Do I need the touchpad update?
Hey guys, still enjoying my PBP and having a blast with a few different distros.

Manjaro is still by far the best; I certainly wish there was a decent Ubuntu option. What is your favorite Ubuntu distro for PBP? - I even liked the close-to-Ubuntu Armbian.....

But for THIS question:

I got my PBP two weeks ago, so its one of the more recent deliveries... I've been told in other posts to update my touchpad firmware. However, since my PBP is a recent delivery do I still need to do this? Or... how do I check to see if my touchpad is on the most current firmware?

And, is this an upgrade that people have a lot of issues with? The touchpad *IS* the weakest point of this laptop, however with taps as opposed to clicks I have learned it enough that it isn't REALLY in my way. It sucks a little bit, but... I can get around the desktop using it.

I live in terminal alot so.... and/or I can always just use an external. However, if doing the update will help it be a little smoother - without much risk or downside; I think I am capable of doing the update.

I can search the wiki, but if you know where the info is about it, too that would be helpful.

Thanks for any details - I just wonder since mine is so new, maybe its already updated. THANKS.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
I'd say only update that firmware if you find a reason to. If you are having trouble with the touchpad, then yes. Check your OS's mouse/touchpad settings first in any case.

I find that the touchpad operation is very highly dependant on the operating system. Debian seems to handle it much better than Manjaro, and NetBSD does even better.
(09-22-2020, 12:17 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: I'd say only update that firmware if you find a reason to. If you are having trouble with the touchpad, then yes.  Check your OS's mouse/touchpad settings first in any case.

I find that the touchpad operation is very highly dependant on the operating system.  Debian seems to handle it much better than Manjaro, and NetBSD does even better.

I 'think' the newer PBP's come with the 'updated firmware', but if that does not work for you, 
  you could try Jack Humbolts (not certain of the spelling) firmware update.
  Many forum members do prefer his firmware version over the Pine64 version.

I have been happy with the factory firmware on both my ISO and ANSI PBP's  but I remember seeing a
lot of posts late last year and early this year on the forum.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-22-2020, 02:31 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 12:17 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: I'd say only update that firmware if you find a reason to. If you are having trouble with the touchpad, then yes.  Check your OS's mouse/touchpad settings first in any case.

I find that the touchpad operation is very highly dependant on the operating system.  Debian seems to handle it much better than Manjaro, and NetBSD does even better.

I 'think' the newer PBP's come with the 'updated firmware', but if that does not work for you, 
  you could try Jack Humbolts (not certain of the spelling) firmware update.
  Many forum members do prefer his firmware version over the Pine64 version.

I have been happy with the factory firmware on both my ISO and ANSI PBP's  but I remember seeing a
lot of posts late last year and early this year on the forum.

Thanks for both of your replies - but especially, bcnaz has been very helpful on multiple posts. I appreciate that, kind sir or lady. Furthermore, I'll do some forum searching about Jack Humboldts firmware.. I hadn't heard of that yet. 

If anyone has a link to how to check what firmware is on there currently, that would be helpful - but I'm also capable of reading the wiki and finding out; if you got it in front of you, please send a link... but don't go hunting for ME. Tongue

The trackpad on my PBP is certainly the weak point on the whole laptop, however it functions... and I can dial in settings in OS to speed it up/invert it the way I like - regardless of all that tho, it is the weak point on a Pinebook Pro IMO.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Finally... The touchpad works great! dsimic 111 137,691 03-13-2023, 09:41 PM
Last Post: kellrobinson
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 981 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,141 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,363 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,722 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,505 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z