AutoDiaer
I know this was just released and is a work in progress, but I am wondering, if after a lot of work, could this be used as a basis for a watered down Medical Alert?
I define my ideal system as a wearable device with a button to mash, maybe wifi. The pinephone is powered up and always on (wall power), used as a base station. The alert signal from the bracelet or lanyard goes to the pinephone, activates an app, the app dials a predetermined number and sends a predetermined sms text message. "Jane Doe has activated her alert-system and want you to come check on her". It would have nothing to do with 9-11 and wouldn't need a monthly subscription fee (except for the phone service).
Seems like creating the wearable device is the real hurdle. (knowing a lot of software work is needed too)
Would the pinephone hardware be capable? And your thoughts about such a project at this time?
Checkout the PineTime [1]. Usually these kinds of wearable are a necklace or something - but I think a watch could potentially be very good for this application.

The reasons I think it's better:

1. An older person would identify more with a watch than a phone, if they were to mentally "regress" I think it's more likely they would keep the watch with them.
2. It serves a purpose other than monitoring a person (tells the time, etc).
3. Gives some information like heart-rate that could be used to remotely gather an idea of their medical condition (it's not accurate enough to be definitive, but possibly accurate enough to be informative).
4. The battery lasts much longer.
5. It could connect to several different devices around the environment with bluetooth capability.

Once the watch software is a little more mature, this kind of application is feasible - but the team there really needs as much help as it can get (it's entirely community driven at this point).

[1] https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=PineTime