Pinebook Pro with 2GB RAM
Unfortunately, I received my Pinebook Pro with only 2 GB of RAM. So far, I haven't looked at whether there's a 2 GB chip or 4 GB because it's under a shield. Anyone else with a similar problem? Won't there be a need to set something up via the serial console? Or will a new mainboard be needed?
Have you already tried reaching out to Pine support?
That's odd - maybe a chip is bad?

Would definitely contact support.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(09-14-2020, 02:59 PM)gos007 Wrote: Unfortunately, I received my Pinebook Pro with only 2 GB of RAM. So far, I haven't looked at whether there's a 2 GB chip or 4 GB because it's under a shield. Anyone else with a similar problem? Won't there be a need to set something up via the serial console? Or will a new mainboard be needed?

Hello gos007

I received my Pinebook Pro today. After the first upgrade and reboot i have had the same issue.
After a shutdown and restart the process monitor and neofetch shows the real 4 GB RAM.

I hope this is only an software issue.

So far i m really impressed with the pinebook pro
I did a lot of shutdowns and restarts and it still shows me only 2 GB of RAM. I also tried other distros and the same problem.
(09-15-2020, 03:24 AM)zinksaucier Wrote: I received my Pinebook Pro today. After the first upgrade and reboot i have had the same issue.
After a shutdown and restart the process monitor and neofetch shows the real 4 GB RAM.

I hope this is only an software issue.

If you are running Manjaro, you should probably post this information, along with all steps up until 2gb of your ram disappeared, and your confirmation of 4gb through neofetch. if it is software related, it'll be best to let the devs know.
I am sad to say, that my Pinebook Pro freezed later that day and the Power LED was blinking orange.
It is very hard to restart it from shutdown and after that it shows 1,9 GB Ram.

I started with the installed Manjaro KDE, the next was the Manjaro XFCE on Micro SD Card and last was The PostmarketOS on Micro SD Card.
Every time i started the Pinebook Pro there is only 1,9 GB Ram

cat /proc/meminfo = MemTotal: 1960116 kB ; MemFree: 981836 kB ; MemAvailable: 1346292 kB

i will contact support tomorrow
(09-15-2020, 02:00 PM)gos007 Wrote: I did a lot of shutdowns and restarts and it still shows me only 2 GB of RAM. I also tried other distros and the same problem.

Well, first things last - try all the rebooting and updating that you can muster. And then, send out an email to support immediately. Get it on record that you reported it within the first few days of unpacking and all that good stuff.

This is a tinkerers hardware device; probably mass produced in China, and for $199 they aren't going to have the inspection control that Apple computers does on an iPhone. HOWEVER, I understand that this must be frustrating... I'm just saying get an email out now, and I think that Pine64 will treat your issue with respect.

Of course, I'm glad that I'm not experiencing any issues as of current - BUT if I do, I will give the company a chance to show who they are. I would be willing to bet they make it right; even if it means you having to do some install on your own, or waiting for a replacement. Lets see who Pine64 is together... theres plenty of single board computing choices out there- but I seem to think Pine64 is gonna turn out to be one of the good guys.

Following this thread; willing to help in any way I can... and lets see how this issue pans out. I'm sorry you're having to deal with it - but I think the community we're able to build on cool, cheap hardware is worth these small speedbumps.

pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
/s

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,908 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 302 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 228 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 619 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,226 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,999 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,138 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt