Is there a better audio / podcast player?
I really love my pinephone.

And I am very close to giving up my android phone, but

I need an audio player that can play locally downloaded files which includes skip buttons, something like skip 15 seconds, or skip 30 seconds.

And I need the authenticator app to support scanning with the camera.

I suspect I will just have to be patient, or willing to type in long keys, for the authenticator app.

Any suggestions for an audio player with skip-ahead/back capability?
(08-06-2020, 04:56 PM)motox6 Wrote: ...

I use mpv. If you bring up the keyboard then all the arrow keys work. It is pretty crude as a music player but potentially can do playlists or whatever - I tend to watch 1-off videos rather than playing hours of music.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I use Podcasts and like it pretty well. It has the features you're talking about. (I've had one crash on it, adding my first feed via rss/atom url, but since, it's been fine.)

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Podcasts
Ooh - forgot the podcast bit in the title of your thread. I found Liferea and, for me, it beats anything I ever had on Android. All my news and podcast feeds in 1 place, easy to back up and restore the config.
Cramped screen for sure on PinePhone and a bit clunky to achieve your +-15 second request: need to turn to landscape mode and then stab the slider with a finger.
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
I am new to pine phone and am navigating the platform.  So far the podcast app has not worked well, though its better than gpodder.  I'm experiencing an issue where my podcast crashes within 20 or so seconds of play.  It does "replay" but seems to go back to the start.  Anyone else having this issue?
(01-06-2021, 09:16 AM)craig412 Wrote: ...  I'm experiencing an issue where my podcast crashes within 20 or so seconds of play. ...

I had that with my Arch playing during most of December - recent updates seem to have cured things. Then again, I haven't had any sound problem with my Mobian playing for a long while.

Which release are you on? If you download and run mpv you will probably find it hiccups but recovers but a proper cure is better :-) If you run podcast or mpv from a terminal you will see the error messages, again no massive help but at least you know what is happening.
I use rhythmbox. though scaling is a problem it does everything I expect.
(08-06-2020, 04:56 PM)motox6 Wrote: (snip)

This is a must have for me too on a daily driver phone.
On my current phone, N900, there is Panucci(FOSS) which works pretty well has -60sec,-15sec, play/pause, +15sec, +60sec, and bookmark touch buttons as well as a progress bar that can be slid around or locked for fumble fingers, also saves position on app close; you can load a playlist, single file, or play in order files in a directory.
The skip buttons, and save on close are deal makers vs a music shuffle app. It would be nice if th Pinephone build was built to play AAC, OGG, m4b and other formats than just MP3 as the Maemo5(N900) build does.
On the N900 it is tied into the system's skip/back/pause for A2DP but not the main system play/pause commands for Pine I think there is one system as I will eventually like to be able to control book playback from a rented car stereo's skip/pause buttons AND from my smartwatch once that integration has been done.

If the deps can be met it will be easy to compile(I just did it on Ubuntu-Mate 20.04) and add to the repos, not sure how to recommend it be added to the build queue though.
https://github.com/gpodder/panucci
Dependencies:
* Python (2.x)
* GStreamer (with python bindings)
* Sqlite
* Mutagen
* GTK (2.x with python bindings)(optional)
* Qt (4.7.x with PySide bindings)(optional)

With a bit more work to port there is also AudioAnchor for Android which might have some useful code or ideas, it seems to support content plugins to get podcasts or audiobook libraries.
https://github.com/flackbash/AudioAnchor
I'm not nuts about flatpak, but I just installed Podcasts and it works great. Generally, I think our best bet is going to be these 'official' Gnome apps. They are most mobile-friendly.
I should post this here too.

I got flatpak installed and grabbed Cozy
https://itsfoss.com/cozy-audiobook-player/

Now I need to figure out scaling as it is unusable for now.(fixed below)
I did install it on my laptop though, I feel like the over-automated nature similar to modern music players auto-scanning the designated music or audiobook directories and no easy option for making a manual playlist hand chosen from files or directories is not welcome. I think that kind of UI is probably common for Android, Win, and Apple devices but is not in keeping in with the hackable flexibility most of us expect from Linux apps.
(edit)
I did
Code:
scale-to-fit com.github.geigi.cozy on
Not great, it is now way too small, but at least I can now see Cozy's whole UI
Maybe toggling the scale-to-fit back off once I feel happy with the settings or have a book loaded.
I wish Cozy had short and long skip forward and back buttons as well as a bookmark button, the UI is overly minimized.
that said with an audiobook player and working telephoney I think I think about using the pine as my primary phone and using my N900 as a backup once I have Bluetooth PAN working so I cna tether my tablet and laptop to mobile-Internet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bluetooth audio revisited 3x5co 1 1,019 01-10-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  No audio on calls after updating today Zebulon Walton 10 4,005 12-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Last Post: BaronAlbatross
  Ringtones and Audio Modes biketool 0 705 09-05-2022, 10:42 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Giving certain audio apps priority on the lock screen and pulldown 3x5co 0 808 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Amberol Mobile Music player(flatpak) biketool 0 883 06-19-2022, 07:16 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Bluetooth audio support? Zebulon Walton 5 3,541 02-28-2022, 08:59 AM
  Podcast about mobian user641 0 833 01-05-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: user641
  Help! Audio stopped working Barugon 4 3,196 11-03-2021, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Barugon
  Can't connet to car audio using bluetooth Barugon 1 1,526 10-16-2021, 01:42 PM
  podcast shuts down after 10 minutes or perhaps bluetooth motox6 10 7,957 09-17-2021, 11:37 AM
Last Post: ragreenburg