Is there any way to tell CRUST to leave the wifi alone?
It would be wonderful if CRUST could be configured to leave both the cellular data and wifi networks alone if they are being used by an app when turning off the screen. Otherwise, that terrific podcast you're listening to about penguins just goes pfft! when your screen dims.

Does anyone have any hacks, scripts, bash files or magic which will allow this to happen until the devs get around to it? If you post one that works, I'll tell you everything you wanted to know about penguins.
Perhaps turn up the time on 'delay to suspend' ? ( on Mobian you can turn the delay up to 100 minutes )
I don't think that's possible with Crust. It's a whole separate chip on the board that handles stopping the CPU and most other components when it takes over. The hardware clock is basically all that keeps running, other than the Crust chip itself.

I think a possible solution might be to have a "sleep" option that just shuts the screen off, and then maybe scales the CPU frequency way down.
(08-28-2020, 04:02 PM)Athansor Wrote: It would be wonderful if CRUST could be configured to leave both the cellular data and wifi networks alone if they are being used by an app when turning off the screen. Otherwise, that terrific podcast you're listening to about penguins just goes pfft! when your screen dims.

Crust doesn't have any configuration options, and it already leaves the modem and wifi alone. Linux is what turns your wifi (and audio) off, long before it hands control over to Crust. The way you can tell Linux to not go to sleep is by using wakelocks (the same as used on Android), though I don't think the non-Android userspace support for wakelocks is very mature. If systemd-logind is what is telling Linux to go to sleep after a timeout, it has its own sleep inhibitor system:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/inhibit/
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/sys...hibit.html
I tried to use that CLI, and if I understand what it was telling me, Unity8 is already doing power management.

For those of us with XMPP communications, this is really bad, since it sounds like all processing except the special case of the modem chip are being turned off as soon as the screen darkens. Forbidding non-SMS texting (as well as listening to tunes in your earbuds!) seems pretty draconian.
They aren't forbidden, they just need to use the appropriate lock. Ideally the app will do this so that the lock is only taken when necessary - while actually playing media for example - otherwise with a wrapper such as systemd-inhibit. This of course has implications for battery life. I don't know if the hardware supports specific wake triggers for network traffic - say wake on incoming packet on port 22 - which could allow greater power saving.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Testing Crust Deep-sleep Luke 53 70,023 08-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Last Post: erikinkinen
  Any chance that we get WiFi texting/calling on UT? ragreenburg 0 2,067 08-04-2020, 09:13 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg
  wifi does not work - authentication problem? pphone-newbie 7 8,792 07-26-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Cree
  Crust stopping clock? Zweitaktmotor 3 4,488 07-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Last Post: tiago
  Cellular switch (sw1) causes wifi to stop working blihp 4 5,971 07-21-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: blihp
  5Ghz Wifi Question LMalilil 3 5,667 07-10-2020, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hiimtye
  How to disable wifi MAC address randomization? dr.diesel 0 2,355 06-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Last Post: dr.diesel
  Dev 27 killed my Wifi Concrete_panda 1 2,591 05-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Last Post: colin hodsdon
  Wifi problem drpi 23 28,804 03-26-2020, 02:14 AM
Last Post: m1n1s