Pin64.org looks to have been much too optimistic
(09-09-2020, 10:08 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: Even better, participate in the efforts to make it work. This is the point of open-source. We can all contribute, on any level, at any capacity.
Exactly!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Pine64 has no say as to what software you put your device... that's the point. If they DID make the software this would do two things:

1. Likely speed up the development of the software at an increased cost.

BUT

2. Incentives Pine64 to support their software primarily, defeating the purpose of the phone.

If they did make software for the phone, I wouldn't trust it. Pine phone offers choice. Choice to run whatever you want. If you decide to run software that doesn't act as a basic phone- that's on you.

From my limited experience two OS's that work fairly well at this point are Arch and PureOS. That is by no means a comprehensive complete list of "finished" software- but those are the ones I've used.
(09-09-2020, 10:33 AM)tophneal Wrote:
Quote:This is quite a different topic and sorry, I do not have fun when promises are not met and people in power try to hide.

I think it's worth noting, in regards to this, that Luke is a volunteer.

He is? I never would have guessed!

That said, I’ve bought both Braveheart and PMOS CE devices and I don’t regret a second of it. Can I use them as daily drivers yet? No. But they are damn close and I’m researching what needs to be done to get them there FOR ME in terms of software and configuration.

In terms of hardware, I couldn’t be happier! I’m no low-level developer, btw, but I am a fairly capable Linux user. This is not an easy device for anyone inexperienced with Linux but the folks here are patient. The trade off is you have to be patient too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(09-09-2020, 09:22 AM)Luke Wrote:
Quote:I expect tillim (Founder) and Luke (Community manager) to give some explications and to show how we can easily get a corrected and easily installable firmware fulfilling the promise given when selling.

And how do you expect us to do it if we cannot write a line of code? Wink We have nothing to do with software, hence: postmarketOS Community Edition. 

Also I stand by what I initially wrote - all the listed features work. Whether they work on your carrier and your OS choice is a whole different story.
I suggest you do some digging on the software status of individual OSes, consider trying out a few different choices, talking to developers directly, etc. and seeing what works out best for you. Have fun.
Luke, I am still waiting for your reply. 
And maybe you can at the same time explain why my previous account "LinAdmin" is locked?
Quote:This is quite a different topic and sorry, I do not have fun when promises are not met and people in power try to hide.

Interesting to hear. Can you please elaborate?
Do you have any knowledge who is representing pine64.org in this forum?
(09-12-2020, 08:45 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:
Quote:I expect tillim (Founder) and Luke (Community manager) to give some explications and to show how we can easily get a corrected and easily installable firmware fulfilling the promise given when selling.

And how do you expect us to do it if we cannot write a line of code? Wink We have nothing to do with software, hence: postmarketOS Community Edition. 

Also I stand by what I initially wrote - all the listed features work. Whether they work on your carrier and your OS choice is a whole different story.
I suggest you do some digging on the software status of individual OSes, consider trying out a few different choices, talking to developers directly, etc. and seeing what works out best for you. Have fun.
And maybe you can at the same time explain why my previous account "LinAdmin" is locked?

I just checked on your previous account -- it is not locked or banned in any way that I can see.

The OS image provided by default on the pmOS phones (or any of the others) unfortunately can be somewhat out of date due to production line logistics. There can also be regressions in functionality at times due to the rapid pace of development. If you want the latest, then follow the instructions for pmOS (or any other OS) over here, and install instructions here.

(09-12-2020, 08:47 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:

Pine64 is largely a community effort. In terms of who represents it here, that'd be Luke first and then me second. There's also TL (tllim) who is the founder and also handles the business operations (Pine Store).
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(09-12-2020, 09:15 AM)fire219 Wrote:

I just checked on your previous account -- it is not locked or banned in any way that I can see.

The OS image provided by default on the pmOS phones (or any of the others) unfortunately can be somewhat out of date due to production line logistics. There can also be regressions in functionality at times due to the rapid pace of development. If you want the latest, then follow the instructions for pmOS (or any other OS) over here, and install instructions here.

(09-12-2020, 08:47 AM)LinAdmin2 Wrote:

Pine64 is largely a community effort. In terms of who represents it here, that'd be Luke first and then me second. There's also TL (tllim) who is the founder and also handles the business operations (Pine Store).
Tanks fire for your reply which sounds reasonable.
May I suggest that for future sales the shop page describing the product prominently shows a disclaimer reflecting that the only warranty for the software is that it uses some storage in the flash memory Big Grin .

@sundog, @deedend, @Potts, @ThrilGates, @patrickmollohan

Your downvotings of my texts lack convincing statements of grounds.
I am quite sure you won't believe me, so go and ask a lawyer!

Are you using ba VPN? My account showed as banned or locked until I switched VPN servers...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
(09-09-2020, 08:54 AM)Veraendert Wrote: You forgot to quote the rest of the sentence: "the device cannot be considered as a consumer-ready product."

Yep. I understand politeness and what not but there are some people (OP included as I provided threads for every issue he bought up in a different thread....including some fixes) that make threads about well known, documented issues.

So clearly there is a disconnect with some user ability to search and research.

Such "early adopters," demonstrate the attitude OP does and tend to be unhappy with the device they bought, despite its capabilities being known and published.

This concerns me because I want pinephone to continue to grow and improve. That can't happen with unhappy customers that did zero research, and have wild expectations hurting sales with bad reviews.... Despite being told exactly what they are getting into at this point.

I have also seen many questions that could have been answered had the OP even looked at the literally titled and sticky "Important" threads.
How amusing.

Linadmin provided positive rep because I provided him all of the threads he clearly didn't search for in his help thread.

Now he gave me a negative rep for pointing out these are well known and published issues that he didn't bother to research.