My last Pebble recently died. What should I do now?
I was extremely happy to read the news that the Early Adopter editions would be coming soon. I've been holding the buttons on my Pebble 2 in place with tape for a while, and hoping that I could order a sealed PineTime with a bootloader and half-functional software before it finally quit. Alas, that was not meant to be.

I didn't want to order a dev kit because I have more projects than time already and really wouldn't be able to contribute much to the development effort, especially in these early days. Not that that's even an option right now, as the website shows they're out of stock.

I'm not here to complain about the website stock or the development, production, or release timelines. I'm not even here to beg for an update on the release schedule. The things'll be ready when they're ready.

Not being able to receive notifications on my wrist has left me feeling kind of naked, to say nothing of having to pull my phone out of its holster to find out what time it was. It's gotten to the point where I've started getting anxious.

If the dev kits were still in stock late last week, I probably would have bought one and tried to find a way around the fact that they weren't water-resistant. (at least to the "able to wash dishes or take a shower with it on" level)

If you were me, what would you do?

Either buy another Pebble or a low-end Wear-OS watch to tide me over?
Or just suck it up and wait until the Early Adopter PineTimes are available?
I love my Pebble 2 and hope someday to get it connected to the Pine Phone 64 I recently received. I see there is an App already available to do that, but I still can't get my PPhone 64 to even connect to the Mint Mobile cell towers as it's a work in progress, Anyway, while you still can, I'd get one off eBay. I've even seen some brand new sealed units on occasion. My concern with them would be the battery. Long live the Pebble.
What killed all three of my pebbles was water.

A couple of the buttons tore on the Pebble 2 and allowed water into the case.

On both of the Time Steels, the adhesive holding the front bezel onto the case body softened and relaxed until a gap formed, which allowed water into the case.

This is why relying on glue to hold the case of PineTime together doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
(07-29-2020, 07:57 PM)melstav Wrote: What killed all three of my pebbles was water.

A couple of the buttons tore on the Pebble 2 and allowed water into the case.

On both of the Time Steels, the adhesive holding the front bezel onto the case body  softened and relaxed until a gap formed, which allowed water into the case.

This is why relying on glue to hold the case of PineTime together doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
The 2 Pebbles I've had are the initial crowd funding version one which the battery eventually died and leaked inside and my current Pebble 2 which is still plugging along and holding a full charge that lasts about 6 days.
(07-29-2020, 09:13 PM)Lt. Dillinger Wrote: The 2 Pebbles I've had are the initial crowd funding version one which the battery eventually died and leaked inside and my current Pebble 2 which is still plugging along and holding a full charge that lasts about 6 days.

Yeah. I was still getting most of a week on a charge, too, before the damn things shorted out and quit booting.
There's a lot to be said for waiting! PineTime is a nice little device and there's a vibrant and growing community around it.

More than that PineTime is also more or less unique because it is sold with the intention if it being user programmable. The internals of the PineTime are almost the same as the large range of watches the come with the DaFit app (and which can be hacked to run user supplied software using DaFlasher) but the PineTime is user programmable by design. That is something many folks here would be keen to support, and it is the philosophy of Pine64!

So, whilst I recently bought a couple of DaFit watches in order to get wasp-os running on them (actually one is already running), that was only because I already had a couple of PineTime (one to wear and one for bootloader hacking). I expect PineTime to remain the lead device for wasp-os for some time to come.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye
(07-29-2020, 07:55 AM)melstav Wrote: If you were me, what would you do?

Look into anything supported by Gadgetbridge.  I'm using a Mi Band 4 until the PineTime is ready for daily use.
You don't have to sell me on the idea of getting a PineTime when they're eventually available. I fully intend to get one. If I get something else, it might delay me getting a PineTime some, but it'll still happen.

But without a smartwatch, I'm starting to feel like a chain-smoker on a trans-Atlantic flight who ran out of nicotine patches and gum.
Heart 
Melstav, I was in your same situation about the Pebble.
My 3 Pebbles broke because of water, and I've bought the fourth on eBay while playing with the Pinetime in the meanwhile.
It is a viable alternative for me, the only actual (for the time-being) deal-breaker is it not being waterproof, hence the fourth Pebble.
Apart from that, I'm quite astonished to see Pinetime's capabilities, having bought a Dev-Kit I am now sure I will buy the future editions.
(07-29-2020, 07:55 AM)melstav Wrote: If you were me, what would you do?

Either buy another Pebble or a low-end Wear-OS watch to tide me over?
Or just suck it up and wait until the Early Adopter PineTimes are available?

hey, man.
i am a fanboy of both pine64 and pebble.

so i know there is an effort to rewrite pebbleOS, to make it open source. it is called rebbleOS, and i suggest to poke the devs and see if they have any plans of supporting pinetime.
i hope they have or can be convinced to do so.

omg, i just found this comment, posted just recently:
https://www.pine64.org/2020/07/15/july-u...mment-2081