Pin64.org looks to have been much too optimistic
Before ordering PinePhone PMos edition, I studied this forum and the details of the ordering page. There Pine64.org wrote:

Quote:" ... while core functionality of the PinePhone – such as telephone calls, SMS messages, LTE, GPS, GPU acceleration, etc. – is operational ..."

I am well aware that this is not a final product ready for everyday consumers and am also prepared to do some tinkering.

However, as several recent posts in this forum show, the basic function of telephone calls, SMS messages, GPS and input of passwords are not correctly working and need quite some fumbling.

I expect tillim (Founder) and Luke (Community manager) to give some explications and to show how we can easily get a corrected and easily installable firmware fulfilling the promise given when selling.
You forgot to quote the rest of the sentence: "the device cannot be considered as a consumer-ready product."
Hardware & firmware do work, however "the core purpose of this campaign is to provide hardware capable of running mainline Linux to members of the community so that postmarketOS developers can benefit from feedback and code contributions to their project."
This is not a finished product nor does Pine64 claim that it was. This is an ongoing effort to provide the hardware to run mainline Linux on, however the OS is not provided by Pine64. There are some regressions in some operating systems, some work better than others. This being a phone capable of running (near-)mainline Linux, anything can be fixed, at least in theory, albeit not by Pine64.
Quote:I expect tillim (Founder) and Luke (Community manager) to give some explications and to show how we can easily get a corrected and easily installable firmware fulfilling the promise given when selling.

And how do you expect us to do it if we cannot write a line of code? Wink We have nothing to do with software, hence: postmarketOS Community Edition. 

Also I stand by what I initially wrote - all the listed features work. Whether they work on your carrier and your OS choice is a whole different story.
I suggest you do some digging on the software status of individual OSes, consider trying out a few different choices, talking to developers directly, etc. and seeing what works out best for you. Have fun.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-09-2020, 08:54 AM)Veraendert Wrote: You forgot to quote the rest of the sentence: "the device cannot be considered as a consumer-ready product."
Hardware & firmware do work, however "the core purpose of this campaign is to provide hardware capable of running mainline Linux to members of the community so that postmarketOS developers can benefit from feedback and code contributions to their project."
There are some regressions in some operating systems, some work better than others. This being a phone capable of running (near-)mainline Linux, anything can be fixed, at least in theory, albeit not by Pine64.
I did not forget to quote that part of the text, but summarized it.
Quote:This is not a finished product nor does Pine64 claim that it was.
I did not expect that and did not request it in my original posting.
Anyway: Relax, enjoy the ride and watch as the operating systems keep getting better.
Even better, participate in the efforts to make it work. This is the point of open-source. We can all contribute, on any level, at any capacity.
(09-09-2020, 09:22 AM)Luke Wrote:
Quote:I expect tillim (Founder) and Luke (Community manager) to give some explications and to show how we can easily get a corrected and easily installable firmware fulfilling the promise given when selling.
And how do you expect us to do it if we cannot write a line of code? Wink We have nothing to do with software, hence: postmarketOS Community Edition.
Luke, please carefully read what I wrote and then tell me, by what wording you felt that I was expecting pine64.org to write code?

And honestly: What I expected was that pine64.org made sure that the properties advertised do correctly work, either by testing themselves or by a reliable independent tester.
Quote:Also I stand by what I initially wrote - all the listed features work. Whether they work on your carrier and your OS choice is a whole different story.
Luke, please do not try to bring up lame excuses. The described problem of sound not working does NOT depend on carrier. And my well funded complaints refer to the OS pine64.org delivered!
Quote:I suggest you do some digging on the software status of individual OSes, consider trying out a few different choices, talking to developers directly, etc. and seeing what works out best for you. Have fun.
This is quite a different topic and sorry, I do not have fun when promises are not met and people in power try to hide.
(09-09-2020, 07:15 AM)LinAdmin Wrote: Before ordering PinePhone PMos edition, I studied this forum and the details of the ordering page. There Pine64.org wrote:

Quote:" ... while core functionality of the PinePhone – such as telephone calls, SMS messages, LTE, GPS, GPU acceleration, etc. – is operational ..."

I am well aware that this is not a final product ready for everyday consumers and am also prepared to do some tinkering.

However, as several recent posts in this forum show, the basic function of telephone calls, SMS messages, GPS and input of passwords are not correctly working and need quite some fumbling.

I expect tillim (Founder) and Luke (Community manager) to give some explications and to show how we can easily get a corrected and easily installable firmware fulfilling the promise given when selling.

All of these things worked for me out of the box on PMOS, UBports, and Mobian. Some config required, but no fumbling around here. Pine was very clear about the state of these devices and I for one was pleasantly surprised by how functional and polished some of these distros are.

The tone of your post is rude and reeks of entitlement. Don't expect much help with this kind of attitude.
(09-09-2020, 10:19 AM)ThrillGates Wrote: The tone of your post rude and reeks of entitlement. Don't expect much help with this kind of attitude.

This is a much nicer way to say this than what was coming to my mind.
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)
Quote:This is quite a different topic and sorry, I do not have fun when promises are not met and people in power try to hide.

I think it's worth noting, in regards to this, that Luke is a volunteer.