Sim cards and carriers, discussion
I don't have my PinePhone yet, I'll be sure to post my experiences with multiple different European carriers when I do. In the meantime, how is roaming? I don't know if this applies to the US but in Europe, every time you travel abroad, you roam to a visitor network. Does anyone have any experience with this?
(10-22-2020, 12:37 AM)dthaha Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 10:02 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Has anyone been able to get a Verizon or Verizon MVNO sim card to be recognized by the Pine phone ?

I guess 'plainenough' did get one going with the help from a Verizon employee at the retail store, but that seems to be the only one..?

So far in the US  it seems just AT&T and T-Mobile and their MVNO's are the carriers who have sim cards that work in the Pine phones.
US Mobile (not US Cellular) is a MVNO under their "Super LTE" branding and I have working calls, sms, and LTE. Tested under Manjaro Beta1 with the new modem firmware.
Any particular setup requirements? I could not get it to work on my ubports CE pinephone. I haven't tried the new modem firmware. How is it compared to the old?
(10-17-2020, 10:02 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Has anyone been able to get a Verizon or Verizon MVNO sim card to be recognized by the Pine phone ?

I guess 'plainenough' did get one going with the help from a Verizon employee at the retail store, but that seems to be the only one..?

So far in the US  it seems just AT&T and T-Mobile and their MVNO's are the carriers who have sim cards that work in the Pine phones.
US Mobile (not US Cellular) is a MVNO under their "Super LTE" branding and I have working calls, sms, and LTE. Tested under Manjaro Beta1 with the new modem firmware.

IS  US Mobile a Verizon MVNO ?

Then there is only 4g LTE available ?   I believe Verizon has dropped all support for 3g  ?

Using Simple Mobile (MVNO) service :

My PMOS Convergent phone running the Mobian Oct 22 nightly

The data hot spot works great,  I am using my laptop via the pine phone.

Much snappier this way than the onboard browser  !  And a much better screen to navigate...

SMS text works good,  current nightly still has issues with 'sound settings' for voice calls.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-22-2020, 02:46 AM)bcnaz Wrote:

Then there is only 4g LTE available ?   I believe Verizon has dropped all support for 3g  ?

Much snappier this way than the onboard browser  !  And a much better screen to navigate...

SMS text works good,  current nightly still has issues with 'sound settings' for voice calls.
US Mobile offers both Verizon and T-mobile service via choice of Sim card. Both are VoLTE only now*. Only AT&T is still allowing new gsm only accounts.

T-mobile is still using gsm in not yet converted areas, but will only allow on new phones that are capable of VoLTE and has set their network to VoLTE preffered in anticipation of terminating their 2g/3g phone service in Feb 2021. This has become a point of discussion in the ubports forums.
(10-22-2020, 02:46 AM)bcnaz Wrote:

US Mobile is Verizon MVNO. VoLTE and SMS works well. As for data just use the a blank APN with the name "Verizon." On activation, you need a "Verizon certified" IMEI for them to do anything. You can buy a cheap iPhone SE for like $40 used if you need it to activate. The new firmware works well with deep sleep inbound calls. Haven't tested power consumption. I'll test T-Mobile soon on the new firmware.
I just received a  "Pure Talk"  sim card,  using it in a PMOS Convergence phone, running the Oct. 24 release of Arch on sd card.

Everything just "works"  Talk & text both incoming and outgoing,  data works good, as does the hot spot.

((The camera app and viewer needs work, but that is a subject for a different thread.))

I am in Southern Arizona, USA.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I use US Mobile for my PP. SIM card works and they have low monthly plans. This was the only carrier I found to work.
(10-22-2020, 04:42 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: T-mobile is still using gsm in not yet converted areas, but will only allow on new phones that are capable of VoLTE and has set their network to VoLTE preffered in anticipation of terminating their 2g/3g phone service in Feb 2021. This has become a point of discussion in the ubports forums.

I thought I’d seen T-Mobile a few months ago talking about wanting to drop 2G/3G at the end of 2020? Did they announce pushing it out a little bit?
(10-29-2020, 12:28 PM)desca Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 04:42 AM)rocket2nfinity Wrote: T-mobile is still using gsm in not yet converted areas, but will only allow on new phones that are capable of VoLTE and has set their network to VoLTE preffered in anticipation of terminating their 2g/3g phone service in Feb 2021. This has become a point of discussion in the ubports forums.

I thought I’d seen T-Mobile a few months ago talking about wanting to drop 2G/3G at the end of 2020? Did they announce pushing it out a little bit?
Quite the opposite. Current press release now says Jan 1 2021. Hadn't seen the update. They just keep pushing that date forward...
(10-29-2020, 09:53 PM)rocket2nfinity Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 12:28 PM)desca Wrote: I thought I’d seen T-Mobile a few months ago talking about wanting to drop 2G/3G at the end of 2020? Did they announce pushing it out a little bit?
Quite the opposite. Current press release now says Jan 1 2021. Hadn't seen the update. They just keep pushing that date forward...

Where was the press release? I was never able to find anything making it official.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MMS-Monitor: Help for carriers with dual APNs? treebeard 2 1,249 02-10-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Phone carriers and the Speakout carrier bedtime 3 1,968 08-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Oblivion2528
  compatible carriers the7thpoint 2 1,641 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  UK Carriers Zweitaktmotor 4 2,887 03-27-2022, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Dog House Dave
  Carriers do not support PinePhone? rey70 22 12,814 02-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  pinephone 2 specs discussion - 5G WiFi6 BT5 NFC? - mitcoes 17 16,357 10-08-2021, 07:50 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
Question Mobile Carriers 67comet 29 27,332 07-14-2021, 11:47 PM
Last Post: rocket2nfinity
  Pinephone inexpensive carriers and free carriers linux_n 8 8,745 07-13-2021, 01:09 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Cannot boot from SD cards any longer. MadHopsMan 8 7,028 05-11-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Avatars
  Performance improvements, discussion Soong 1 2,204 05-03-2021, 12:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic