Irritating High frequency sound.
Ive noticed at least when running UB Touch on my pinephone it often, and randomly, starts emitting a very high pitch and annoying sound, probably around 18-22kHz since its barely audible, but loud (high dB) and very irritating nonetheless. Its the same sort of sound you get out of a bad electrolytic capacitor in a RLC circuit when the inductor is off phase or the electrolyte in the capacitor is boiling off.

It kicks in like a laptop fan, so im guessing its the effect of some program/s or subroutines either causing some oscillation in a component or random noise to the speakers or amp gain. Im hoping it is the speakers, so the hardware isnt under stress, but i still hate the sound. 

I know it's been reported by others, i was wondering if we knew the exact source, whether it could be addressed, and also whether it is OS specific.

=============
P.S. i know we're all used to electronic noise, idle speakers, old chargers especially. But for a phone you regularly hold close to your head or other body parts, we really should get it addressed and not just accept it.
(09-01-2020, 12:29 AM)Cree Wrote: Ive noticed at least when running UB Touch on my pinephone it often, and randomly, starts emitting a very high pitch and annoying sound, probably around 18-22kHz since its barely audible, but loud (high dB) and very irritating nonetheless. Its the same sort of sound you get out of a bad electrolytic capacitor in a RLC circuit when the inductor is off phase or the electrolyte in the capacitor is boiling off.

It kicks in like a laptop fan, so im guessing its the effect of some program/s or subroutines either causing some oscillation in a component or random noise to the speakers or amp gain. Im hoping it is the speakers, so the hardware isnt under stress, but i still hate the sound. 

I know it's been reported by others, i was wondering if we knew the exact source, whether it could be addressed, and also whether it is OS specific.

=============
P.S. i know we're all used to electronic noise, idle speakers, old chargers especially. But for a phone you regularly hold close to your head or other body parts, we really should get it addressed and not just accept it.

I can only add a +1 on this one,  I received the Pinephone PostmarkedOS version, and it's the first thing that I experienced.

High pitch sound and some white noise sound coming out from the back of the phone.

I can reproduce when I go in settings / sound settings.

And that high pitch sound stay there a few seconds even after I close the settings software
I have noticed it start when I plug my phone in to charge it on PostmarketOS

My simple solution was to set the audio output to the headphones option while charging.  The only way I have stopped the noise is to reboot my phone.
After installing Mobian on my pinephone postmarketos edition, I noticed the noise stopped. I know it may be a bit of a hassle, but the benifits of installing mobian definitly outweigh the downsides.
Something to bring to public attention in this matter is that as of this posting, Manjaro with LOMIRI does not seem to emit any such irritating sound. It is the only build im aware of so far that is nice and silent!
using pmOS sxmo and that sound is driving me crazy in my quiet room at night. i dont notice it in the daytime with the kids and such. its definitely from the speaker port, you can hear it quite audibly through the hole.

switching to earpiece instead of headset in pavucontrol stops it
I get it when initiating charging running Sailfish OS. It stops after a few seconds in my case.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bluetooth connection to car multimedia interface problems (no sound) zkajdan 0 1,031 10-29-2021, 01:34 AM
Last Post: zkajdan
  How to increase sound volume when headphone jack is in use? lacriz 1 1,791 10-16-2021, 02:38 AM
Last Post: lacriz
  Is there a sound card input on the Pinephone which can be used by Python software? Peter Gamma 5 6,837 06-24-2020, 06:08 AM
Last Post: wibble