Pinecil -> Pinegun?
Also just joined to add to this discussion. I think making a "smart" hot glue gun would be great. Using 18650 seems to be the best most straightforward way. I have emailed miniware about it and from what I can tell they do not intend to make one. It would be a solid part of the lineup and solidify pine64 hardware in every portable tool kit.

I would love for it to work like the Ryobi glue gun but using a tool brand battery may not be feasible. The more I think about it the harder todo the battery justice becomes. Maybe just doing the standard USB c and Barrel jack would be the cleanest way of going about it.
Hi all. I'd still love to see a (full size) hot glue gun with controls like the pinecil, but wanted to make sure everyone knows about a recent product by Dremel. They call it a hot glue pen. I got mine about a week ago. It uses the smaller size glue sticks, but is wireless (4v rechargeable cell), and heats in 15 seconds. You won't do any big hot glue tasks with it, but a lot of the time I want hot glue it's only for a small task and it's super annoying to wait for my full size gun to heat up... and I usually walk away while waiting and then come back to the glue boiling and making a mess. If the folks at pine make a hot glue gun, I'll still be purchasing it, but if they don't (or until they do), I at least have something less annoying to use than my full size gun.
This morning I had to use our glue gun to make something for the kids in a hurry and I realized how hard we need a kind of pinecil in glue gun format. I talked about it with my wife, and she agreed. She said the reason why nobody cares about these extra features is because they make this kind of stuff for woman and kids and woman and kids don't think about the possibility of extra features so they don't ask and it as result it doesn't get made.
Andreas Spiess made a video how to implement a bunch of these features in extra hardware: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAsyI_s4zIw
Someone has likely already said this but....
Why not strip a Pinecil and install the board(can you buy a spare pinecil board?) and a compatible temperature sensor into a DC power hot glue gun.
Seems like an easy thing to do considering how flexible the OS/software is and how similar the task is.
That and you could likely get the same flexibility from an ATtiny45, a power MOSFET, and a temp and maybe motion sensor of some sort to just have simple temp control, a fast rise temperature and maybe some sort of sleep mode though thermal inertia in a standard glue tip makes that difficult without a coolant loop.
(07-05-2021, 04:51 AM)biketool Wrote: Someone has likely already said this but....
Why not strip a Pinecil and install the board(can you buy a spare pinecil board?) and a compatible temperature sensor into a DC power hot glue gun.
Seems like an easy thing to do considering how flexible the OS/software is and how similar the task is.
That and you could likely get the same flexibility from an ATtiny45, a power MOSFET, and a temp and maybe motion sensor of some sort to just have simple temp control, a fast rise temperature and maybe some sort of sleep mode though thermal inertia in a standard glue tip makes that difficult without a coolant loop.

Yeah, I guess you could, but it'd be a hack and a bit wonky, like all the glue guns out there.
(12-30-2020, 01:25 AM)VaZso Wrote: This would be a good idea anyway, hot glue guns are usually dumb devices which can be easily overheated.

It reminds me when I have bought my first USB-powered soldering Nox iron and thought it has low power, but may be suitable for small works - no, it wasn't suitable at all as it lacked every kind of temperature acmarket control and its problem was not its low power but overheating...
Pinecil (and TS100 for sure) solves this problem, mine has just arrived and I like it.

Hot guns still need to be designed with proper temperature control as they generally have the very same problem what I had with my first USB-powered soldering iron. Smile

I agreed, hot guns needs proper temperature control, low power iron still has same overheating problems too. I'm waiting and see updates about this matter.  Undecided
I would be willing to contribute my time into development of this. It seems like such a natural leap from pinecil -> pineglue. The entire board would stay the same, just need to change the heating element and the form factor.
(10-12-2023, 07:54 AM)rocketman Wrote: I would be willing to contribute my time into development of this. It seems like such a natural leap from pinecil -> pineglue. The entire board would stay the same, just need to change the heating element and the form factor.

I recommend checking out Andreas Spiess' video, as mentioned earlier. He suggests that it would be helpful if pineglues had a built-in light to indicate when they are hot..I, too, agree that pineglues are better than pinecils.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation What is this - Pinecil V3? andrea6 2 5,714 12-19-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tllim
  on pinepower, pinecil stopped working.. sanderboer 1 1,053 09-23-2022, 03:47 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Just got my Pinecil donwynne 1 1,519 04-22-2022, 07:01 AM
Last Post: bbeeast
  Pinecil Broken? skaaq 4 5,796 01-25-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: skaaq
  Pinecil stuck in shipping? mbreese 3 4,637 01-07-2021, 07:46 AM
Last Post: moxx
  Pinecil - Tip Disconnected molzy 2 4,450 01-03-2021, 07:21 AM
Last Post: molzy
  Pinecil arrived VaZso 0 2,315 12-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Last Post: VaZso
  Just got my Pinecil EricL 0 1,887 12-10-2020, 02:38 PM