Saving ALSA settings?
I'm running the Manjaro which shipped with my ANSI Pinebook Pro. Sound works fine BUT every time I reboot I must open a terminal, run alsamixer (which, I confess, I don't understand very well), hit F6, choose rockchip, es8316-codec, and increase the first "Headphone" meter (there are two! Why?) from 0 to (usually) 100 -- since it seems to increment only from 0->28->56->100. This setting usually serves me fine until shutdown. So I have two questions
  1. Is there any way to save this "Headphone" setting so I don't have to reset it each time? Alternatively, is there any config file I could edit with Vim to edit this setting (provided I can identify the proper setting name)?
  2. Is anyone aware of ALSA documentation readable by mere mortals where I can read up about how it works so I can figure out questions like this myself, in the future?
Thanks. My apologies if this issue is covered elsewhere in the forum. I searched but didn't find anything obviously relevant.
I experience the same issue and I have tried multiple things to solve it to no avail... I'll keep an eye on this thread Wink
Here you can find several solutions

https://askubuntu.com/questions/50067/ho...r-settings
I'm having the same problem. I created a alsa config file-after adding the headphone option- and a script to load the config. My issue now is trying to get the script to run on startup... I've tried adding it as a service and adding to the the start up menu. Nothing.

the alsa config was generated using

sudo alsactl --file /home/frofro/Desktop/foostore store

and the script to load it

#!/bin/bash

alsactl --file /home/frofro/Desktop/foostore restore

if I run my bash script from the command line, the audio fix work. I just can't get it to run on startup. I'll update if I get it working
(08-28-2020, 09:11 PM)--frofro Wrote: I'm having the same problem. I created a alsa config file-after adding the headphone option- and a script to load the config. My issue now is trying to get the script to run on startup... I've tried adding it as a service and adding to the the start up menu. Nothing.

the alsa config was generated using

sudo alsactl --file /home/frofro/Desktop/foostore store

and the script to load it

#!/bin/bash

alsactl --file /home/frofro/Desktop/foostore restore

if I run my bash script from the command line, the audio fix work. I just can't get it to run on startup. I'll update if I get it working
I'd gotten as far as using``sudo alsactl store`` (with ``alsamixer`` still open, after I'd made the change I needed) to save the settings to /var/lib/alsa/asound.state BUT... while changes were stored to that file they were not automatically picked up by alsa the next time I rebooted. I had to run ``sudo alsactl restore`` to actually get the changes to register with alsa again. This didn't seem to be much better than simply opening alsamixer and making the changes manually (perhaps with a startup script: ``konsole -e alsamixer``).

Maintaining a separate config file seems like a better solution, if it is possible to get it to work automatically, but it feels like there's something we're still missing.
see the postinstall script in pbp-tools and use nrestore instead.
I think the issue is getting the script to run on start-up. I tried nrestore with the alsa config file and it exhibits the same results as restore. Is there something we are missing?
dunno, i've never had this issue. on debian with the pbp-tools kernel you need alsa-utils, alsa-tools, and pulseaudio packages, then place the alsa state and run nrestore.

see the script for ideas?
https://github.com/xmixahlx/pbp-tools/bl...ostinstall
I may try Debian and see if the issue persists...

Thank for the help.
As a workaround you can place the restore line in /etc/profile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Graphical Glitch in Settings sciolus 4 5,162 03-12-2021, 08:23 AM
Last Post: sciolus
  Network settings, where to find the config files? hvdkooij 1 2,787 11-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: xyzzy
  How do I save my time settings? MrDitchy 9 9,543 01-17-2020, 09:48 PM
Last Post: MrDitchy
  how I "fixed" Chromium crashing on accessing settings richfm 7 8,155 12-17-2019, 04:35 AM
Last Post: andybleaden@gmail.com