First impressions
thanks for the kyboard backlight hint - strangely: initially the backlight did not work with pine key and right control but after trying many other key combinations it started to work suddenly wih pine key plus right control - lets hope it stays like that Smile
(09-09-2020, 04:48 AM)hexdump Wrote: thanks for the kyboard backlight hint - strangely: initially the backlight did not work with pine key and right control but after trying many other key combinations it started to work suddenly wih pine key plus right control - lets hope it stays like that Smile
Must say it is nice
Thanks for the heads up on the screen protector

Used UBports for a while - there is a thread here on the Pinetab that here: PineTab | UBports Forum

Interesting to see how people are finding the same issues.

How for instance did you get it to boot Manjaro or another OS from an sd card for instance?
How do you install Manjaro, Mobian, etc on the internal eMMC? I really want to get rid of UBports as soon I can. Hopefully there will be a working Manjaro with working audio and camera soon. Installing on microSD cards isn't an option, as they are very unreliable.

Canonical dumped Ubuntu Touch for some reason. So, I do not want to waste my time with Canonical's abandoned leftovers. 
Sorry for the harsh words. I was fully aware that the PineTab needs a lot of tinkering. I knew that me and UBports
wouldn't become friends. I couldn't imagine how limited UBports is, however. 

I love the PineTab's hardware. Excellent work, Pine64! Really excellent. However, the software is worse than expected.
Please don't get me wrong: I am happy with my PineTab. I got what I paid for.
(09-09-2020, 06:04 AM)Ktaadn Wrote: How do you install Manjaro, Mobian, etc on the internal eMMC?

Use "jumpdrive", you can search the forum or wiki how to do. Maybe the "command mode" of UT will work also, but I'm not sure. I tried Mobian but the tilted screen was a no go for me. I'm sure, as soon as the Mobian team gets its devices, it will jump forward fast.

(09-09-2020, 06:04 AM)Ktaadn Wrote: However, the software is worse than expected..

Agree
(09-09-2020, 06:30 AM)guenther Wrote: Use "jumpdrive", you can search the forum or wiki how to do. Maybe the "command mode" of UT will work also, but I'm not sure. I tried Mobian but the tilted screen was a no go for me. I'm sure, as soon as the Mobian team gets its devices, it will jump forward fast.

Thanks so much! That is what I was looking for! I will try jumpdrive later this evening.
Will jumpdrive also work on the Pinetab then?
(09-09-2020, 07:56 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: Will jumpdrive also work on the Pinetab then?

I hope so. The hardware is almost identical.
Check out earlier reports of no sound through the headphones
Think I have found the issue.
Tested the Uart/Headphone switch (next to SC Card slot) - nothing (and it is so bleedin small!) and so switched it back
Ran sudo alsamixer in a terminal and noted Headphones straightaway were set to Mute!
Hit tab to get to the Headphone bar - Hit M to Unmute and bingo !
Now have sound through headphones
Another bug for me gone

(09-09-2020, 08:03 AM)Ktaadn Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 07:56 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: Will jumpdrive also work on the Pinetab then?

I hope so. The hardware is almost identical.
Well - here you go.
Checked out and there is already a Pinetab image here

https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju...tab.img.xz
(09-09-2020, 08:06 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: Check out earlier reports of no sound through the headphones
Tested the Uart/Headphone switch (next to SC Card slot) - nothing (and it is so bleedin small!) and so switched it back
Ran sudo alsamixer in a terminal and noted Headphones straightaway were set to Mute!
Another bug for me gone

Thank you, good find! Unfortunately I can't make the settings permanent, tried:

Code:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo alsactl store
sudo reboot

But after reboot still mute!

UT   Undecided
(09-09-2020, 09:27 AM)guenther Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 08:06 AM)andybleaden@gmail.com Wrote: Check out earlier reports of no sound through the headphones
Another bug for me gone

Thank you, good find! Unfortunately I can't make the settings permanent, tried:

Code:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo alsactl store
sudo reboot

But after reboot still mute!

UT   Undecided

You are right...I guess I had not rebooted yet. Hmm a very temporary fix then!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Initial Impressions dachalife 6 1,884 06-09-2023, 11:48 AM
Last Post: dachalife
  Pinetab2 - First impressions Surehand53 6 5,114 06-07-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: zer0sig