FydeOS for You - Pinebook Pro
Thanks for the explanation, @also1412 Given the preferences of many who are drawn to the PBP, that will be helpful information in choosing to run this image.

@brent.thierens I might be wrong, but it read to me that it's more of a trial period, where after so long some of the features will be unavailable. I'm curious what the standard amount of time is, and the licensing fee amount. There appears to be a section for it in their FAQ, but Chrome+translate may not be rendering the full page content for me. The accordion buttons do nothing, and I can't see the collapsed content in the page inspector.

If I read that correctly, there is hope for OTA updates through this image, that's always a big plus with a Chromium image!
Quote:there is hope for OTA updates through this image

I wouldn't use "hope", FydeOS for You WILL get OTA updates, as long as the license has not expired and/or there is an active subscription.

FydeOS has managed to track upstream updates for the past 3 years. We usually roll out a milestone upgrade in every 2.5 months, keeping not more than 2 major release milestones than Chrome OS.
sounds like you have to pay for OTA updates, is this correct?
We are in the process of revamping our website, the current one (even in zh_CN) is pretty outdated. Apologies for the scattered information at this moment.

Yes, FydeOS for You requires a paid annual subscription to use, as explained in this video by our customer service guy:
https://youtu.be/Z2evlnEi2i4

At this moment trial period is 90 days and the annual subscription fee is $12.99, though these numbers are subjected to change.
Since the overlay files are available on Github, does this mean one could compile FydeOS himself? Or are some necessary files missing there?
I just flashed the image to a microSD with Etcher and tried to boot it on my Pinebook Pro. The screen backlight turns on and the power light turns green but nothing ever appears on the screen. If I let it sit long enough a startup sound plays, so I would guess that it's booting. I have the ANSI model if that makes a difference, and Manjaro is installed to the eMMC. Doing a hard shutdown and starting up again doesn't make a difference, the screen stays black. Trying to switch TTYs, Ctrl+Alt+F2 causes the backlight to flicker but still nothing shows on screen.
(11-23-2020, 10:34 PM)lrussell887 Wrote: I just flashed the image to a microSD with Etcher and tried to boot it on my Pinebook Pro. The screen backlight turns on and the power light turns green but nothing ever appears on the screen. If I let it sit long enough a startup sound plays, so I would guess that it's booting. I have the ANSI model if that makes a difference, and Manjaro is installed to the eMMC. Doing a hard shutdown and starting up again doesn't make a difference, the screen stays black. Trying to switch TTYs, Ctrl+Alt+F2 causes the backlight to flicker but still nothing shows on screen.
 I can report the same behavior. I downloaded the image. Etcher is used to flash the image which completes without error. The SD card appears to boot, the status light turns from red to green after some time has passed a startup sound is heard and the screen seems faintly lit. However nothing happens beyond that. Ctrl+Alt+F2 cause the back light to flicker.

I have left the machine sit for an hour while doing other things, but it never boots to a screen.

bill
(11-24-2020, 07:17 AM)wove Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 10:34 PM)lrussell887 Wrote: I just flashed the image to a microSD with Etcher and tried to boot it on my Pinebook Pro. The screen backlight turns on and the power light turns green but nothing ever appears on the screen. If I let it sit long enough a startup sound plays, so I would guess that it's booting. I have the ANSI model if that makes a difference, and Manjaro is installed to the eMMC. Doing a hard shutdown and starting up again doesn't make a difference, the screen stays black. Trying to switch TTYs, Ctrl+Alt+F2 causes the backlight to flicker but still nothing shows on screen.
 I can report the same behavior. I downloaded the image. Etcher is used to flash the image which completes without error. The SD card appears to boot, the status light turns from red to green after some time has passed a startup sound is heard and the screen seems faintly lit. However nothing happens beyond that. Ctrl+Alt+F2 cause the back light to flicker.

I have left the machine sit for an hour while doing other things, but it never boots to a screen.

bill

The issue you both are experiencing is related to mainline uboot not playing well with bsp images. if you replace your uboot with manjaro's bsp uboot (in the repos, use terminal to install for writing instructions) or disable the emmc, you should be able to boot the img.
(11-24-2020, 09:41 AM)tophneal Wrote:

bill

The issue you both are experiencing is related to mainline uboot not playing well with bsp images. if you replace your uboot with manjaro's bsp uboot (in the repos, use terminal to install for writing instructions) or disable the emmc, you should be able to boot the img.
(11-24-2020, 09:41 AM)tophneal Wrote:

bill

So if we get Manjaro's uboot and flash it to the already written SD card it should boot?
Sorry, but I'm afraid some of us need further guidance on this. I'm getting a bit disappointed that some cool stuff we can't use on PBP and the ones, which are working, are slow as sh*t. I tried Manjaro with 4 DEs and only i3 was snappy, but it crashed to a white screen on the 2nd day. Android IMG was great to use, it was snappy but nothing works on it. So I think a ChromiumOS fork might be something I could use my PBP with, as the ayufan version suffers from the same issue FydeOS does. Otherwise it's money down to the gutter.

Sorry for being so negative but I am tweaking this laptop since it arrived and I just can't use it for the things I bought it for. I'm thinking about disconnecting the battery and put it on the shelve for some time until something android or chromiumOS starts reliably working. Confused

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which OS can I actually run a 1080p pinebook non-pro? Scott104 1 2,666 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Question FydeOS privacy policy? TDC_PBP 1 2,832 09-07-2021, 06:14 AM
Last Post: ImmyChan
  Black screen on both FydeOS as Chromium from github QuinTeknoLife 0 3,439 04-15-2021, 11:44 AM
Last Post: QuinTeknoLife
  CrOS boot from sd, now pinebook doesn't boot anymore qdoy55d9wkn8zw 7 10,776 06-22-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: tophneal
Question Does the Pinebook Pro support chromium developer mode? TDC_PBP 3 6,571 12-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: TDC_PBP