Jumpdrive is not jumping!
flashed jumpdrive to sd card using Etcher, boot off the card, jumpdrive says it's running. connected phone to laptop using the supplied red cable, but Etcher is finding no place to flash the new OS image. the phone storage doesn't show up with lsusb, either.

I'm using the Pinephone CE UBports edition, and have reset it to get rid of any settings that may interfere with this.

I've tried rebooting the laptop with the phone plugged in, I've tried rebooting the phone while plugged in, nothing.

the sd card seems to be good. Etcher reported no problems, and before flashing jumpdrive on it, I had stored a Mobian image on it which worked with no problems.

I'd really like to run Mobian off the emmc and I don't care how I get there, but I'm stymied. the mobian_installer utility fails, but that's for other reasons (it wants glibc 2.29, UBports is using glibc 2.23. I suppose I could try installing it by booting mobian from the sd card and then installing the OS from it, but installing a running OS just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
I find the PinePhone USB-C socket a little wobbly, and all cables tend to have loose connections if moved and especially the red cable that came with the PinePhone.

My standard practice is to put the phone flat on a surface, plug in the cable and try not to move anything thereafter. Hopefully phone boots if it was off, or starts charging otherwise.

Specifically with jumpdirve boot the phone first, then with it flat on some table with the USB-A already plugged into the PC, plug in the the USB-C to the phone and hope it appears as /dev/sda (eMMC) and /dev/sdb (the jumpdriver SDcard) or whatever your distro does.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Balena Etcher is problematic when flashing onto the PinePhone. Try a different utility Smile
(11-22-2020, 04:22 PM)jed Wrote: Balena Etcher is problematic when flashing onto the PinePhone. Try a different utility Smile

Which one would you recommend?
(11-23-2020, 09:01 AM)Athansor Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 04:22 PM)jed Wrote: Balena Etcher is problematic when flashing onto the PinePhone. Try a different utility Smile

Which one would you recommend?

bmaptool or dd.
(11-22-2020, 02:32 PM)Athansor Wrote: flashed jumpdrive to sd card using Etcher, boot off the card, jumpdrive says it's running. connected phone to laptop using the supplied red cable, but Etcher is finding no place to flash the new OS image. the phone storage doesn't show up with lsusb, either.

I'm using the Pinephone CE UBports edition, and have reset it to get rid of any settings that may interfere with this.

I've tried rebooting the laptop with the phone plugged in, I've tried rebooting the phone while plugged in, nothing.

the sd card seems to be good. Etcher reported no problems, and before flashing jumpdrive on it, I had stored a Mobian image on it which worked with no problems.

I'd really like to run Mobian off the emmc and I don't care how I get there, but I'm stymied. the mobian_installer utility fails, but that's for other reasons (it wants glibc 2.29, UBports is using glibc 2.23. I suppose I could try installing it by booting mobian from the sd card and then installing the OS from it, but installing a running OS just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Had the same issue. Try a different USB port, lower power ports seem to have issues mounting. Etcher worked fine for me assuming the OS can see the mounted eMMC.
I have Mobian on my phone this is how I did it.
.pdf   How to Flash to Emmc.pdf (Size: 25.01 KB / Downloads: 518)
.pdf   How to Flash to Emmc.pdf (Size: 25.01 KB / Downloads: 518)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jumpdrive broken? eMMc broken Uturn 5 1,714 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  JumpDrive isn't working phytocube 2 1,752 06-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Last Post: phytocube
  Jumpdrive not booting Kimberley van Buyten 1 1,026 05-28-2022, 01:00 AM
Last Post: Kimberley van Buyten
Question Differences in Jumpdrive images. jpaulbiss 2 2,925 09-16-2021, 06:30 PM
Last Post: jpaulbiss
  JumpDrive not working due to device busy cnxsoft 3 3,030 08-08-2021, 12:18 AM
Last Post: mouffa
  jumpdrive software might be faulty (or my pinephone hardware) zetabeta 3 3,265 07-20-2021, 03:14 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  What is jumpdrive? natasha 25 25,632 10-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Last Post: wibble