Cameras don't work after screen replacement
Does anyone changed the screen of the PinePhone recently?

My PinePhone screen broke a month ago, i received the new one 2 days ago and immediatly changed it.
I had no particuar problems but after rebooting i noticed both cameras weren't working anymore.
Megapixel app on Mobian says "Error opening the video device" and if i try to swicth from the back one to the front one the app closes.
I don't know what happened, i didn't touched them, i just dismounted the main board following the video from Martijn Braam, the cameras remained in their places, of course there were no reasons for me to detach them from the main board.
I tried to detach them sereval times checking the connectors, they look perfectly connected.
I tried with different OS to be sure it's not a software problem, even checked the pins in the back to be sure they weren't in the disabled position, and also moved them in the disabled position, rebooted the system to check if something changed but no luck at all.

Is it possible they got briked somehow? I really don't understand.
I removed the main board a while back to have a look at the bits to remove/replace for the CC fix, which involved disconnecting everything including the cameras. Everything was working properly again after reassembly, and I don't remember the camera connections being unusual. If it was connector related I'd expect a problem with one or other camera, but not both. Did you take any ESD precautions when replacing the screen?
(11-23-2020, 05:41 AM)wibble Wrote: I removed the main board a while back to have a look at the bits to remove/replace for the CC fix, which involved disconnecting everything including the cameras. Everything was working properly again after reassembly, and I don't remember the camera connections being unusual. If it was connector related I'd expect a problem with one or other camera, but not both. Did you take any ESD precautions when replacing the screen?
Thanks for the reply Big Grin
Even my PinePhone went through the CC fix, a friend of mine did that months ago with professional tools.
I took the usual precautions, and during the last days i tried again and again, but no luck.
I should get the new motherboard 3GB/32GB soon, hope the problem is the current motherboard and not the cameras themselves.
Unfortunately, I have the same issue. I replaced the screen a while back as the digitizer was funky, but the cameras have never worked for me.
I thought it was software issues for the longest time, until I looked deeper and realized the cameras are not detected at all with a known-good kernel.

I recently took apart my BraveHeart again and reseated all the camera connectors, and that didn't work.
I have only a couple theories, both of them depressing.

1. Those evil little ribbon cables killed themselves from being flexed half a degree too far. I've seen so many electronics do that, it's infuriating.
2. Somehow something on the motherboard became physically damaged by the act of replacing the screens.

Since other people are having the same issue, I guess I'm glad it's not me. I'd order more cameras, but they're out of stock, and I'm not convinced the replacements would work either, if it's board damage.
(11-29-2020, 10:04 AM)Subsentient Wrote: Unfortunately, I have the same issue. I replaced the screen a while back as the digitizer was funky, but the cameras have never worked for me.
I thought it was software issues for the longest time, until I looked deeper and realized the cameras are not detected at all with a known-good kernel.

I recently took apart my BraveHeart again and reseated all the camera connectors, and that didn't work.
I have only a couple theories, both of them depressing.

1. Those evil little ribbon cables killed themselves from being flexed half a degree too far. I've seen so many electronics do that, it's infuriating.
2. Somehow something on the motherboard became physically damaged by the act of replacing the screens.

Since other people are having the same issue, I guess I'm glad it's not me. I'd order more cameras, but they're out of stock, and I'm not convinced the replacements would work either, if it's board damage.

I will too as soon as they get back in stock. Now i'm scared of changing to the new motherboard when it will arrive (it's a matter of days).

I have to add another damage to the list: wi-fi, at some point, stopped working properly. One day, out of the blue, it stopped working. I tried different OSes but no luck, hoping it was just a software problem.
After many boot ups i discovered it works sometimes, i have to reboot like 10/20 times.
That's so depressing, i changed screens, batteries, and parts in many smartphones in the past, Androids and iPhones, never damaged one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Screen ghosting and omitting rows of pixels... bedtime 0 351 12-28-2023, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bedtime
  Replacement screen disconnects after back frame is screwed on robthebold 4 1,270 10-12-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: robthebold
  Screen dying already? marcih 153 143,523 02-23-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Shatur
  Screen Replacement Instructions erikkugel 4 3,087 09-07-2022, 11:04 PM
Last Post: RTP
  Microphone replacement SocialNetworkingWasAMistake 1 1,512 08-05-2022, 03:16 PM
Last Post: calinb
  Severe screen flicker + occasional ghosting | Pinephone Beta edition legowave440 5 3,578 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM
Last Post: bedtime
  Double Image on screen Arvis 2 1,706 07-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Avisando
  Screen has pixel-thin horizontal stripes that are black or get stuck in the past yasmi 5 3,973 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM
Last Post: jopple
  How hard to replace screen? Zebulon Walton 28 29,004 01-18-2022, 12:21 AM
Last Post: henrythemouse
  pinephone screen Uturn 2 2,248 01-14-2022, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Uturn