My Pinebook Pro.
I was initially displeased with my Pinebook Pro in the first weeks of ownership. I can now say overall I like the little computer. Manjaro has provided  at least 4 meaningful updates that I could install thru my package manager. Every update made the computer more stable. I really appreciate that. When I sleep the machine it is dead within 8 hours if it is not plugged in. That is what was expected so that is OK. Peace everyone.
I got my PBP last week and haven't done a whole lot (just updated Manjaro and installed a few pieces of software to make it more usaebl as I do on every Linux system), I think on Thursday or Friday night, I made sure it indicated 100% and left it unplugged. I used it for a few hours, not benchmarking or purposely pushing it hard, but general browsing, IRC, youtube, etc.

It stayed up for 10 hours. That is seriously impressive.

I have to say, it took a surprisingly long time to charge though. Not quite as long as 10 hours but it must have been several. I think I was pushing it a bit harder, but the battery indicator was showing that it was running down while charging. Going to have to see if there are any tricks to speeing up the charge, preferably without harming the excellent runtime on a charge.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(09-04-2020, 08:04 PM)Nobot Wrote: I was initially displeased with my Pinebook Pro in the first weeks of ownership. I can now say overall I like the little computer. Manjaro has provided  at least 4 meaningful updates that I could install thru my package manager. Every update made the computer more stable. I really appreciate that. When I sleep the machine it is dead within 8 hours if it is not plugged in. That is what was expected so that is OK. Peace everyone.

Hey, I'm glad to hear that you like it a bit more now. I have only had mine for a couple weeks, BUT I totally dig it - that could be because of where Manjaro was on the release/update phase when I got it...

But, I am also very much into single board ARM computers, so I know exactly what they can and cannot do - and how finnicky they can be. I, also, have noticed the battery issue on sleep mode. You mentioned that you knew this was a thing... what 'thing' is it? I wasn't aware of an open issue and certainly would like to read about it if I can. Thanks for bringing it up - as I just thought that my power settings needed working with.

I really hope Manjaro keeps getting better, its great that they've released a version for the PBP. Thats really badass... I can only hope for a great Ubuntu flavor, as thats what I prefer. My favorite is a KDE Ubuntu... Kubuntu is my favfav; but I'd take anything I can get. Even thinking about Elementary but... .eh.

Glad the PBP is growing on you; I've found the PBP to be great as a laptop for working on and with my other ARM singleboard computer projects. It's nice to have a laptop with the same architecture thats nice and solid for those times when I need something compatible to run a program or this and that when working with other projects. For me, the PBP is a keeper.

(09-21-2020, 04:53 PM)zer0sig Wrote: I got my PBP last week and haven't done a whole lot (just updated Manjaro and installed a few pieces of software to make it more usaebl as I do on every Linux system), I think on Thursday or Friday night, I made sure it indicated 100% and left it unplugged. I used it for a few hours, not benchmarking or purposely pushing it hard, but general browsing, IRC, youtube, etc.

It stayed up for 10 hours. That is seriously impressive.

I have to say, it took a surprisingly long time to charge though. Not quite as long as 10 hours but it must have been several. I think I was pushing it a bit harder, but the battery indicator was showing that it was running down while charging. Going to have to see if there are any tricks to speeing up the charge, preferably without harming the excellent runtime on a charge.

Not 100% sure, but I think the OP was talking about an issue with when you put the PBP to sleep on a full battery. I've noticed it too, but just thought I needed to tweak the power settings. However, OP mentioned that it was a 'thing' with PBP. Anyway, you can test it out... if you put the PBP to sleep, by like closing the lid (on factory settings) or selecting 'sleep' as the Leave option; it will be dead in the morning. Other laptops of mine, even 10+ year old x86 Thinkpad laptops, can stay in sleep mode for the better part of a week...

There is an issue with sleep mode... so, I just haven't been using it. No biggy. When you NEED a sleep mode, say if you're working with the laptop and walk away for an hour, it works... it comes back to life just as quickly as it should. The matter is that the battery seems to deplete much too fast for being in that low-power sleep mode. I asked, and hope the OP posts more info about it; as they stated it was a known issue...

I guess we'll see if they respond with any details. Glad you dig your PBP - I also love it.
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
If you do a bit of searching on forum, there is lots on sleep
With the right kernel and ATF, sleeping only, it is ~7%/day
Personal experience, manjaro, fedora 32, elementry work
xmixahlx says his patched debian also does this
In dmesg, it will be called suspend 3
(09-21-2020, 08:11 PM)Paulie420 Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 08:04 PM)Not 100% sure, but I think the OP was talking about an issue with when you put the PBP to sleep on a full battery. I\ve noticed it too, but just thought I needed to tweak the power settings. However, OP mentioned that it was a 'thing' with PBP. Anyway, you can test it out... if you put the PBP to sleep, by like closing the lid (on factory settings) or selecting 'sleep' as the Leave option; it will be dead in the morning. Other laptops of mine, even 10+ year old x86 Thinkpad laptops, can stay in sleep mode for the better part of a week... There is an issue with sleep mode... so, I just haven't been using it. No biggy. When you NEED a sleep mode, say if you're working with the laptop and walk away for an hour, it works... it comes back to life just as quickly as it should. The matter is that the battery seems to deplete much too fast for being in that low-power sleep mode. I asked, and hope the OP posts more info about it; as they stated it was a known issue... Wrote: I guess we'll see if they respond with any details. Glad you dig your PBP - I also love it.

Oh, I guess I forgot to comment on that. Yeah, the sleep mode is NOT sleeping, from what I can tell. I think my PBP ran out of battery at close to the same time as while running. that said, I haven't dug in much and there are posts about it, so I will mess with it soon and hopefully get it straight. If there's a solution on this forum that doesn't require soldering (just because my soldering iron is out of state and I'm waiting for a Pinecil), I'll definitely look into it. This used to be a very common problem with most Linux/FreeBSD notebooks - much less common now but there are always exceptions. I'd think it normal for a new hardware platform that mostly doesn't use sleep mode (I'd put most if not all ARM SBCs in that group) to have small things like that to work out. If I wanted a big label machine, I'd buy it (and have - the idea of a more open Linux machine that is reasonably good for regular use really piques my interest).

Thanks, wdt - will look into the sleep posts. I glanced at them previously but didn't have a PBP to do it with.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
I have tested more than a dozen distros, one of the things I AWAYS test is sleep
(because, makes running from SD feasible, waking up is quite quick)
ONLY 3, as mentioned above and xmix's patched kernel
You do have to edit sleep.conf even though mem is 1st item, shouldn't have to
(and with wrong ATF, won't work, mostly I use mrfixit's uboot (updated))
And,, lots of lids have the magnet in wrong place, sleep will work, but wakes with lid closed
That is, sleeps when lid is almost closed, when lid fully closed, wakes
(09-23-2020, 06:38 PM)wdt Wrote: I have tested more than a dozen distros, one of the things I AWAYS test is sleep
(because, makes running from SD feasible, waking up is quite quick)
ONLY 3, as mentioned above and xmix's patched kernel
You do have to edit sleep.conf even though mem is 1st item, shouldn't have to

Wait, well... my first reply to all the new ones was going to say that it was probably an issue within Manjaro, and they are being very good about continuing development for the PBP so hopefully the Manjaro team will get around to attempting to fix the issue.
However, if its a hardware thing... that maybe the sleep issue showing up on more than 1 or 2 distros could lean towards - like the PBP just isn't going into sleep mode at ALL, maybe theres a way we can iron out a fix by working on getting the PBP to actually sleep.

However, wdt, are you saying or suggesting that by editing .conf files and.... kernel work fixes the sleep issue? The last poster that said maybe the PBP just isn't sleeping at all seems like it might be right. I have noticed during the limited times I've tried sleep - I now just shutdown fully - but I've noticed maybe some small graphical glitches going on when I 'wake up' the machine. So... hmmmmm.

But have you found a work around thru edits? If so can you expand on that for us green horns. Tongue
-----
 pAULIE42o
.  .  .  .   .  . .
/s
I cannot give advice for manjaro xfce, don't know setting app
edit /etc/systemd/sleep.conf
add line,,, SuspendState=mem
systemsetting5 ->power managment ->button events handling (checked)-> when lid closed,, Do nothing
-> when pwr button pressed ,, prompt log out dialog
Enter/ leave sleep with pwr button, works great (enter sleep = pwr (2s pause), right arrow,enter)
And, BTW, manjaro's uboot seems to work OK too, well I have 19.10 version still
(emmc uboot area zero-ed out, using SD uboot)
I am really VERY cautious about "strange" uboots, too many hard lock-ups
trying to keep my pbp "virgin", as much as I'd like serial (back NEVER off)

--edit-- the hardware thing,, the magnet is in wrong place, needs to be moved (down I think, not sure)
xmix's kernel matches the 3 mentioned, manjaro, fedora,elementary, these are patched mainline
Don't use mainline at this time
I don't use "sleep" but my magnet is in the wrong place. I suspect they all are. I believe it's worthwhile to fix this, it should be easy enough. There is a thread here documenting how to do this.
I'll have to look into that. I thought my PBP was only partially sleeping, but I just realized that it stayed powered up for the last couple of days as it kept an IRC connection open. So it looks like it's not doing anything when I close the lid. I will check out the magnet location bit, though, thanks!
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone BE & Pinebook Pro shipping update thread Luke 136 164,831 06-04-2021, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Next round of Pinebook Pro pre-orders Luke 10 22,223 12-19-2020, 07:58 AM
Last Post: fwav
Information August/ September Pinebook Pro, PineTab and PinePhone shipping thread Luke 256 371,145 10-27-2020, 11:14 AM
  Pine Store: ANSI Pinebook Pro Available bcnaz 2 4,919 08-30-2020, 02:56 PM
  Pinebook Pro & PinePhone shipping progress (2020) Luke 659 893,250 08-07-2020, 05:38 AM
Heart Pinebook Pro ANSI preordering KC9UDX 2 4,850 07-21-2020, 04:00 PM
  Pinebook Pro pre-order ANSI & ISO now live Luke 19 28,201 04-30-2020, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Surehand53
  November Blog Update -- PinePhone Braveheart, Pinebook Pros, and a giant Pine Cluster fire219 10 19,377 11-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Last Post: billydun
Information More Pinebook Pro pre-oders now available Luke 11 19,065 11-04-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pinebook Pro subforum is now live! fire219 41 53,031 11-03-2019, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Greendan