PBP disappointment
I have to disagree about the PBP not being hardware hackable.  But in any case

Put your favourite OS (NetBSD, yes??) on an SD card. 

If you can boot to it, erase the eMMC.  `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdk3 bs=8m` or Linux command to fit.

If you cannot boot to the SD card, you must switch off the eMMC, and switch it back on after the SD starts booting.  Be careful: when disassembled, the PBP is very fragile, flimsy, and loose (important) parts fly out if you're not extremely careful.  Then, erase the eMMC as above.
(09-24-2020, 03:01 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I have to disagree about the PBP not being hardware hackable.  But in any case

If you can boot to it, erase the eMMC.  `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdk3 bs=8m` or Linux command to fit.

If you cannot boot to the SD card, you must switch off the eMMC, and switch it back on after the SD starts booting.  Be careful: the PBP is very fragile, flimsy, and loose (important) parts fly out if you're not extremely careful.  Then, erase the eMMC as above.

Thanks "KC9UDX!

The question is, which release do I need for the PBP?

https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/

It is stated in the link "However, the single GENERIC/GENERIC64 kernel now supports a range of machines..."
BUT
it doesn't point to that "GENERIC/GENERIC64" file I can download.
WHERE do I find this "GENERIC/GENERIC64" file?

If your suggestion doesn't work, honest to goodness, I'll rename the PBP to PAIN BOOK PRO.
I FAIL TO SEE WHY it doesn't boot manjaro from the SD card I etched and I FAIL TO SEE WHY it doesn't turn on from battery!

Thanks!
http://www.armbsd.org/arm/
But you have to be somewhat skilled and happy doing cli interface things,
do you know how to setup wpa_supplicant?
>I FAIL TO SEE WHY it doesn't boot manjaro from the SD card I etched and I FAIL TO SEE WHY it doesn't turn on from battery!
The SD card is bad somehow, sends pbp into hardlock
Test, if you wish, format card (with win box) and insert, boot, probably won't lock
If display manager is no good, USE vt
login as rock:rock,,, then id ,, are you in sudo group?
I suspect that "extra long press" does same as pushing reset
If there is no media,, no uboot,, computer will appear dead
If you have used a "bad" card computer may appear dead
bad card must be removed, extra long press or reset, with "good" media inserted
To change password,, passwd ,, to add user,, useradd
Well my suggestion of NetBSD was tongue-in-cheek. Somewhere I got the impression you wanted a simple system that you could be in complete control of. But NetBSD is not for the faint of heart, nor the impatient. It'll take time and serious patience to learn it and make it work. I'm not suggesting that this isn't you, just be aware that you won't download NetBSD today and have a Windows-like user experience today or tomorrow.

Also beware that NetBSD isn't 100% on the PBP yet. The inbuilt wifi barely works.
(09-24-2020, 09:55 AM)fenyo Wrote: Paulie420”
Thanks for your input!
You are absolutely right; “for me, the PBP is less of a tinker toy and more of an ARM based laptop to be used and compatible WITH my tinker toys. (Raspberry Pi projects, etc.)”
FYI
I read or heard it somewhere, that if you chose to install the package that boots the Pi from USB, if something goes wrong, the Pi becomes useless.
I wanted to have a fully operational linux laptop, to get away from that damnable, inferior windows monstrosity. The Raspberry Pi did that but it is not a laptop machine. If I would be able to THROW OUT the rock board that doesn’t rock at all and install the Pi, I would not hesitate for a moment.
One can’t do too much with the PBP, as far as hardware hacking goes. The Raspberry Pi is really the platform for hardware hackings and projects.
I’m going to try to etch (Yes, with Balena etcher) another SD card but as of now, the long awaited PBP is collecting dust...until I go out and do some target shooting.
Thanks again for everybody who had or has any meaningful input to solve this problem...if solvable.

I do disagree with you; I use RPi's... and they are great but the ONLY thing they have that the Pine64 equipment doesn't is support. They have a larger community and novice-level tools that allow you to let someone else do the work...

I use them for most of my projects... however, I'm super happy for a company, Pine64, that offers what that level of support doesn't allow...

The PBP, an ARM-based *laptop*... the PinePhone, which is even less developed than the PBP but... a Linux Cell Phone with capability of a Linux desktop?? Thats ground breaking... the PineTime; EVEN less developed - but so much possibility.

I am sorry that the process didn't go novice-level for you; however I hope that you stop. Stop repeating the things that didn't work. (I don't mean stop TALKING about it but.. lets stop the things that AREN'T working, and get your PBP fixed perfect.)

I do want you to know, that... if some of the users here had their hands on your PBP, they would have it booting fine in less than an hour.

Since *WE* aren't them, lets iron this out... how can I help?
I gaurantee that we can get it back to day 1 status as if you just opened it... and didn't make a mistake. (OR, I think your original issue was locale was set incorrectly; so your passwords didn't match, but then you changed the underlying system and took steps that are now roadblocks you it working correctly for YOU.)

I've never flipped the eMMC switch, and know that that comes with some issues that we have to deal with now.

I hope you'll start a new thread, and write facts so that WE can help you overcome them...

The PBP was always sold as a development platform for tinkerers... and I hope that you end up liking the tinker part. Tongue We can get this computer working the way you want.

I think you'd be served well with:

MANJARO installed on the eMMC, setup just so that it CAN be booted with no SDcard inserted...
And then, the SDcard slot WORKING as boot #2 - when inserted, the PBP boots from the SDcard thats inserted...

Would that be a system that would work for you?

(09-26-2020, 08:20 AM)fenyo Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 03:01 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I have to disagree about the PBP not being hardware hackable.  But in any case

If you cannot boot to the SD card, you must switch off the eMMC, and switch it back on after the SD starts booting.  Be careful: the PBP is very fragile, flimsy, and loose (important) parts fly out if you're not extremely careful.  Then, erase the eMMC as above.

Thanks "KC9UDX!

It is stated in the link "However, the single GENERIC/GENERIC64 kernel now supports a range of machines..."
BUT

If your suggestion doesn't work, honest to goodness, I'll rename the PBP to PAIN BOOK PRO.
I FAIL TO SEE WHY it doesn't boot manjaro from the SD card I etched and I FAIL TO SEE WHY it doesn't turn on from battery!

Thanks!
I'd suggest Manjaro burned to an SDcard; then burned to eMMC *just* so theres a normal system on the eMMC...

After that, I like Elementary Ubuntu... its easy and works pretty great on an SDcard.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
(09-26-2020, 01:34 PM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(09-24-2020, 09:55 AM)fenyo Wrote: Paulie420”
Thanks for your input!
You are absolutely right; “for me, the PBP is less of a tinker toy and more of an ARM based laptop to be used and compatible WITH my tinker toys. (Raspberry Pi projects, etc.)”
FYI
I read or heard it somewhere, that if you chose to install the package that boots the Pi from USB, if something goes wrong, the Pi becomes useless.
I wanted to have a fully operational linux laptop, to get away from that damnable, inferior windows monstrosity. The Raspberry Pi did that but it is not a laptop machine. If I would be able to THROW OUT the rock board that doesn’t rock at all and install the Pi, I would not hesitate for a moment.
One can’t do too much with the PBP, as far as hardware hacking goes. The Raspberry Pi is really the platform for hardware hackings and projects.
I’m going to try to etch (Yes, with Balena etcher) another SD card but as of now, the long awaited PBP is collecting dust...until I go out and do some target shooting.
Thanks again for everybody who had or has any meaningful input to solve this problem...if solvable.

I do disagree with you; I use RPi's... and they are great but the ONLY thing they have that the Pine64 equipment doesn't is support. They have a larger community and novice-level tools that allow you to let someone else do the work...

I use them for most of my projects... however, I'm super happy for a company, Pine64, that offers what that level of support doesn't allow...

The PBP, an ARM-based *laptop*... the PinePhone, which is even less developed than the PBP but... a Linux Cell Phone with capability of a Linux desktop?? Thats ground breaking... the PineTime; EVEN less developed - but so much possibility.

I am sorry that the process didn't go novice-level for you; however I hope that you stop. Stop repeating the things that didn't work. (I don't mean stop TALKING about it but.. lets stop the things that AREN'T working, and get your PBP fixed perfect.)

I do want you to know, that... if some of the users here had their hands on your PBP, they would have it booting fine in less than an hour.

Since *WE* aren't them, lets iron this out... how can I help?
I gaurantee that we can get it back to day 1 status as if you just opened it... and didn't make a mistake. (OR, I think your original issue was locale was set incorrectly; so your passwords didn't match, but then you changed the underlying system and took steps that are now roadblocks you it working correctly for YOU.)

I've never flipped the eMMC switch, and know that that comes with some issues that we have to deal with now.

I hope you'll start a new thread, and write facts so that WE can help you overcome them...

The PBP was always sold as a development platform for tinkerers... and I hope that you end up liking the tinker part. [emoji14] We can get this computer working the way you want.

I think you'd be served well with:

MANJARO installed on the eMMC, setup just so that it CAN be booted with no SDcard inserted...
And then, the SDcard slot WORKING as boot #2 - when inserted, the PBP boots from the SDcard thats inserted...

Would that be a system that would work for you?

(09-26-2020, 08:20 AM)fenyo Wrote:

Thanks "KC9UDX!

BUT

Thanks!
I'd suggest Manjaro burned to an SDcard; then burned to eMMC *just* so theres a normal system on the eMMC...

After that, I like Elementary Ubuntu... its easy and works pretty great on an SDcard.
Well said! I like your approach to supporting the community...[emoji106]

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I'd use Debian over Manjaro for this just because it seems more reliable at this point.
(09-26-2020, 09:13 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: I'd use Debian over Manjaro for this just because it seems more reliable at this point.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Can the PBP function WITHOUT the emmc, if it is taken out?
WHAT is on the emmc?
Only the chosen operating system or something else that is required for booting?
Can the PBP function WITH SD CARD ONLY, WITH NO EMMC?

WHAT does the "Reset" switch reset?
Is it the emmc?
Is it the SD card?
Is it the "Password"?
Is it the time?
Is it the entire "Setup" process?
Is it.....the list could go on.
WHAT does the "Reset" switch reset?
I couldn't find any info on it.
Why is it there?
What NEEDS to be reset?
WHEN should it be used?
It is there for a reason.

Thanks
emmc is just like SD, faster, 2x wider bus, contains same as SD
Somewhere, there MUST be a working (idbloader,uboot,ATF,, last 2 may be combined)
AND a working OS,, maybe uboot turns on leds, varies amongst uboots
(with no uboot, computer will appear dead, but I've said this before)

>I couldn't find any info on it.
None of the above
Because there is a battery, can remember a "fucked up" situation between power-offs
Even if all media is changed, so must be in cpu???
reset, and I think, extra long press is a hard reset, gets rid of bad data (memory timing???)
Used when there is a "hard lockup" appears dead, only led is red chg led, no others ever
(if booted, bad video, caps lock, num lock work,, toggle appropriate led)
From a bad uboot or perhaps wrong dtb,
for me, 1st time put an a64 SD in, obviously did not/would not boot
Shit, I've bricked it.... much hair later, lucked out, extra long press
(and 1st time, pressed 17s, didn't work, tried again, LONGER, worked)
I think I have had to do this 8 times, but I experiment
(and my pbp is a virgin)
(09-27-2020, 08:59 PM)wdt Wrote: emmc is just like SD, faster, 2x wider bus, contains same as SD
Somewhere, there MUST be a working (idbloader,uboot,ATF,, last 2 may be combined)
AND a working OS,, maybe uboot turns on leds, varies amongst uboots
(with no uboot, computer will appear dead, but I've said this before)

>I couldn't find any info on it.
None of the above
Because there is a battery, can remember a "fucked up" situation between power-offs
Even if all media is changed, so must be in cpu???
reset, and I think, extra long press is a hard reset, gets rid of bad data (memory timing???)
Used when there is a "hard lockup" appears dead, only led is red chg led, no others ever
(if booted, bad video, caps lock, num lock work,, toggle appropriate led)
From a bad uboot or perhaps wrong dtb,
for me, 1st time put an a64 SD in, obviously did not/would not boot
Shit, I've bricked it.... much hair later, lucked out, extra long press
(and 1st time, pressed 17s, didn't work, tried again, LONGER, worked)
I think I have had to do this 8 times, but I  experiment
(and my pbp is a virgin)

I looked what was on the SD card I etched before and EVERYTHING was erased, except one file. PERHAPS, that is what the “Reset” button does.

I etched Manjaro again and these are the MAIN directories
MANJARO_KDE-201
boot
efi
manjaro

manjaro” directory has a sub directory named “x86_64”
The “MANJARO_KDE_201” directory also has the “boot.catalog” and “efi.img” files.
The “boot” directory has the “grub” directory, “amd_ucode.img”, “amd_ucode.LICENSE”, “initramfs-86_64.img”, “intel_ucode.LICENSE”, “memtest”, “memtest.COPYING” and “vmlinuz-x86_64” files.
The “efi” directory has the “boot” directory, which has the file with the name “bootx64.efi”.

The machine always goes to emmc or if SD card is plugged in and emmc switch is switched, dead as a doornail.

Is your file system the same as mine?
Thanks