Down the rabbit hole (uncovering the modem blackbox)
(10-13-2020, 11:56 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 07:43 AM)SwordfishII Wrote:
(10-13-2020, 05:20 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 08:42 PM)SwordfishII Wrote: I do hope quectel doesn't rectify the test key usage locking us out. I'm hoping the Pine production/community is too small for them to bother
The actions of Quectel will _not_ depend on the size of the Pine production/community. Blush

I have you on ignore. Don't respond to me. I suggest you ignore me as well.
That kind of 'ignoring' me seems not to have been successful. Dodgy
Do as you like, but please stop making me silly suggestions.

I still get notifications when you respond you idiot, and yes you are an idiot.

1. You didn't bother to read about the product you bought.
2. Can't use a search
3. You can't compile stuff with clear instructions
4. You think a nightly is a stable release
5. You think size of market has no effect on developer effort.
6. You attempt to bully people

I won't be bullied or taunted, and a more appropriate username is fakelinuxadmin.

Go ahead with your sad little threats when confronted with the truth. I'm done ignoring it and just taking it. Little children like you need to be spanked and the mods have yet to do so despite much evidence.
@LinAdmin2 @SwordfishII I recommend both of you leave each other alone. If you want to ignore each other, actually ignore each other. Don't derail this thread.

But talking about this thread.... this is some great work to see! Quectel may not like it, but my job here isn't to make them happy. Wink
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

I honestly don't think Quectel can block this, at least in this model.

Quectel's main customer types are OEMs and integrators, and they need to be able to do modifications to their software. To do that, they need the platform at least to be partially open.

Other companies seem to do the same, albeit some of them in a more transparent way, like Sierra Wireless. So I'm really not worried about them closing this loophole since they would be breaking all their production line and messing with the rest of this customers....
I have a PBP, Pinebook Pro (works perfect) and think about get a new phone, maybe the Pinephone.
For now I'm waiting a little to see what happens with 5G, e-sim, maybe some new linux devices ... etc. 

Time ago I have bought a usb module with the same modem like Pinephone have, a Quectel EG25G (Olimex usb-glink) and i am trying to make a combo with the PBP to make my own Frankenstein device. Modem data with the PBP work but my goal is to be able to make and receive calls ... etc. like a phone, but have some problems with alsa and Voice-over-USB and UAB.

I put it aside but I'm taking it back encouraged by this witchcraft Pinephone Modem running kernel 5.10

I have been following the progress with the modem for a long time and they have helped me a lot, now I am trying to install a new kernel into the modem, but I do not know YOCTO and I am not an expert with the kernel, embedded devices, git, patches ... but, I have always learned a lot even though it has not come to fruition.

This is my issue
https://github.com/Biktorgj/pinephone_mo...k/issues/1

MACHINE=mdm9607 is invalid. Please set a valid MACHINE in your local.conf, environment or other configuration file.

I'm looking at how Yocto works and trying to compile meta-qcom but I get lost, can you point me to some place with more information about how to run kernel 5.10 on the modem please?

Or some tips to compile https://github.com/Biktorgj/quectel_eg25_kernel will be great too.

Thanks a lot in advance, great work.
Great work, can't wait until you get call audio to work, I'll be installing it as soon.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supported Carrier and Modem Bands NachoMomma 4 1,510 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 489 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 14 5,508 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  modem not working michelinux 0 908 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  modem not detected al_x 3 4,177 02-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: fxc
  firmware udate Quectel EG25-G modem alwi 7 5,307 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: user641
  Need command to tell what modem firmware I am on. purpletiger 4 2,784 07-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  The modem does not recognize Korean SIM cards (what?) bdicewk 9 4,044 06-13-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Modem Hardware bad? Not ready for 5g?? linux76 8 4,645 05-31-2022, 06:41 PM
Last Post: SwordfishII
  Modem in failed state, not sending/receiving SMS brb78 5 3,620 03-31-2022, 08:37 AM
Last Post: wibble