Plex server
(05-10-2016, 01:35 PM)malevolent Wrote: Perhaps I'm not understanding anything, but as fas as I can understand, plex installs on that device with this repo... and if I didn't understand either wrong what others said, they could it make it work on pine64 with those steps. I even saw a screenshot of plex working on it.

Am I understanding it bad?

Probably not - its not your fault for not knowing and following instructions. But wherever the instructions are from they are obviously bad or you missed something. The repository you added does not contain the architecture you added. That is what the error says. Either use another repository with arm64 architecture or add the respository as the architecture which it supports. Pine64 only usefull other supported arch is armhf and you need a multi-arch capable system to use that. Google for it and you find plenty instructions for Ubuntu.
Thank you longsleep.

By the way, even apt-get update fails, plexmediaserver installs!
So, I can disable this repo in order to update the system.

Thank you all!
(05-10-2016, 02:33 PM)malevolent Wrote: By the way, even apt-get update fails, plexmediaserver installs!

Bullshit. "apt-get update" informs you that after you added the armhf architecture and a repo that only contains armhf packages no arm64 packages can be found in this specific repo. This is not an error, not even a warning, just an informative message.

You should follow instructions that are known to work and confirmed by several people that consist of 7 steps and you stop right after step 5 since you're scared by a message you don't want to understand (it has been described several times in this thread already!). So the only error is you stopping for no reason instead of finishing the installation.
Thanks for the guide! This was my first experience with Linux, and after several attempts, I was able to get it to work! I got up to 4 streams off-network on my 1GB board.
Does anyone else have issues playing certain files? Error: "Server is not powerful enough to convert video"
I have this happening with a few .avi files as well as when I turn on subtitles. Also, I am not able to control the streaming quality.
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04
Videos are pulling from a crappy USB 2.0 flash drive formatted NTFS.
(05-16-2016, 07:11 PM)FreakingNoobs Wrote: Thanks for the guide! This was my first experience with Linux, and after several attempts, I was able to get it to work! I got up to 4 streams off-network on my 1GB board.
Does anyone else have issues playing certain files? Error: "Server is not powerful enough to convert video"
I have this happening with a few .avi files as well as when I turn on subtitles. Also, I am not able to control the streaming quality.
I'm running Ubuntu 16.04
Videos are pulling from a crappy USB 2.0 flash drive formatted NTFS.

Not sure if its this plex thread or another one, but tkaiser has pointed out that the pine is not powerful enough to do transcoding. That is likely your issue.
No, If you try to transcode it will say the server is not powerfull enough. But with .mkv or .mp4 works well as is a Direct play.

I did optimise the library so the 90% of my media is Direct Play capable.
Heart PINE64: StackExchange Community => PINE64 Commmunity Proposal.

Proposal Status Link to Forum=> PINE64 Status Forum
Remenber to Upvote Proposed questions. And give a Follow.
Hello all, 

Trying to install the server and I belive I am having trouble with one of the steps

Code:
apt-get install binutils:armhf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package binutils:armhf is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'binutils:armhf' has no installation candidate

I try to install binutils and this happens, I am not very good at command line stuff much anymore have not used unix since the late 90s and am trying to learn, and while I am picking up things quick, when it comes to the pine I am struggling a bit.  I am trying to get a friend of mine one of these so that he can help me learn to port software and such but for now, how do I go about fixing this problem?

Sorry for the stupid question.
Little beats big when little is smart. First with the head, then with the heart.  P.K. ~Power of One~
I just wanted to jump in this thread and thank everyone involved. The entire reason I backed the Pine was to set up a media server. Within 20 minutes of me finding this thread (time to dd not included) I had this up and running, streaming movies from an NAS I've mounted to my xbox flawlessly. This is absolutely perfect. Thanks again!
Duplicate thread of https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=25

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mastodon instance \ Nextcloud Server fearg 1 4,526 03-31-2020, 08:18 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Plex server arghne 59 136,781 07-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Moshe.Vazan
  Turn your Pine64 into a music server with mpd JulianM 2 10,965 03-23-2017, 10:50 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 as NAS/Media Server VandaL.pr! 1 6,127 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Luke
  3d printer server oldsmarracin 3 5,481 09-13-2016, 02:43 AM
Last Post: JAYJAYN
  Cannot install Plex Media Server under Arch Linux malevolent 2 5,500 09-11-2016, 12:20 PM
Last Post: ChrisLane
  Building Stratum One NTP Server lospinos 5 8,684 08-23-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Starbound Server. Is the Pine64 capable? iamfallen 1 3,895 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
Brick Minecraft Server chrislink14 16 28,805 05-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Last Post: jeremycobert
  Media server montero65 3 6,006 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Last Post: queonda