Security Based OS ?
Hello,
Does anyone think there will be a security type of OS built for the pinephone, like a Graphene but for the phinephone ? I'm sort of into that type of stuff and figure the phonephone would be a great platform to build something like that on.I could be wrong, and maybe I'm dreaming of something that can't or won't be created.
Any Linux image available for the PinePhone is more secure than Android.

You can look into hardening the kernel and other applications. You may also consider AppArmor, SELinux, firejail and other security measures you want to use. Some are built into a given distribution, others requires manual intervention, and a few will be incompatible with each other.

A couple of Wiki articles regarding hardening:
For what it's worth, I believe Mobian (Debian), postmarketOS (Alpine Linux) and Fedora will be the most secure. Ubuntu Touch by UBports has an immutable filesystem, if you value that.

Review the list of operating systems and go from there.
(09-14-2020, 04:07 AM)jed Wrote: Any Linux image available for the PinePhone is more secure than Android.

You can look into hardening the kernel and other applications. You may also consider AppArmor, SELinux, firejail and other security measures you want to use. Some are built into a given distribution, others requires manual intervention, and a few will be incompatible with each other.

A couple of Wiki articles regarding hardening:
For what it's worth, I believe Mobian (Debian), postmarketOS (Alpine Linux) and Fedora will be the most secure. Ubuntu Touch by UBports has an immutable filesystem, if you value that.

Review the list of operating systems and go from there.
Thank you !!! I appreciate your response. Like some I'm new to linux and the pinephone, I look into and read more about Mobian and PMOS.
You could check out Pure OS, that was/is being written for the Librem phone billed as a secure phone.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Note that PureOS is just Debian without access to the contrib or nonfree repositories (at least, from Purism). I believe they also compile the programs themselves, not using Debian's binaries.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Pinephone user experience - Possibly compromised by commercial & state-based hackers? danimations 15 7,251 05-07-2022, 06:54 PM
Last Post: danimations
  Security when buying a second hand PinePhone PineniP 6 4,037 12-08-2021, 07:46 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Security TurpentineOS 9 10,431 10-11-2021, 01:34 PM
Last Post: TurpentineOS
  Latest security loophole WSS 3 4,060 07-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Last Post: jrowe
  What OS is the pinephone community edition os based on? ljones 2 3,832 05-18-2020, 06:47 AM
Last Post: Boern