PostmarketOS vs Manjaro on Pine Phone
While I ordered a Pine Phone with Manjaro, I received one with PostmarketOS. Since this is the first time that I am using the Pine Phone and I am indifferent to which particular flavor of linux I am using, I was wondering if someone could give me a brief summary of the differences between the two operating systems to help me decide whether I should flash the device or keep playing with PostmarketOS.

Thanks!
(11-15-2020, 08:27 AM)dRateNWAytORy Wrote: While I ordered a Pine Phone with Manjaro, I received one with PostmarketOS. Since this is the first time that I am using the Pine Phone and I am indifferent to which particular flavor of linux I am using, I was wondering if someone could give me a brief summary of the differences between the two operating systems to help me decide whether I should flash the device or keep playing with PostmarketOS.

Thanks!
I'd encourage you to try both as some things work on postmarket that do not yet on Manjaro, and the package managment is different. Anbox is easier to get running and more functional on Manjaro. But both use the phosh desktop, so from a user perspective, they would be the same. Manjaro also offers alpha builds of Lomiri (as in Ubuntu Touch) and Plasma (as in KDE Plasma which is similar to phosh).

I'd also give Mobian and Ubuntu Touch a try. Sailfish and Lune are also nice and fairly different.
pmOS has the most varied desktop environments, but it's more complicated to get going unless you go with premade images.
Manjaro has better package management. pmOS is Alpine Linux based, which uses a strange combination of debian type commands on top of a PKGBUILD system they call APKBUILD. it's really very strange. Manjaro's package management is just like any other Arch derivative.
(11-16-2020, 12:53 AM)hiimtye Wrote: pmOS has the most varied desktop environments, but it's more complicated to get going unless you go with premade images.
Manjaro has better package management. pmOS is Alpine Linux based, which uses a strange combination of debian type commands on top of a PKGBUILD system they call APKBUILD. it's really very strange. Manjaro's package management is just like any other Arch derivative.
Thanks!
(11-23-2020, 06:28 PM)dRateNWAytORy Wrote:
(11-16-2020, 12:53 AM)hiimtye Wrote: pmOS has the most varied desktop environments, but it's more complicated to get going unless you go with premade images.
Thanks!

Actually I face the same dilemma as you. I had ordered the pmos edition, so this is what I currently run.

One of the things I really like about pmos is full disk encryption. I think it should be mandatory, as phones are easily lost or stolen and contain a lot of private data.

Regarding packages, pmos is built on top of alpine linux, which is a linux distro designed to be as small and efficient as possible:
  • C library (musl)
  • Init system (openRC)
  • lightweight basic commands (busybox)
It has had a lot of success in the docker world, where a lot of dockerized apps ended up providing an alpine-based image because it is so small compared to more classic distros

On the pinephone, what I can say is that installing upgrades is incredibly fast because they are so small. Indeed you will need to learn yet another package manager (apk), but then I am not very familiar with manjaro's pacman either.

IMHO, since both distros use phoc + gnome, you tend to have more or less the same user experience. What makes me hesitate between both is that manjaro is also a pretty good desktop distro. I have installed it on my laptop, so the idea to run the same OS on both devices is appealing, but it does not have full disk encryption out of the box I believe.

To make up your mind, if you have an available microsd card somewhere, you could try megous multiboot image (aka p-boot), this way you could easily compare both).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 931 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,740 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,520 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 790 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,612 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,412 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Temporary fix for Modem Not Coming Back on in SXMO Postmarketos Pinephone kebab 2 1,988 07-16-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: kebab
  box86 Actually Works Well on Manjaro Phosh/xfce jakfish 0 582 07-13-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: jakfish
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval