Second-hand pinephone
I'm thinking of buying a Pinephone from my friend instead of ordering directly as it's more comfortable for me. Since it's a second-hand phone, what are the thing I should check\care before buying it? Is there something like reset /restore I should do to get it factory version?
(11-18-2020, 10:52 PM)Raniyah Wrote: I'm thinking of buying a Pinephone from my friend instead of ordering directly as it's more comfortable for me. Since it's a second-hand phone, what are the thing I should check\care before buying it? Is there something like reset /restore I should do to get it factory version?

You can use jumpdrive to flash a new image to the phone's emmc chip.

Unlike other phones you can also boot from sdcards to test out OS.
(11-18-2020, 10:52 PM)Raniyah Wrote: I'm thinking of buying a Pinephone from my friend instead of ordering directly as it's more comfortable for me. Since it's a second-hand phone, what are the thing I should check\care before buying it? Is there something like reset /restore I should do to get it factory version?

Which revision edition is the phone you are considering  ?

The Manjaro edition has the most recent mainboard 'fixes'.

This will be a big change for you if you are used to Google and iphone.

I would suggest trying a few different operating systems from the sd card first,   then install to the eMMC drive.  
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
He said It's a Pine phone Ubuntu Touch. I think it's a bit old device

"I would suggest trying a few different operating systems from the sd card first, then install to the eMMC drive." can I do the same on this Ubuntu Touch device?
(11-19-2020, 10:24 PM)Raniyah Wrote: He said It's a Pine phone Ubuntu Touch. I think it's a bit old device

"I would suggest trying a few different operating systems from the sd card first,  then install to the eMMC drive." can I do the same on this Ubuntu Touch device?

Yes, all of the Pine phone versions can boot from an sd card.

Eventually you may want to update to a more recent mainboard revision.
  these are available in the Pine store.

If you are new to "Linux Phones"  be aware you may have to learn a little.  Linux is different,
        and the Mobile operating systems are just getting to the beta stage.

That is,  It should  'work' with a few rough spots, you may need to fiddle with it sometimes to make it work.

If an update breaks the system,
        you may need to reflash the operating system to an earlier release.

> A Notable  item with the Linux Phone:   You will have a lot of Choices for operating systems.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(11-19-2020, 10:24 PM)Raniyah Wrote: He said It's a Pine phone Ubuntu Touch. I think it's a bit old device

It's not that old, I have one, the a/b revisions are for convergence.
Thank you for sharing this information with me. In fact, I'm new to Linux and I'm have only used Android and iOS so far. So,I have to learn lots of things when proceed which I'm doing already now
May I ask where you bought it from?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where PinePhone Pro are Made Tony90 1 362 01-18-2024, 09:20 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  using Zoom on Pinephone andrew907 5 969 12-09-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  pinephone 3 ideas aular 2 683 11-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Last Post: aular
  Does pinephone allow you to repair your own device as easily as fairphone? unix21311 3 1,852 11-06-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Harolddavies0
  can i install mobian on pinephone? luofeiyu 2 1,232 10-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Last Post: user641
  Does the pinephone have hardware kill switches located on the outside of the phone? unix21311 2 1,658 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM
Last Post: unix21311
Sad New PinePhone Mobian Weekly Image... No Boot photon 1 1,068 09-27-2022, 07:00 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  used PinePhone Mobian CE or PineTab CelynRollins 1 1,562 01-11-2022, 06:31 AM
Last Post: collierreinhold
  Are you OK with the size of the PinePhone? guenther 14 8,070 12-16-2021, 12:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  I SHOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED THE PINEPHONE Scooterman 5 4,427 12-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Last Post: ryo