No video when booting from sd-card
Hey there,
when trying to boot my PineTab from sdcard I get no video output.
I put the sdcard in, boot by pressing the power-button for some seconds and wait. After some seconds the screen flashes for half a second white and then stays black.

I thought it would not even boot from the sdcard but I could boot the jumpdrive-image and install mobian on the internal storage. But the jumpdrive image gave me no videooutput too. From the PinePhone I know it should give some video-output.

The systems on the internal storage give me video-output, so the preinstalled ubports had video and mobian, installed ob internal storage, give me video-output too.

Is this know? Any hints?
Did you get the Mobian image from here https://images.mobian-project.org/pinetab/nightly/ ? It may be more helpful to the dev to add this as an issue on its gitlab
(09-09-2020, 12:28 PM)tophneal Wrote: Did you get the Mobian image from here https://images.mobian-project.org/pinetab/nightly/ ? It may be more helpful to the dev to add this as an issue on its gitlab

I had this image yes. But the same issue occured with Manjaro-Image or the jumpdrive, so I don't think it is mobian-specific.
oh, that's not good. have you checked the video cable connections inside?
(09-09-2020, 12:34 PM)tophneal Wrote: oh, that's not good. have you checked the video cable connections inside?

No. When running a system from the internal storage the video-output is working. Thats the strange thing about it. I only does not work when booting from sdcard. So it should not be a hardware-issue, maybe firmware?!
(09-09-2020, 12:54 PM)rakor Wrote: No. When running a system from the internal storage the video-output is working. Thats the strange thing about it. I only does not work when booting from sdcard. So it should not be a hardware-issue, maybe firmware?!

I got you. Yea, that sounds like a firmware issue, but the several people in the chats that have Mobian booted/working makes me pause on questioning it immediately.

Are you using a single SD or several/a few?
(09-09-2020, 01:00 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 12:54 PM)rakor Wrote: No. When running a system from the internal storage the video-output is working. Thats the strange thing about it. I only does not work when booting from sdcard. So it should not be a hardware-issue, maybe firmware?!

I got you. Yea, that sounds like a firmware issue, but the several people in the chats that have Mobian booted/working makes me pause on questioning it immediately.

Are you using a single SD or several/a few?
I tried 3 different cards. Two SanDisk and one noName

the cards work on the pinephone
(09-09-2020, 01:03 PM)rakor Wrote: I tried 3 different cards. Two SanDisk and one noName

This makes me wonder if perhaps there is an issue with the SD reader/connection of the Tab itself
(09-09-2020, 01:06 PM)tophneal Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 01:03 PM)rakor Wrote: I tried 3 different cards. Two SanDisk and one noName

This makes me wonder if perhaps there is an issue with the SD reader/connection of the Tab itself

Well first I thought this could be an sd-slot-problem. But I could flash mobian on the internal storage using the jumpdrive-image, bootet from sd-card (but without video-output). So I think sd-slot should be working... :/
I think I could not install a system on the internal storage if the sd-card would not have booted.
I just unboxed my pinetab and tried the Manjaro alpha 2 image with the same effect. Ubports on emmc works fine, but no video when booting from the SD card. Downloading mobian now and I'll try another SD card as well

Okay, so I switched to mobian on a different SD card. First boot attempt, no video out. I plugged into power and tried to boot, no luck. Long pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds to force power it off, and then booting again worked.

Reflashing the working mobian SD card with manjaro resulted in the same non-booting issue.

I'm thinking this might be 2 problems here.
  1. The occasional non-boot on mobian, fixable with a hard reboot. This is similar to some issues I've had with the PBP, where it seems to occasionally get in a weird power state.
  2. It looks like there may be an issue with the Manjaro Alpha 2 image booting on Pinetab.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maskrom: How to tell what's on the SD card? zogkarndon 7 297 03-24-2024, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Pavlos1
  Booting issue for postmarketos (tow-boot)? olyavi 0 983 09-15-2022, 05:38 AM
Last Post: olyavi
  Video Tutorial: SDR/GQRX- Listening In To Voice On Pinetab (Internal SDR) RTP 1 2,397 03-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Last Post: barray