How do I charge my PinePhone safely?
(09-06-2020, 03:32 AM)SwordfishII Wrote: Yep. Should work fine.

My pinephone shipped to my mailing address in the US. Once it gets to me I will test both QC and PD chargers as I have both on hand, to see if the pinephone provides fast charging to either.

I would guess PD would while QC won't.

Yes, that would be interesting. Since i dig deeper into the topic, it's really confusing with all the standards.

from the AXP803 datasheet
Quote:.) AXP803 comes with an adaptive USB3.0-compatible Flash Charger that supports up to 2.8A...

.)A charger insertion is detected from a rising voltage on the ACIN/VBUS node. If 4.1V< ACIN/VBUS < 7.0V, the charger will start charging immediately and
autonomously.

Therefore it seems, it only supports 5V Modes, either "USB Type C 5V/3A" (what I would guess) or "USB PD 5V/2A". But who knows...

I wonder what my PineTab will do with it's barrel/micro USB connectors? :-)
USB charging is a spec, so it shouldn't matter what type of base you use, so long as the output exceeds what's required to overcome the battery drain
(09-05-2020, 11:45 AM)bitnick Wrote: I have an 18 W PD3.0 USB-C charger on order. It will be interesting to see what the Pinephone does when hooked up to that charger.
I *finally* got my new USB-C PD 3.0 charger (5/9/12/15 V, 3 A, 18 W) and USB-C-to-USB-C charging cable today. Yay! I started the "Powersupply" app that comes with Mobian, disconnected my old USB 500 mA charger and connected the new one. And... nothing. The charger is not detected; Powersupply shows charger as "Not connected".

Hmm. So let's try powering the phone off and then connecting the charger. Result: the phone powers on! But, the charger is still not detected when Mobian has booted.

This is with a UBports CE Pinephone running Mobian. The charger is a Deltaco USBC-AC130 and the cable is an Otterbox 78-52671.

Now my problem is that the Pinephone, the new charger and the new cable are the only USB-C products I own, so it's rather difficult to know where the problem lies. Since the phone starts when the charger is connected I'm guessing the cable is okay, and the charger cannot be completely dead, at least.

Has anyone else tried to charge the Pinephone with a USB-C PD charger? Did it work?

I got charging to work at 7.5 W (USB Battery Charging standard 1.1?) by disabling the ANX7688 chip as described here.
usb charging starts with the devices sending signals down different wires to negotiate a highest compatible charging rate. most phones only support 5v and vary the amperage. thats the usb spec. some manufacturers raise the voltage but that diverges from the usb spec so they give it some branded name like fastcharge technology or whatever corporate buzz sounds good to them.

your charger supports only 3A and varies the voltage so if it fails to negotiate a charging rate the first time according to spec it fails
I am using a Anker Power Port Lite 2 Wall charger https://www.anker.com/es/products/variant/PowerPort-Lite-2-Ports/A2022321 which is rated for 5V and 2.4Amp and the phone recognises the charger and negotiates 1.5Amp charge current and as Info it shows USB Type-C revision: 1.2, PD revision: 2, Power role: sink, Data role: Device and Operation mode: default.

Only one thing to note, do not leave the phone unattended whilst charging as it gets warm, but not more than other phones on the market.
Megous describes the operation of the USB-C bridge chip and its interaction with different types of USB chargers:
https://xnux.eu/devices/feature/anx7688.html
The short version is that 'dumb' chargers should work reliably, and that Battery Charging 1.2 spec chargers (5V, 2.1A) are a good bet. PD chargers are more hit-and-miss, and fall back to 0.5A under various circumstances. PD should get quite reliable once the various OS versions include the necessary firmware and driver parts, but we aren't there yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  various tricks to open the pinephone shengchieh 2 526 03-23-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Ferriah
  pinephone can provide more than 500mA to a usb-c displayport device? unrznbl 2 162 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Last Post: unrznbl
  my pinephone melted norayr 2 415 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 368 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,452 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
  Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone? LinAdmin2 53 53,776 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: robin.com.au
  PinePhone Pro not booting (Cap error!, pctl timeout) jealda 2 1,204 11-16-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinephone frame damages Uturn 2 786 10-23-2023, 02:49 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  PinePhone Keyboard KJ6OHG 11 7,621 08-23-2023, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Kali
  PinePhone constantly vibrating and won't take charge ImmyChan 5 5,202 07-23-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: kb-zealot