Incorrectly asssembled keyboard
Hi,

My Pinebook Pro finally arrived after a delay caused by DHL not releasing the package until a week after I had paid the import duty. I was disappointed to discover that my new laptop was delivered without a UK adapter for the power supply and, more seriously, has an incorrectly assembled ISO keyboard: The 'H' key is missing and there are two ';' keys with all the keys in between shifted one place to the left.

In addition, there also seems to be a problem with the laptop display: Instead of the Manjaro logo, I get striped vertical lines in the middle of the display and the laptop hangs. Powering off/on seems to resolve the problem, but restarting the computer results in the display problem and the laptop hangs, requiring power off/on to resolve the problem.

I've been waiting five days for a response to my ticket on the Pine64 support site but despite two emails to Pine64 I've not received a response to my ticket #7100, so I decided to post a message here: I carefully prised off the key-tops from the incorrectly assembled keys, replaced them shifted one place to the right, and used the duplicate ';' key in place of the missing 'H' key. I've also flashed the Armbian Focal image to eMMC and the display appears to be working properly.

I was very optimistic about Pine64 and, despite being charged extra for delivery to the 'Highlands and Islands' of Scotland and the delays caused by DHL's incompetance, I am pleased to have my Pinebook Pro working with an NVMe SSD. However, I'm disappointed by the poor level of support I've received so far - I HOPE Pine64 are willing to send me an 'H' keytop to replace the duplicate ';' key at the very least in order to restore my confidence in the Pine64 support system!

Tony Travis

(09-22-2020, 03:36 AM)ajtravis Wrote: Hi,

My Pinebook Pro finally arrived after a delay caused by DHL not releasing the package until a week after I had paid the import duty. I was disappointed to discover that my new laptop was delivered without a UK adapter for the power supply and, more seriously, has an incorrectly assembled ISO keyboard: The 'H' key is missing and there are two ';' keys with all the keys in between shifted one place to the left.

In addition, there also seems to be a problem with the laptop display: Instead of the Manjaro logo, I get striped vertical lines in the middle of the display and the laptop hangs. Powering off/on seems to resolve the problem, but restarting the computer results in the display problem and the laptop hangs, requiring power off/on to resolve the problem.

I've been waiting five days for a response to my ticket on the Pine64 support site but despite two emails to Pine64 I've not received a response to my ticket #7100, so I decided to post a message here: I carefully prised off the key-tops from the incorrectly assembled keys, replaced them shifted one place to the right, and used the duplicate ';' key in place of the missing 'H' key. I've also flashed the Armbian Focal image to eMMC and the display appears to be working properly.

I was very optimistic about Pine64 and, despite being charged extra for delivery to the 'Highlands and Islands' of Scotland and the delays caused by DHL's incompetance, I am pleased to have my Pinebook Pro working with an NVMe SSD. However, I'm disappointed by the poor level of support I've received so far - I HOPE Pine64 are willing to send me an 'H' keytop to replace the duplicate ';' key at the very least in order to restore my confidence in the Pine64 support system!

Tony Travis

holly smokes ,if that's not photo shopped ,what an abysmal qc at that assembly line,
ps: sorry, its really looks funny if it wouldn't be so sad.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 127,142 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  Separate ISO keyboard for PBP Besouro 0 651 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Besouro
Information Keyboard Duplicate Keypress Fix RjraymondDuplicate 0 1,064 02-17-2022, 11:52 PM
Last Post: RjraymondDuplicate
  keyboard and usb ports not working User 24565 3 2,584 02-15-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Replacing the Keyboard gabb 6 6,309 01-11-2022, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Valenoern
  power on PBP if your keyboard is dead? stozi 0 1,284 11-29-2021, 01:55 PM
Last Post: stozi
  Replacement scissor switches (ANSI keyboard)? zackw 3 3,723 08-09-2021, 09:20 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Some keyboard keys not working oddsocks 10 10,489 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Spare parts / keyboard mbreese 2 4,117 01-07-2021, 07:40 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  How easy is it to add donor keyboard and trackpad? ENV 3 5,003 11-12-2020, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Kaythe