Slarm64 on PinePhone [Unofficial Slackware ARM - 64 bit]
Greetings,

I flashed Mara's latest images to the internal storage and to a micro sdhc using both the /dev/mmcblkx and the UUID variables via editing the two file specified in Mara's readme. I also tried using a boot partition and setting the boot flag all with no luck booting. The LED shines red immediately for a few seconds and then nothing. I have an external monitor connected and serial connection wired with a terminal monitoring the connection which spit out some hex numbers a time or two.

Searching online I found that U-boot is not needed.

I used PMOS running from the sd card to flash the image to internal memory noticed that the fstab and uEnv.txt file already had the correct UUID mount points in them thus the command directed to the fstab had no effect.

Also I noticed that when flashing to the sd card with dd using 1M variable the expanded size on the disk is like 13GB but on the internal using 10M it's about 7GB.

For some reason, while logged into this site now, whenever I click on any of Mara's links I get a "forbidden" error and that I don't have permission. Maybe it's my browser.
That's all I can think of for now.
While exploring other os's I noticed Maemo Leste has quite a bit of functionality as of late and it's based on Devuan which is possibly the only distribution besides Slack that is systemd free and it's my current desktop OS having left Slack because of the lack of mainstream app support.  In the install process (partial copy below) it has a step that seems may help with Slarm64.  I obviously don't know the in's and out's but if these steps are necessary then it seems they should be worked into the process.

eMMC Installation
Some notes have been adapted from the Pine64 Wiki.
Preparing the .img file for eMMC boot
Download the .img.xz version of the image and extract it:
$ unxz -k maemo-leste-*-arm64-pinephone-*.img.xz

The image, by default, points to
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0
for SD cards, which must be modified to point to
Code:
/dev/mmcblk2
for the eMMC. To start, mount the image to a loop device.
$ sudo losetup -P /dev/loop0 maemo-leste-*-arm64-pinephone-*.img

Mount the second partition to /mnt and the first partition to /mnt/boot and enter /mnt:
$ sudo mount /dev/loop0p2 /mnt
$ sudo mount /dev/loop0p1 /mnt/boot
$ cd /mnt

Use the editor of your choice to edit
Code:
/mnt/etc/fstab
, replacing
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0
with
Code:
/dev/mmcblk2
Now we need to edit
Code:
boot.scr
. For that you will need to download
Code:
boot.txt
from Maemo Leste github:
$ cd /mnt/boot
$ sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maemo-...r/boot.txt

Now we do the same step as we did for the fstab, replacing
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0
with
Code:
/dev/mmcblk2
in
Code:
boot.txt

To regenerate
Code:
boot.scr
you need to install
Code:
u-boot-tools
first to be able to use mkimage.
Regenerate
Code:
boot.scr
:
$ sudo mkimage -A arm -O linux -T script -C none -a 0 -e 0 -d boot.txt boot.scr
So, still trying things I re-flashed the image to an sdhc card and verified that the two files to edit point to mmcblk0p1 which they do without editing.  When trying to boot Slarm, instead Maemo which is installed on internal  memory boots up.  Initially I though the Maemo overwrote the mmc0boot space but maybe it's because Slarm failed and it fell back to main memory.  I started messing with copying Manjero boot files etc but since it uses a boot partition and the sdhc with Slarm has just the root things became more complicated to deal with than I have ambition for now.  I found like 5 u-boot.bin files in Manjero but they use 2 partitions which I realized after I flashed one the seek 8k or whatever that was.  I'm a little burnt out for now but maybe later.  The Maemo-Leste is kinda cool since I have an N900 laying around that it replicates but I can't get the phone or data to work even though it shows registered and connected in the modem status.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink PINEPHONE not booting Touchwood 2 278 02-23-2024, 07:27 AM
Last Post: Touchwood
  Slack on PinePhone Adam Seline 5 5,155 12-20-2023, 07:20 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  Struggle to install LibreOffice on the PinePhone Peter Gamma 48 22,933 11-24-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Which word processor to choose for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 8 1,707 11-23-2023, 01:06 AM
  openSUSE for Pinephone Alefnode 75 99,926 11-17-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Using Signal on PinePhone in mid-2023? dante404 45 11,748 11-17-2023, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Genode- Sculpt OS for the PinePhone (non Linux) Surehand53 1 814 11-04-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Abiword as a office mobile word processor for the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 11 1,836 10-24-2023, 08:57 AM
  What File Manager Options Are There For The Pinephone? pinephoneuser22 7 2,107 10-18-2023, 08:37 AM
Last Post: luppivega
  Does Ubuntu modify a Pinephone SD boot card? Peter Gamma 0 757 10-05-2023, 09:18 AM