BackerKit Peripherals/Upgrades
By USB charger, I mean a battery like http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1...ge_o09_s00 that is meant for charging cell phones. I bought this battery last year. I ran a Raspberry Pi, with a USB wifi card, driving a 2.8" TFT screen, and ran it for at least 8 hours (I don't remember how long it rang, but in theory it should run about 13 hours). The particular pi/screen/camera/wifi took about 750mA of power.

Now, the the pine64 is different from the Raspberry Pi, so your numbers may vary, but the idea is to use a battery that provides USB 5v power instead of a lipo (it likely has a lipo inside of it). The only wrinkle is some USB batteries will only deliver high voltage for particular devices and a device that doesn't have the proper signature will only get 500mA (which may be too low for the pine64).

There are many different USB batteries out there. When I bought the battery, the 16,000mAh batteries were at the top of the heap, and now 20,000mAh can be found and a few that claim specs even higher (though note, a lot of battery makers lie about the actual capacity).
Afaik every single lipo battery has 3 jst pine due to being 2 cells + ground and charging every cell separately... 7,4 volt as a single cell is 3,7

I have a few airsoft batteries that will try. They have only 2Ah but high discharge rates so its a good start to test different batteries... If everything goes well, ill name a few websites that seem to dispatch batteries for RC models and so... If tllim approves, of course [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]
(02-15-2016, 10:48 AM)drag00n Wrote: Afaik every single lipo battery has 3 jst pine due to being 2 cells + ground and charging every cell separately... 7,4 volt as a single cell is 3,7
It depends on what your standard is for lipo's. Since I do more portable electronics (using Teensy and Arudino) than RC devices which need a higher voltage, I am more familiar with the single cell lipo that uses the 2 pin JST connector, such as: https://www.adafruit.com/products/354
(02-14-2016, 07:13 PM)MichaelMeissner Wrote:
(02-14-2016, 06:49 PM)mstride Wrote: TLIM: So when you say for the rest of the world there is no good solution, I assume you are including Canada? Are we then going to have to find a LIPO on our own instead of ordering one through Pine 64?
Or use a 5v USB battery charger instead of a lipo.

Note, the lipo battery uses 3 pins, not the normal 2 that I see for other 1 cell lipo batteries.  I don't know if this means they are using a pair of lipos for 5.4v to 8.4v, or there some other reason not to use the 2 pin JST connector.  In addition, charging lipos require specialing handling, and it is possible pine64 is using a lipo battery with a somewhat different chemistry.  Before trying to source your own batteries, it would be helpful if pine64 could detail exactly what battery is supported.

The Pine A64 charging circuit is for typical 3.7V Lithium or Lipo battery. The middle connection is optional and used for temperature sensing if your battery equip with temperature sensor.  This is fro safety measure.
Oh, i see... I was wrong then. I thought it was a 7,4 volt batt to step down to 5v...

Thanks tllim!
Well, it would be helpful if pine64 could update the wiki with the exact plug used by the battery, and the specifications (i.e. 3.7v lipo with 3 wire connection) so that other batteries can be used (particularly, since it looks like they may not be able to offer the original battery to the world).
(02-16-2016, 06:58 AM)MichaelMeissner Wrote: Well, it would be helpful if pine64 could update the wiki with the exact plug used by the battery, and the specifications (i.e. 3.7v lipo with 3 wire connection) so that other batteries can be used (particularly, since it looks like they may not be able to offer the original battery to the world).

Good suggestion, we will post the info.

(02-16-2016, 04:41 AM)drag00n Wrote: Oh, i see... I was wrong then.  I thought it was a 7,4 volt batt to step down to 5v...

Thanks tllim!

Welcome
I backed a $89 pledge but now I can't order the battery because of shipping. It is not easy for me to find other battery which is suitable with the playbox case in Viet Nam. Besides that, I see that the ABS/Playbox case doesn't have place for camera. Could I downgrade the pledge and re-choose add-on items?
(02-21-2016, 08:32 PM)hienhuynh1982 Wrote: I backed a $89 pledge but now I can't order the battery because of shipping. It is not easy for me to find other battery which is suitable with the playbox case in Viet Nam. Besides that, I see that the ABS/Playbox case  doesn't have place for camera. Could I downgrade the pledge and re-choose add-on items?

you can send the request to sales support team that they will help up.