Any timeline for kernel 5.8?
Pretty much what it says in the title; 5.8 has lots of bug fixes and the ANX7688 driver. Latest update from the dev channel is still on 5.6 .
Aside from the driver for support of a dock with HDMI/Display output. What fixes are you aware of that would benefit ubports? I think almost all of the outstanding issues aside from the camera driver and MMS are user land related.
(09-29-2020, 09:04 AM)plainenough Wrote: Aside from the driver for support of a dock with HDMI/Display output. What fixes are you aware of that would benefit ubports? I think almost all of the outstanding issues aside from the camera driver and MMS are user land related.

Many bugfixes from the downstream branches of 5.6 (and 5.7) have been integrated into upstream 5.8 so any future bugfixes should be based on that upstreamed code for maintainability. But aside from initial support for HDMI/DP docks the ANX7688 driver also supports negotiation of fast charging. Also the upstream ashmem and binder drivers in 5.8 are now sufficient for Anbox to function without DKMS, I'd imagine it should help out Android app support in UBPorts as well.

As a small side note, MMS shouldn't need anything else from the kernel since those go over the same serial bus as SMS.
(09-29-2020, 09:04 AM)plainenough Wrote: Aside from the driver for support of a dock with HDMI/Display output. What fixes are you aware of that would benefit ubports? I think almost all of the outstanding issues aside from the camera driver and MMS are user land related.

The big one for me is that as far as I understand, the upstream support for the hardware H.264 decoder landed in 5.8.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update Channels & Kernel Version mark1250 2 3,080 03-20-2021, 08:26 AM
Last Post: mark1250
  Kernel update failing issues KNERD 5 6,516 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM
Last Post: KNERD
  Kernel Update Channel Zweitaktmotor 2 3,667 01-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Korac