New OS for RockPro64 is here, TwisterOS Armbian
(12-04-2020, 09:09 PM)jtremblant Wrote: @dukla2000

I don't have a PineBookPro or RockPro64 but image by default is set to RockPi4C. It sounds like you're using the wrong dtb file.

I did successfully test it booting from NVMe on RockPi4C only.

Please follow the instructions below:

- edit /boot/armbianEnv.txt

- replace the dtb name with rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb or whatever RK3399 board you have, check dtb folder to know the exact name you need to type.
- Enjoy

Don't forget to resize partition after first boot

Thank you for your tolerance! I did read post 3, honest, but in typical "it does not apply to me because it is about pinebook" mode I did not pay attention to the end that mentioned the default Rolleyes

Will be able to try again on Wednesday.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Hi there,

First off thanks to the developer for this excellent work. I installed it yesterday on my RockPro64 and it's been working smoothly.

The problem I have is that the only application I'd like to run is Kodi (using my box as both a media center connected to the TV and a small server), and I noticed that if I disable the desktop and run "kodi-standalone" (via /etc/rc.local) the performance drops considerably in comparison to running kodi in a desktop (to the point that any video payed gets extremely slow).

Am I doing something wrong? There's maybe another way to run kodi-standalone or I'll be always supposed to run a complete desktop session just to run this single application?

Any help would be appreciated.
(12-05-2020, 09:40 AM)xlx Wrote: Hi there,

First off thanks to the developer for this excellent work. I installed it yesterday on my RockPro64 and it's been working smoothly.

The problem I have is that the only application I'd like to run is Kodi (using my box as both a media center connected to the TV and a small server), and I noticed that if I disable the desktop and run "kodi-standalone" (via /etc/rc.local) the performance drops considerably in comparison to running kodi in a desktop (to the point that any video payed gets extremely slow).

Am I doing something wrong? There's maybe another way to run kodi-standalone or I'll be always supposed to run a complete desktop session just to run this single application?

Glad it's running smoothly for you on RockPro64 hardware. Unfortunately, kodi included on Armbian-Reforged OS has been compiled from source to support linux desktop use only, not to run like a kodi-standalone application. Maybe in the future we can include a standalone version that runs independently but for now we're focusing entirely on a new DE, fixing small bugs for the upcoming version(currently in beta2), include a theme switcher application to allow OS to look like a MacOS, Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 and Linux Ubuntu, improve its general performance and many more little goodies that has been optimized for Panfrost with HW on Desktop.

(12-05-2020, 03:10 PM)jtremblant Wrote:
(12-05-2020, 09:40 AM)xlx Wrote: Hi there,

Glad it's running smoothly for you on RockPro64 hardware. Unfortunately, kodi included on Armbian-Reforged OS has been compiled from source to support linux desktop use only, not to run like a kodi-standalone application. Maybe in the future we can include a standalone version that runs independently but for now we're focusing entirely on a new DE, fixing small bugs for the upcoming version(currently in beta2), include a theme switcher application to allow OS to look like a MacOS, Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 and Linux Ubuntu, improve its general performance and many more little goodies that has been optimized for Panfrost with HW on Desktop.

I see. I noticed also that the Linux desktop compiled version apparently lacks a couple of default addons, as for example Inputstream Adaptive and Widevine (which are important for using streaming addons like Youtube, Disney+, etc). Anyway, I understand your priorities, and although I don't have experience on code compilling I've read a couple of turorials teaching how to compile Kodi and I'll give them a try. Let's see where it goes Blush

Your project is very promising. Keep up the good work!
[Image: d21ehn.jpg]

[Image: KJWPFR.jpg]

TwisterOS Armbian beta is here. Some performance optimizations are still in the works. If you want to try it:

https://twisteros.com/twisterarmbian.html

Several changes to original Armbian-Reforged V1.0
  • Official name has been changed to TwisterOS Armbian
  • XFCE4 is now the default DE
  • Mainline kernel 5.9.11
  • ThemeTwister application as shown on pic with 8 built-in OS themes
  • Panfrost HW on desktop
  • Firefox fully supporting HW acceleration, same for MPV
  • File size has been reduced now to 2.9Gb only
default password: asdasd
Remember to resize partition after first boot with included Gnome Disks

Instructions:
  • Flash image with Etcher to uSD or eMMC
  • edit armbianEnv.txt and select correspondent dtb file from dtb folder to match your RK3399 board. Default dtb used on image is RockPi4B.
Known issues:
  • Some stability issues may be present.
  • BT audio connectivity issue hasn’t been fixed yet.
Update(12-06-20): To fix stability issues with Firefox browser, just do:
- Sudo apt update
- Sudo apt upgrade

Monka-Manjaro-XFCE beta1 is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0yHIDf...sp=sharing

Manjaro ARM 20.12 Based
    Chromium Docker with Netflix, Amazon Prime and other streaming services
    5.9.11-2 kernel
    Tested it and working on RockPi4B, RockPi4C and RockPro64 only.
    Boots from uSD and eMMC
    Kodi and MPV included on desktop with HW Panfrost OpenGL 2.1 Mesa 20.2.3
    HW acceleration on desktop and firefox browser
    Several utilities included like Etcher, Emulastation, Wine Desktop.PPSSPP, anbox, amiberry, gparted, whatspp, openGL games, etc etc
    ThemeTwister utility

Username: pi
Password: root

Instructions:

Extract downloaded file to get image file.
    Flash image file with etcher or usbimager.
    Under boot partition, locate extlinux folder and edit “extlinux.conf” file to assign respective dtb file to your RK3399 board. Default dtb file is: RockPi4B
    Resize partition after first boot with included Disks utility.
    32Gb microSD or 32Gb eMMC module required for uncompressed image

[Image: aDklen.jpg]

[Image: 3sl6Qr.jpg]

Guys, is Steam working? I am finding a way how to run it on my PBP.
(12-23-2020, 04:28 PM)Wizzard Wrote: Guys, is Steam working? I am finding a way how to run it on my PBP.

It does but it's an armhf version and still far from perfect. It's included on Armbian Reforged V1.0 but you need to install it on twisterOS Armbian directly from the Steam shortcut. It should install automatically after that.

For those who wants to try some retro games like Half life and Nuke Dukem 3D that work without X11 and without emulator, They work on RK3326 and RK3399 hardware. Tested it on Armbian Reforged V1.0. Many thanks @ Kreal from the TwisterOS Team:

Duke Nukem 3D:
https://github.com/krishenriksen/eduke32-rg351p
https://github.com/zear/eduke32/blob/mas...duke3d.grp

Half Life 1:
https://github.com/krishenriksen/Half-Life-rg351p

[Image: 8H6AGY.jpg]

(12-21-2020, 06:00 PM)jtremblant Wrote: Monka-Manjaro-XFCE beta1 is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0yHIDf...sp=sharing

Hi,
I just downloaded the image and it seems corrupt. Etcher complains before flashing (no valid partition table) and I cannot mount the flashed SD card. Can you provide the checksum or check, if the image on google drive is correct?

One question - Only the Manjaro build has Kodi installed, or? I tried the normal twisterOS from the website and didn't see Kodi in the taskbar.

Regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) RockPro64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 1 345 03-25-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: mara
  yocto for RockPro64 Fide 1 648 01-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Fide
  Installing Ubuntu Server on RockPro64 deutschlmao 2 2,518 10-29-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: brotherj4mes
  Vanilla mainline Debian 11 (Bullseye) on the RockPro64 Pete Tandy 22 16,823 08-16-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: varac
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) ROCKPro64 RK3399 (aarch64) mara 54 82,200 08-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: mara
  How to enable CoreSight ETM trace on RockPro64 shpark 0 541 05-21-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: shpark
  Rockpro64 Dead on arrival? quixoticgeek 1 880 03-12-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: quixoticgeek
  RockPro64 boot questions misterc 3 1,488 01-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: misterc
  A fix for Bluetooth audio stuttering on the RockPro64 raph 2 1,580 01-03-2023, 06:53 PM
Last Post: raph
  hello i want to drive an edp screen with my rockpro64 hannescam 0 707 10-20-2022, 01:22 PM
Last Post: hannescam