AM
Last Post: biketool
  What Pine64 do I own? jwhitmor 5 3,129 12-31-2021, 08:49 AM
Last Post: ryo
  SDR pine64 Manjaro Desodo 8 6,488 01-18-2021, 09:54 AM
Last Post: dsimic
Sad Crashes in every OS - Hardware-issue? rakor 4 5,946 06-22-2020, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Nooblife