Kinda upset at the lack of response to GBe issues
OK, thanks for making that clear again. Will try your board in my environment and report here.

Gesendet von meinem ME371MG mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(08-30-2016, 01:30 PM)androsch Wrote: I agree at the moment, there only seems to be a good workaround by fixing the ethernet port to a 100mbs speed, but this should be done with the right tools and not by seducing hardware parts.

hi androsch, we now have two work-arounds: 1) software: requires intervention, 2) hardware: is automatic.

... everyone is free to decide which work-around works best in their environment. I choose to modify my ethernet cable so that negotiation automatically defaults to 100 mb/s (high-speed ethernet) by default with no intervention.

I have now made micro graphs of my three boards so that precise comparisons may be made of the precise components used, and how those components compare to the known schematic and mods data sheet. 

I am also going to risk re-flowing the solder connections to the ethernet port of the board that does not work properly; I have nothing to lose , and everything to gain.

In the mean time, my wired network including GbE switch is clicking along without a hitch.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(08-20-2016, 04:03 AM)benjanyan Wrote: I noticed we have "FC TX/RC" here.

That's interesting. FC is flow control. OFF with Pine64+ and TX/RX with the other device. Can you please monitor flow-control status on Pain64 side using 'sudo mii-tool -v' (might require an 'apt-get install net-tools' first). Would be interesting what both sides report when connection works and when not. Thanks.
hi, I eliminated faulty soldering on the ethernet port on my defective board ( GbE ) by reflowing the solder connections to the port itself. My solder connections before the re-flow looked like cold solder joints. Reflowing made the joints 'look' better to my expert soldering eyes but did not change the behavior of the GbE connection to that board. 100 /full of course still works brilliantly so I'm glad I didn't damage the board either.
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(09-01-2016, 03:00 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 04:03 AM)benjanyan Wrote: I noticed we have "FC TX/RC" here.

That's interesting. FC is flow control. OFF with Pine64+ and TX/RX with the other device. Can you please monitor flow-control status on Pain64 side using 'sudo mii-tool -v' (might require an 'apt-get install net-tools' first). Would be interesting what both sides report when connection works and when not. Thanks.

"Pain64" is right.
(08-30-2016, 02:19 PM)tkaiser Wrote: I hope that I can reproduce the issue when your board arrives. But if two minor issues are combined (instable clock here and missing negotiation there) weird things might happen and maybe your board will work here without any problems. Let's see.

Received your developers board, it just ran out of the box with GbE as server:

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
[ 5] 0.00-120.03 sec 2.50 GBytes 179 Mbits/sec sender
[ 5] 0.00-120.03 sec 2.50 GBytes 179 Mbits/sec receiver
[ 7] 0.00-120.03 sec 2.32 GBytes 166 Mbits/sec sender
[ 7] 0.00-120.03 sec 2.32 GBytes 166 Mbits/sec receiver
[ 9] 0.00-120.03 sec 2.04 GBytes 146 Mbits/sec sender
[ 9] 0.00-120.03 sec 2.04 GBytes 146 Mbits/sec receiver
[ 11] 0.00-120.03 sec 1.85 GBytes 133 Mbits/sec sender
[ 11] 0.00-120.03 sec 1.85 GBytes 133 Mbits/sec receiver
[SUM] 0.00-120.03 sec 8.71 GBytes 623 Mbits/sec sender
[SUM] 0.00-120.03 sec 8.71 GBytes 623 Mbits/sec receiver

So it's definite my board, which is unable to do GbE (at least as server), its nothing with my environment or my network or myself Undecided

Will try mitools and keep you all posted, tkaiser already mentioned this again to me, the FlowControl seems to be an issue now, i already played around with the TX/RX delays before, but that seemed to be the wrong part of it, maybe FC is the better issue.

Thanks to tkaiser for his help and support, we already agreed by PN he will not go on further in this forum with this and i understand his reasons completely.

Beiing still unsure how to go on, because my board is defective, but i don't want to bother too much with it and can (not too happy, but can) live with the 100mbps and also still hope for the 'big thing' to solve this issue. Ay help from my side is offered and any ideas regarding FC are very welcome.
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(09-01-2016, 12:16 PM)androsch Wrote: Thanks to tkaiser for his help and support, we already agreed by PN he will not go on further in this forum with this and i understand his reasons completely.

It's a shame that we are losing tkaiser. I found his posts helpful. 

I wish, since we know this is a PINE hardware issue now, that they would just acknowledge this and send us new boards. I bought into this project (VERY early on, as I have noted before) BECAUSE of the GbE. Were it not for that, I would have stuck with my RaspberryPi, which did Fast Ethernet just fine.

So what now I wonder?
(09-01-2016, 12:35 PM)amc2012 Wrote: I wish, since we know this is a PINE hardware issue now, that they would just acknowledge this and send us new boards. I bought into this project (VERY early on, as I have noted before) BECAUSE of the GbE. Were it not for that, I would have stuck with my RaspberryPi, which did Fast Ethernet just fine.

hi,  I am just wondering, what is your use case?

... in practical application I have yet to see my board (on fast ethernet  100 /full) operate at speeds even close to 100mb/s;  even to memory tmpfs.  All of the other components on the board really make having a GbE port kinda useless; in fact, its just silly actually-- its like putting a super-charger on a model-T Ford.

I am very curious ( now that I am 99% sure this is strictly a hardware issue on these boards ) just what it is [ bad chip, missing cap, improper resistor, cold solder joint, &c] it really doesn't matter. The one board that does not do GbE is plugged into my GbE switch with a four wire cable clicking along in practical terms at something less than 100mb/s and life goes on. 

My question for all GbE customers out there ( just morose curiosity ) what is your use case where GbE is going to buy you realization that you don't already have with 100mb/s ?
marcushh777    Cool

(09-01-2016, 05:28 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(09-01-2016, 12:35 PM)amc2012 Wrote: I wish, since we know this is a PINE hardware issue now, that they would just acknowledge this and send us new boards. I bought into this project (VERY early on, as I have noted before) BECAUSE of the GbE. Were it not for that, I would have stuck with my RaspberryPi, which did Fast Ethernet just fine.

... in practical application I have yet to see my board (on fast ethernet  100 /full) operate at speeds even close to 100mb/s;  even to memory tmpfs.  All of the other components on the board really make having a GbE port kinda useless; in fact, its just silly actually-- its like putting a super-charger on a model-T Ford.

I am very curious ( now that I am 99% sure this is strictly a hardware issue on these boards ) just what it is [ bad chip, missing cap, improper resistor, cold solder joint, &c] it really doesn't matter. The one board that does not do GbE is plugged into my GbE switch with a four wire cable clicking along in practical terms at something less than 100mb/s and life goes on. 

My question for all GbE customers out there ( just morose curiosity ) what is your use case where GbE is going to buy you realization that you don't already have with 100mb/s ?

First of all ITS DOESN'T ACTUALY MATTER ..... it should just work as advertised, djeez
....if you agree its broken stop discussing...

And then the killer answer you've somehow been begging for for weeks ... NFS ..... in fact NFS will give you blazing speeds over GbE on my odroid.
Its faster than eMMC/SD/USB storage, my NAS has an SSD especially for all my embedded devices and their NFS shares.
Most of them just get their entire root partition over NFS, so yes GbE is quite usefull (8-9 MBps vs +/- 100 MBps)
Hope that satisfies your question
(09-01-2016, 05:28 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

I answered that question the first time you asked it, maybe a month ago.

If you want to find out my use case, you can go back and look for it.

Personally though, I don't see why it's important, and while I like everyone here just fine, I'm not interested in hearing about everyone's use cases. It's not helpful to the issue, it's not relevant to the issue - it just doesn't matter. 

Also not helpful is you inferring that Fast Ethernet is fine for you so why does anyone else really need it? Are you really asking once again why we need GbE if we have Fast Ethernet? I was one of the first 1400 backers of this project SOLELY because I wanted GbE. I've used GbE in my home network for the better part of two decades now. I have a "use case" where I need GbE on my board, and I paid for a board with GbE on it that's not working. I'm not making a big stink about this just because it's a feature that's not working and I want to hold someone accountable for something I don't need or use. Neither am I here because I enjoy being in a thread where I'm asked to provide a reason why I need a feature I paid for and never dreamed wouldn't work on my deliverable. 

I'm here because I need GbE speeds and because the board I purchased was spec'd to that and it's not working.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I think we need to confine these threads to solving the issue and not to questioning whether or not we all really need to be here (because Fast Ethernet should be good enough, right)?

As far as your numbers go, in practical terms, I get ~90MB/s or slightly better out of my internal network going from my FreeNAS box to my Windows machines over a CIFS share. 

With my PINE, even 60-70MB/s would be far better than the ~14MB/s up and 33MB/s down I get over the GbE adapter I have connected to the USB port to try to get SOMETHING better out of this board.