Low-level persistent display rotation
I've been having pretty good luck getting my Pinetab set up as a laptop-like device with the keyboard cover. However, one lingering pain point is the fact that the display always wants to be in vertical mode, and rotating it has to be done manually using various configuration handles. Is there a better way, e.g. some bootloader configuration option, that would set the default screen orientation to be horizontal? It would be really nice to be able to use the device as a plain and simple laptop-like, especially in the bare TTY, without needing to manually change the screen orientation every time.
what os are you using? Arch handles autorotation very well.
I'm using Manjaro - I started out with the phosh version, but I've uninstalled that and am using KDE plasma (the desktop version, not the mobile version) on wayland instead.

How does Arch handle autorotation?
(10-05-2020, 09:44 AM)diodelass Wrote: I'm using Manjaro - I started out with the phosh version, but I've uninstalled that and am using KDE plasma (the desktop version, not the mobile version) on wayland instead.

How does Arch handle autorotation?

I believe it uses iio-sensor-proxy like most phosh installs (not sure why Manjaro's rotation is so behind in this behavior)
I might have accidentally pulled it out when I removed phosh.
Still, I have no particular need for autorotation, and still really just want it to stay horizontal all the time. is there not a way to do this?
I haven't used KDE in a while, but it should have rotation settings in the display settings.
(10-05-2020, 10:31 AM)tophneal Wrote: I haven't used KDE in a while, but it should have rotation settings in the display settings.

I have Plasma-desktop installed on Arch linux. You have to set orientation under Display tab in system settings.
On arch linux you can use autorotation too, usefull if you undock to read a book (or a manga)
This is why I specified "low-level" in the original post; I do know how to set the rotation within Plasma and such already. What I'm after is a way to make as much of the system as possible see the screen as a horizontal-format display from the start, rather than having to convince several different components of what the orientation should be.

I have my TTY going horizontal properly by adding fbcon=rotate:1 to my kernel parameters. That still doesn't affect Wayland's default orientation, but it's a start. I don't know enough about how displays work to know if what I really want is possible or not, but if it is, I'd still love to be able to set the rotation more permanently. As I said above, I'm not particularly interested in using auto-rotation or GUI-specific rotation settings.
You can try setting this in /etc/xdg/weston/weston.ini

https://www.technexion.com/support/knowl...n-desktop/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Automatic screen rotation frtodd 14 4,438 04-10-2024, 06:37 AM
Last Post: frtodd
  PineTab 2 login screen rotation fix chzbacon 11 3,986 03-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: mtomaschett
  Ubuntu touch rotation GloriousCoffee 3 1,174 01-09-2024, 06:01 AM
Last Post: polrus