New to PinePhone
I recently encountered this phone brand since I was continuously searching the internet to buy a new phone. Is PinePhone based on Android OS or a different OS? I'm familiar with Android and I even don't know how to use other operating systems. I would be grateful if someone could give me some details/recommendations about this in simple since I'm unable to understand deeply explained description.
PinePhone does not run Android (in principle, it can, but it's unstable yet). It runs very many different operating systems, all of which are GNU/Linux distributions: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...ng_Systems. As a new user you should be able to learn how to use them quickly. Different people prefer different OS so it's hard to say what you will like.
Frankly, I don't mean to sound insulting. But if you have to ask these things, this phone is not for you. Not yet, anyway: It's not really a finished product.
(11-16-2020, 05:16 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Frankly, I don't mean to sound insulting.  But if you have to ask these things, this phone is not for you. Not yet, anyway:  It's not really a finished product.

Sometimes even new users are ready to learn new things. It depends on the expectations and willingness to try things. It won't be a smooth experience like with iPhones, but it is possible to use this phone currently for most things (I do).
Sure, but it isn't a good candidate as a "new phone", yet, in my opinion.
I wouldn't recommend the Pinephone to anyone who isn't into tinkering with his phone.
As others have said, if you need to ask then you probably shouldn't buy a PinePhone. It isn't ready yet for most people to accept as an everyday phone - too many things just don't work reliably enough. If you absolutely must avoid Apple and Google, are willing to learn and don't care about sometimes missing calls, carrying a charger or battery pack at all times or having a software update break things then it might be for you. If you're heavily into linux and/or hardware tinkering, and have another phone for everyday use, then you'll probably like it.
I understand the question and the answers given.
If you don't know if it's Android or something else, it's assumed that you want to be able to run all the apps that Android has.
Technically you can using Anbox, but it will be both slow and instable at the same time.

If you're interested in the PinePhone for the price and privacy, you might opt in for a modern day flip phone instead.
Modern flip phones are running degoogled Android 4, 5, or 6 under the hood, and you can install any APK file on it via ADB (there are no Google apps on flip phones), and the dial pad is able to emulate a trackpad with a cursor (and you can even pinch to zoom with it).
And yes, most models have WiFi and 4G too.
However, while Android games do run on a flip phone, they might not respond to user input very well.
Thank you for sharing all this information with me. I've used both Android and iPhone devices and interested in using something different. But, perhaps this couldn't be the ideal one to start the journey. Btw, I will read and learn about this phone furthermore to get better knowledge before making a decision
(11-16-2020, 02:31 AM)Raniyah Wrote: I recently encountered this phone brand since I was continuously searching the internet to buy a new phone. Is PinePhone based on Android OS or a different OS? I'm familiar with Android and I even don't know how to use other operating systems. I would be grateful if someone could give me some details/recommendations about this in simple since I'm unable to understand deeply explained description.

If you are willing to muck around with the OS and don't mind editing config files and don't mind making your own app and such this would be a great phone to use.
But in true honesty pinephone is a raspberry pi clone with a battery screen and 4g chip.

One plus side is the phones only 150-200 dollars so if you don't think it's for you not much of a loss but don't think this phone will hold your hand.
owo notices your distro.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 299 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,146 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,524 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 463 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,938 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 383 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,479 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,605 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,669 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 993 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma