lipo battery boot issue
Question 
Hello, 

I'm just the messenger of the encountered issue - it was brought to by attention by Arffeh, who asked me to create this post. From what he wrote to me it transpires that a drained or partially drained battery can can cause a failed boot  even if the board is connected to the mains. 

He wrote:
"A completely dead lipo when connected, with the jumper correctly set, causes a failure to boot when correct power is applied (...). I'm talking about using actual normal power, with the battery just chilling out (...) Shouldn't cause a full failure to boot, but yeah. The battery is able to affect the 2.1 amp input (...) [I] plucked the battery and reapplied power [and it boot correctly]". 

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or has a suggestion of how to resolve this ? 

Cheers
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-28-2016, 09:02 AM)LukeMay I know the lipo specifications used, i mean the voltage and amps Wrote:
When my board failed to boot using the power supply, I tried giving input through the battery terminal, by changing the jumper settings 
      using an smps, but nothing happened, even the LED did not go high which was happening with the normal power supply. 

One more thing noticed is there are 3 terminals for the lipo power provided on the board, bu we get lipo with only two terminals. I don't know why there is a pin in the center and what does it do. 

Hello, 

I'm just the messenger of the encountered issue - it was brought to by attention by Arffeh, who asked me to create this post. From what he wrote to me it transpires that a drained or partially drained battery can can cause a failed boot  even if the board is connected to the mains. 

He wrote:
"A completely dead lipo when connected, with the jumper correctly set, causes a failure to boot when correct power is applied (...). I'm talking about using actual normal power, with the battery just chilling out (...) Shouldn't cause a full failure to boot, but yeah. The battery is able to affect the 2.1 amp input (...) [I] plucked the battery and reapplied power [and it boot correctly]". 

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or has a suggestion of how to resolve this ? 

Cheers
(05-28-2016, 09:15 AM)indrajith Wrote:
(05-28-2016, 09:02 AM)LukeMay I know the lipo specifications used, i mean the voltage and amps Wrote:
When my board failed to boot using the power supply, I tried giving input through the battery terminal, by changing the jumper settings 
      using an smps, but nothing happened, even the LED did not go high which was happening with the normal power supply. 

One more thing noticed is there are 3 terminals for the lipo power provided on the board, bu we get lipo with only two terminals. I don't know why there is a pin in the center and what does it do. 

Hello, 

He wrote:

Cheers

Third pin on Lipo battery is related to internal temperature sensing, I believe - a safety mechanism during charging.
(05-28-2016, 09:02 AM)LukeMay I know the lipo specifications used, i mean the voltage and amps Wrote:

Hello, 

He wrote:

Cheers

Indrajith, 

I don't know the specifics but I will as Arffeh and let you know. You can also ask him yourself on IRC - he is frequently on during my night/ morning - he is from Australia :Smile

(05-28-2016, 04:31 PM)Luke Wrote:

Hello, 

He wrote:

Cheers

Indrajith, 

I don't know the specifics but I will as Arffeh and let you know. You can also ask him yourself on IRC - he is frequently on during my night/ morning - he is from Australia :Smile

On current Android build, the OS will not auto boot if detected battery installed. Press the start button (if installed) will allow the board boot up. We are currently correct the boot sequence and the board will auto boot regardless battery installed or not.
Thanks tllim - I will pass this on to the user !

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lithium Polymer Battery USA / CERTAIN EUROPE COUNTRIES ONLY JulianM 11 16,131 09-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Mednar
  Compatible Battery Types/Brands List AUDIOTEK 23 29,565 07-20-2016, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Bluphire
  General Battery Questions nspireing 11 15,848 07-03-2016, 03:15 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  RTC battery steve8939 2 4,463 05-25-2016, 04:58 PM
Last Post: steve8939
  Strange Issue backing up disk images FangZor 2 4,147 05-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Last Post: FangZor
Question Camera / Lcd / Battery documentation soufyen 1 3,482 04-29-2016, 03:24 PM
Last Post: tllim
Lightbulb What is the third battery pin for? combs 1 3,721 04-20-2016, 04:39 PM
Last Post: rahlquist
  battery hazerty 11 15,046 03-14-2016, 08:46 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Shipping battery to Europe makimoki 2 4,802 02-22-2016, 12:21 AM
Last Post: Ghost