Possible to upgrade PBP with NVMe M.2 1TB SSD from Sabrent?
Two Sabrent NVMe drives are listed in the PBP hardware compatibility listing - one has a note that the drive might be too power hungry and needs more testing but no follow-up notes have appeared. To go further to help @kkdao you need to tell us:

1. What is the part number for the Sabrent drive?
2. What is the text of the message of the kernel panic that you observed?

I cannot access the Sabrent web site at the moment, if I could and I had the part number I could try to find a data sheet for the drive. And the data sheet might tell us what the power requirements are in each state. If the drive is too power hungry to work in the PBP (the kernel panic might imply this but need to see the panic message to try to confirm) then there is a listing of compatible NVMe drives - this is always the first place to look before buying an NVMe drive for the PBP.

To help you, you need to help us and that requires you to make some effort working with us not against us.
(08-16-2020, 10:34 AM)lot378 Wrote: Two Sabrent NVMe drives are listed in the PBP hardware compatibility listing - one has a note that the drive might be too power hungry and needs more testing but no follow-up notes have appeared. To go further to help @kkdao you need to tell us:

1. What is the part number for the Sabrent drive?
2. What is the text of the message of the kernel panic that you observed?

I cannot access the Sabrent web site at the moment, if I could and I had the part number I could try to find a data sheet for the drive. And the data sheet might tell us what the power requirements are in each state. If the drive is too power hungry to work in the PBP (the kernel panic might imply this but need to see the panic message to try to confirm) then there is a listing of compatible NVMe drives - this is always the first place to look before buying an NVMe drive for the PBP.

To help you, you need to help us and that requires you to make some effort working with us not against us.
This is the first I'm being asked for info and I was trying to be as informative with my situation as possible, but I'm new to this, so I've no problem providing what you asked for expected for the text of the message of the kernel panic because that went away after I rebooted it.

As for the part number:
SB-ROCKET-1TB
ROCKET NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD
High Performance M.2 GEN3 X 4 SOLID STATE DRIVE

Also FWIW I didn't buy one for it specifically, I just happened to have one available that wasn't in use and thought I'd try it.
Thanks and understood. From the Sabrent site, the only power state information for that drive is 6.6/5.3W (unsure what the two figures mean). The PBP has a power issue with the NVMe adapter it can reliably supply 2.5W continuous and 8.25W peak momentary. When you were copying the installation to the NVMe and got the panic message, it may well have been caused by the power draw. It may be possible to work around it by setting/restricting it to a lower power state.

From the Sabrent site, information in the table at the bottom of the page:
https://www.sabrent.com/product/SB-ROCKE...escription

For power limitations see:
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php?title=...Me_adapter

For how to use the nvme-cli package and nvme command see:

The second section of the wiki contains a link to the NVMe compatability listing.

The nvme command will show you the power usage in each power state.

The cp command that you used was ok.

If you can look at the above wiki sections, read the manual for the nvme command then try to fetch the power states that would be useful info for us to see. Then we can help you to make some sort of judgement about changing the power state before trying the copy again. In the end, it would be good to update the compatibility listing with your drive (it's not there at the moment) with a good/bad and what steps were needed. But first things first, let's see a listing of the power states please.
It's still worth a try, but from what I recall of my 512 Sabrent Rocket (I made that wiki note about power and testing,) the Sabrent drives use APST. nvme-cli can still give insight to its power states, but it may not be able to set the drive to lower one. (Though, from what I understand APST can be disabled through a kernel flag, but I can't recall it.)
(08-17-2020, 06:25 PM)lot378 Wrote: Thanks and understood. From the Sabrent site, the only power state information for that drive is 6.6/5.3W (unsure what the two figures mean). The PBP has a power issue with the NVMe adapter it can reliably supply 2.5W continuous and 8.25W peak momentary. When you were copying the installation to the NVMe and got the panic message, it may well have been caused by the power draw. It may be possible to work around it by setting/restricting it to a lower power state.

The second section of the wiki contains a link to the NVMe compatability listing.

If you can look at the above wiki sections, read the manual for the nvme command then try to fetch the power states that would be useful info for us to see. Then we can help you to make some sort of judgement about changing the power state before trying the copy again. In the end, it would be good to update the compatibility listing with your drive (it's not there at the moment) with a good/bad and what steps were needed. But first things first, let's see a listing of the power states please.

Okay I will try to procure the nvme power status as soon as I get the chance, thanks!
(08-19-2020, 10:37 AM)kkdao Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 06:25 PM)lot378 Wrote: Thanks and understood. From the Sabrent site, the only power state information for that drive is 6.6/5.3W (unsure what the two figures mean). The PBP has a power issue with the NVMe adapter it can reliably supply 2.5W continuous and 8.25W peak momentary. When you were copying the installation to the NVMe and got the panic message, it may well have been caused by the power draw. It may be possible to work around it by setting/restricting it to a lower power state.

Okay I will try to procure the nvme power status as soon as I get the chance, thanks!
The listing of the power states is as follows:

vid      : 0x1987
ssvid    : 0x1987
sn        : 23CD079C199800049777
mn        : Sabrent                               
fr        : RKT303.3
rab      : 1
ieee      : 6479a7
cmic      : 0
mdts      : 9
cntlid    : 0x1
ver      : 0x10300
rtd3r    : 0x989680
rtd3e    : 0x989680
oaes      : 0x200
ctratt    : 0x2
rrls      : 0
cntrltype : 0
fguid    :
crdt1    : 0
crdt2    : 0
crdt3    : 0
oacs      : 0x17
acl      : 3
aerl      : 3
frmw      : 0x12
lpa      : 0x8
elpe      : 62
npss      : 4
avscc    : 0x1
apsta    : 0x1
wctemp    : 348
cctemp    : 353
mtfa      : 100
hmpre    : 0
hmmin    : 0
tnvmcap  : 1024209543168
unvmcap  : 0
rpmbs    : 0
edstt    : 10
dsto      : 0
fwug      : 1
kas      : 0
hctma    : 0x1
mntmt    : 313
mxtmt    : 343
sanicap  : 0
hmminds  : 0
hmmaxd    : 0
nsetidmax : 0
endgidmax : 0
anatt    : 0
anacap    : 0
anagrpmax : 0
nanagrpid : 0
pels      : 0
sqes      : 0x66
cqes      : 0x44
maxcmd    : 256
nn        : 1
oncs      : 0x5d
fuses    : 0
fna      : 0
vwc      : 0x1
awun      : 255
awupf    : 0
nvscc    : 1
nwpc      : 0
acwu      : 0
sgls      : 0
mnan      : 0
subnqn    :
ioccsz    : 0
iorcsz    : 0
icdoff    : 0
ctrattr  : 0
msdbd    : 0
ps    0 : mp:7.13W operational enlat:0 exlat:0 rrt:0 rrl:0
          rwt:0 rwl:0 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    1 : mp:5.29W operational enlat:0 exlat:0 rrt:1 rrl:1
          rwt:1 rwl:1 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    2 : mp:4.36W operational enlat:0 exlat:0 rrt:2 rrl:2
          rwt:2 rwl:2 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    3 : mp:0.0490W non-operational enlat:2000 exlat:2000 rrt:3 rrl:3
          rwt:3 rwl:3 idle_power:- active_power:-
ps    4 : mp:0.0018W non-operational enlat:25000 exlat:25000 rrt:4 rrl:4
          rwt:4 rwl:4 idle_power:- active_power:-

Apologies for the delay, had a very busy week! @lot378

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 155 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,419 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
Thumbs Up NVMe adapter, Great addition dachalife 2 1,725 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  NVMe drives not detected mattpenn 12 10,038 03-05-2022, 04:53 AM
Last Post: mattpenn
  NVme intall usage? tkudog 2 2,794 03-04-2022, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Anyone selling a spare NVMe adapter in Europe? tom.tomasz 1 1,793 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tom.tomasz
  NVMe-related crashes and instability, plus a solution simonsouth 13 14,360 12-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: josmo
  NVMe SSD testing methodology halogen 1 2,555 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: calinb
Question Battery stops charging and NVMe and other media disconnect randomly Eey0zu6O 4 4,631 07-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers
  nvme drive disappears after about an hour of uptime codebreaker 25 31,449 02-09-2021, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dsimic