Got my Pine 64 today
(02-05-2016, 07:32 PM)tllim Wrote: I have run more than 10 boards in my labs and some boards run continuous more than a week, the temperate that I acquire always lower than 38 degree. I have touch the A64 chip and no one time burn my hand. Please advise on the SoC surface temperate that you have taken.
BTW, this SoC has thermal protection feature, and will reduce the operating speed if temperature goes too high.

Cant be true, i monitor my pine with Rpimonitor and it gets up to more than 80 degrees with just using the browser in mate/lxde. So what are you doing with your pine to keep it at 38 degrees, i doubt you are running it in a fridge? [emoji53]

Just posted a screenshot of my pine for the last days, did not know how to add it here, sorry :-(

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?pid=6903#pid6903

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(04-24-2016, 12:25 PM)Xeonman Wrote: I live in usa still waiting for mine i got the pine64+ 2gb top tier version. My question is i took alook at ur thumb nail pic and the link below pic on one of the forums and I noticed no power on switch ,How do you turn it on? Plug it in then it turns on? 

Huh Huh Huh Huh
http://forum.pine64.org/archive/index.ph...d-367.html

This was an early version of the board, a developer board. Yes I just plug it in and it powers on.
androsch, I'm assuming he means 38°C, not °F. 38°C = 100.4°F.

KryPtAlIvIaN, you had said earlier on that once you had the things up and running, you'd post the image and the apk's for the emulation stuff. Any chance you have that ready yet? I'd love to get my Pine running old game system emulation as well. Thanks.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
(05-03-2016, 08:41 AM)montero65 Wrote: androsch, I'm assuming he means 38°C, not °F. 38°C = 100.4°F.
Yes, i hope so, even 38 degrees C are way too cool for this board? Mine is getting hot to above 80 degrees C of course and afaik longsleeps kernel stops the board about 110 degrees C! So i wonder how he constantly has below 38 degrees C?

Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(05-03-2016, 08:41 AM)montero65 Wrote: androsch, I'm assuming he means 38°C, not °F.  38°C = 100.4°F.

KryPtAlIvIaN, you had said earlier on that once you had the things up and running, you'd post the image and the apk's for the emulation stuff.  Any chance you have that ready yet?  I'd love to get my Pine running old game system emulation as well.  Thanks.

As of right now, I haven't got a working image. I'm waiting on a more stable image, but I know that Lakka, and Recalbox are working on porting their software over.
(05-03-2016, 08:46 AM)androsch Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 08:41 AM)montero65 Wrote: androsch, I'm assuming he means 38°C, not °F.  38°C = 100.4°F.
Yes, i hope so, even 38 degrees C are way too cool for this board? Mine is getting hot to above 80 degrees C of course and afaik longsleeps kernel stops the board about 110 degrees C! So i wonder how he constantly has below 38 degrees C?

I cannot speak for all imgs and OS, but under the most recent debian the cpu throttles at 80*C
[edit] more specifically, it hits 81-83 and then throttles back - so I'm guessing 80*C is it
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-04-2016, 05:50 AM)Luke Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 08:46 AM)androsch Wrote:

I cannot speak for all imgs and OS, but under the most recent debian the cpu throttles at 80*C
[edit] more specifically, it hits 81-83 and then throttles back - so I'm guessing 80*C is it

That depends on the so called THS settings used and is only a kernel thing. Both TL Lim was correct reporting 38°C (since he operated his Pine64 boards back then in February with just one active CPU core any more -- for the reason see below) as well as you are right when you report throttling jumping in at 80°C NOW.

What happened? The community took over.

We all started with the usual horrible BSP kernel (still used with Android and RemixOS). The BSP kernel for A64 is pretty similiar to the one for H3/A83T so everything as expected. The original Allwinner settings lead to killed CPU cores after short load bursts. When using Android this results in a somewhat sluggish user experience but gaming and watching video still works flawlessly with just one CPU core left (due to working drivers that make us of Mali 3D GPU acceleration and CedarX HW accelerated video decoding that do not run on the CPU cores at all).

So what happened? Since the community already knew what to expect some started immediately to port over RPi-Monitor to be used with A64/Pine64, others looked into a way to bring back CPU cores when the horrible BSP kernel THS settings killed CPU cores and we all joined together and spent a lot of efforts on continually improving these settings so that both thermal behaviour improved and performance as well. The whole story can be found here: https://github.com/longsleep/build-pine6...-191982504 and below.

So when you experience really low SoC temperatures with Android or RemixOS the simple reason is that our community developed THS settings (kernel / device tree stuff) were not adopted and that Android/RemixOS already runs on a single or just two cores (this behaviour was pretty easy to reproduce in the beginning. Even short load bursts led to 2 or 3 CPU cores being shut down just like it was with H3 boards back in 2015 before we repaired the settings there).

And that you're now able to enjoy superiour performance within Linux (and maybe also Android/RemixOS) is the result of the aforementioned tuning process a few community members spent a lot of time on.

And the really sad part in this whole story is that OS images that do not adopt these latest fixes are still prone to bad overall performance and that developer's work has been thrown in the bin this way. All this is well known but the information won't be spread by the responsible people.
Alright, so it's understood why tllim has only 38degrees with just using 1 core and for me it's fine my board runs with all cores (also noticable in the rpi(ne)control widget.

Thanks for explaining...
(05-04-2016, 06:37 AM)androsch Wrote: Alright, so it's understood why tllim has only 38degrees with just using 1 core and for me it's fine my board runs with all cores (also noticable in the rpi(ne)control widget.

In case you're running Linux it's easy to reproduce. Disable/check for longsleep's pine64_corekeeper.sh service and disable it when running (I would suspect there are even crappy Linux OS images out there that miss this service!)

And then simply (as root):
Code:
for i in 3 2 1; do echo 0 >/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu${i}/online ; done

(to bring them back replace 'echo 0' with 'echo 1', restart the pine64_corekeeper.sh service or reboot)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  android games playing on pine 64 running Remix os mbjpine64 1 4,595 09-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Last Post: hrlmbtz
  Pine A64 - Android Game station project octopus 22 37,229 07-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Last Post: octopus
Big Grin My pine is ready to ship! What's the status on emulation? pqueiro 0 3,044 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pqueiro
  PINE A64 EmulationStation a Flop? Or I'm noob? Hoarfen 9 13,932 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Luke