Incorrect Passphrase!
Hey guys, just wanted to say that flashing an SD card with the pmbootstrap utility works perfectly. PinePhone will prioritize booting from your inserted SD card rather than the internal memory and then you can get past the password prompt.

pmbootstrap actually warns you about how the Phosh and Plasma Mobile environments require a password with numbers only. It's a bit unfortunate that the PostmarketOS installer on the PinePhone didn't warn about this while you are choosing your disk encryption password (to be fair they were crystal clear with the PIN number).

You can install pmbootstrap either with pip3 or from your distro's package manager (e.g. Arch had it in the AUR). Then:
  1. Run "pmbootstrap init", select pine64 + pinephone, set your desktop environment, user account, etc.
  2. Run "pmbootstrap install --sdcard=/dev/sdx" ("sdx" replaced with the location of your SD card).
  3. After it's completed, run "pmbootstrap shutdown" to perform any necessary clean-up.
  4. Insert the SD card into your phone and boot into your new PostmarketOS.

Phone is working great now, running Plasma Mobile and it's beautiful. Big Grin Good luck everyone!
The wiki informs about this, too: https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=...stmarketOS
But then this not being an Android phone, just either install again to SD and run from there or use jumpdrive as already stated.
(09-01-2020, 10:07 PM)mystical Wrote: Hey guys, just wanted to say that flashing an SD card with the pmbootstrap utility works perfectly. PinePhone will prioritize booting from your inserted SD card rather than the internal memory and then you can get past the password prompt.

pmbootstrap actually warns you about how the Phosh and Plasma Mobile environments require a password with numbers only. It's a bit unfortunate that the PostmarketOS installer on the PinePhone didn't warn about this while you are choosing your disk encryption password (to be fair they were crystal clear with the PIN number).

You can install pmbootstrap either with pip3 or from your distro's package manager (e.g. Arch had it in the AUR). Then:
  1. Run "pmbootstrap init", select pine64 + pinephone, set your desktop environment, user account, etc.
  2. Run "pmbootstrap install --sdcard=/dev/sdx" ("sdx" replaced with the location of your SD card).
  3. After it's completed, run "pmbootstrap shutdown" to perform any necessary clean-up.

Phone is working great now, running Plasma Mobile and it's beautiful. Big Grin Good luck everyone!
Nice write-up; thanks for sharing...

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
(09-01-2020, 10:07 PM)mystical Wrote: Hey guys, just wanted to say that flashing an SD card with the pmbootstrap utility works perfectly. PinePhone will prioritize booting from your inserted SD card rather than the internal memory and then you can get past the password prompt.

I'm extremely new to this so please excuse my questions is they seem somewhat stupid. Do you know of a link or a very beginner friend;y tutorial on installing pmbootstrap ? I'll do my searching but I figured I'd ask anyway. Also, with this method does it mean the phone will only run / work with a SD card from here on out ? Also, which SD do you think would be the best to use with the phone ?
Thanks
(09-02-2020, 06:46 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: Also, which SD do you think would be the best to use with the phone ?
Use one with good "random 4k IOPS" performance. Looking at tests here and here I'd say SanDisk SDSQXAF-032G-GN6MA ("Extreme 100MB/s UHS-I U3 V30 A1 32GB") is a good bet. I've bought a couple for my PinePhone and they seem to work fine.
(09-02-2020, 06:46 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: I'm extremely new to this so please excuse my questions is they seem somewhat stupid. Do you know of a link or a very beginner friend;y tutorial on installing pmbootstrap ?
No worries I'm new to this as well and still figuring things out. Smile

Installing pmbootstrap is easy; simply run "pip3 install pmbootstrap" in your terminal. If you don't have pip3 installed, follow this: https://opensource.com/article/20/3/pip-...ac-windows
(09-02-2020, 06:46 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: Also, with this method does it mean the phone will only run / work with a SD card from here on out ?
Yeah it's just a temporary workaround to get the phone working (and try out different desktops/OSs), but ideally in the long-term you would install the OS back to the internal eMMC.

This page explains how to install PostmarketOS to the internal eMMC; it uses a program called Jumpdrive that's flashed to the SD card. https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/PINE6...stallation
(09-02-2020, 06:46 AM)NobodyNew1 Wrote: Also, which SD do you think would be the best to use with the phone ?
Thanks
To be honest I'm not sure what the best card to use with the phone is, but two important things: it needs to be MicroSD size and it needs to either be SDHC or SDXC.

Personally I'm using a SanDisk Ultra MicroSDXC, it was only $20 for 200GB and works perfectly fine with the PinePhone. But you may want to do your research on this one to find a better deal or option.

EDIT: bitnick's post is great, you should get the one that he recommends (or something else high on the benchmarks like the Samsung Evo+).
This is what I got from the PostmarketOS Reddit sub :

The keyboard used for entering the disk encryption after booting is different (custom) from the one used to set up the encryption yes. The keys don't popup as that's not something that's implemented, don't worry about it.
You're supposed to see dots appear in your screen for every character you type. If you don't, something is wrong. If you do, you're probably just typing something different than you've setup.
No worries though, you can reinstall, although it does involve a bit of manual work. First download the latest Jumpdrive release (0.6 alpha) from here and write it to an sdcard using any tool (dd, etcher, everything should work). Put the sdcard into your phone and reboot, it should now boot Jumpdrive rather than the pmOS system.
Then plug your phone into your PC using the provided USB-C cable, the internal storage of the device (eMMC) should now appear as a mass storage device on your computer. Download an image from https://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone, you'll probably want
Code:
pine64-pinephone-20200726-phosh-v20.05-installer.img.xz
and write it to the internal storage of the phone using dd or Etcher again.
Then turn off your phone, take out the sdcard, and turn it back on. You'll be greeted by the installer again you saw on the first boot of your phone and can setup a new encryption password.
Here - https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Ju.../0.6-alpha
PostMarketOS Image - http://images.postmarketos.org/pinephone/

I'm attempting this now, so . . . . . we will see with my limited skill lvl.
(09-01-2020, 07:41 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 12:38 PM)TheosProta Wrote: Hello,

My PostmarketOS edition Pinephone arrived today and I was elated to have it up and running, I followed the instructions and successfully booted into the lockscreen with what looked to be a password bar, I enter in my Password and I get "incorrect passphrase", forgive me if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't passphrase be the same password I chose during setup? Or is it due to some kind of basic boot password like "147147" (which didn't work either). Thank you for your time!

to clarify, I do have encryption enabled but SSH is disabled.

LOL !! I just posted and saw yours. I'm in the same boat my friend. I just got my phone today, but in a normal password and tried 15-20 times and getting the same thing, incorrect password. And I'm EXTREMELY new to Linux in general. I'm sure more will follow with the same problem.
Glad to know i'm not alone just so we can find a resolution to this issue haha
Me too!  Looking for answers, but at least I'm not the only one.  I tried my screen unlock PIN, my SSH password, my disk encryption password...nothing works.
(09-02-2020, 06:11 PM)TheosProta Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 07:41 PM)NobodyNew1 Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 12:38 PM)TheosProta Wrote: Hello,

My PostmarketOS edition Pinephone arrived today and I was elated to have it up and running, I followed the instructions and successfully booted into the lockscreen with what looked to be a password bar, I enter in my Password and I get "incorrect passphrase", forgive me if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't passphrase be the same password I chose during setup? Or is it due to some kind of basic boot password like "147147" (which didn't work either). Thank you for your time!

to clarify, I do have encryption enabled but SSH is disabled.

LOL !! I just posted and saw yours. I'm in the same boat my friend. I just got my phone today, but in a normal password and tried 15-20 times and getting the same thing, incorrect password. And I'm EXTREMELY new to Linux in general. I'm sure more will follow with the same problem.
Glad to know i'm not alone just so we can find a resolution to this issue haha

My previous post above, from u/PureTryOut on Reddit, works 1000000% I'm not looking at that black screen asking for my passphrase. I looking at this now. And I know really nothing about this. I put on 2 phone and the first phone someone basically told me what to do and the 2nd phone and current phone was a Moto G4 Play, which everyone says is a play toy to try things on.
So, with all that being said if I can do what's listed above and get the result than anyone can !!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Incorrect Passphrase - FIx | How To Reinstall Image. NobodyNew1 0 2,093 09-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Last Post: NobodyNew1